Having Trouble With Outside Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, this morning one got out when I tried to feed them. So now it's 4 inside, 4 outside. I'm gonna keep trying. The two really scared ones are good with being in there, but mom really wants out. She is a sweatheart.
I'm back at 5 inside. They would just walk in, but Mom really wants out, and is waiting by the door. I've been trying to trap the remaining ones, but their on to me. One of them is a gray tabby named Baby Girl, and I can just pick her up and carry her in.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's how it was with us, too, when we moved here, J Jack Nubbins -- I normally would not do anything in violation of anything which might place my loved ones at risk! as that is always top priority for me, and I agree 100% with you. But I had to airlift 12 of my loved ones to safety and that left me with 9, 3 over the limit. As they were all indoors and I take very good care of my cats, I knew there would be no problem, and there wasn't. Even in the Mojave, I was told verbally that there was some kind of quota, but out there, no one paid any attention to what anyone else did, which in our case was very good and which in a lot of other cases could/can be very bad (as in the recent Culwell dog case I've posted about in a separate thread in the forum for cats and other animals).

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokey Joe is giving love. It’s posssible that if socialized he can be taught to be easier. Play with other things might help too. He didn’t have a human to teach him as a young one so he is doing what he knows as love. I have some nibbles too. A true cat person will know and understand if he is still doing that when he finds a home. Just make it clear that he is a nibbled and gives loves bites before anyone gets him. Personally, I don’t mind a kitty love bite! I understand that the kitty is using that to communicate affection and playfulness.
Hopefully you will never have an issue with numbers of cats. I agree though, the cats are first. You can always find another place where they will be accepted.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's how it was with us, too, when we moved here, J Jack Nubbins -- I normally would not do anything in violation of anything which might place my loved ones at risk! as that is always top priority for me, and I agree 100% with you. But I had to airlift 12 of my loved ones to safety and that left me with 9, 3 over the limit. As they were all indoors and I take very good care of my cats, I knew there would be no problem, and there wasn't. Even in the Mojave, I was told verbally that there was some kind of quota, but out there, no one paid any attention to what anyone else did, which in our case was very good and which in a lot of other cases could/can be very bad (as in the recent Culwell dog case I've posted about in a separate thread in the forum for cats and other animals).
I'm pretty sure they would let me slide. The only infraction I could see is that one of my girls is overweight. I cannot figure out why. I feed 2 cans of wet in
We've always trusted Advantage. We've tried other brands, but Advantage has always been the one for us.
As for that large sandbox in the back, are you able to fill it with "nice garden dirt"? When we lived in the Mojave, my ex built a large box and filled it with our soil, which was sandy substrate (cats' preferred filler, since cats are ancestrally desert animals and sand is what they are used to). I'd scoop it several times daily and when it needed it, it got dumped and buried and refilled.
If they end up back outside, I will try this. I don't know why I didn't think of this. Years ago my daughter had garden boxes in the back when she was vegan and there were a couple strays that used them as litter boxes.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU for caring and acting upon that caring, J Jack Nubbins and here are some links:
www.alleycat.org This is Alley Cat Allies' website. They are the premiere database for all things feline and particularly outdoor/free-roaming/feral/street/stray/community cats.
www.bestfriends.org/resources Many links to groups nationwide and helpful suggestions regarding cats outdoors.
www.animal

THANK YOU, J Jack Nubbins for caring and acting upon that caring! Here are some links which may be helpful:

www.alleycat.org Alley Cat Allies is the premiere database for all things feline, with emphasis on outdoor cats.
www.bestfriends.org/resources
RESCUED! Is My Favorite Breed. Has a dropdown by-state menu you can click on to access local and nearby rescue groups.
www.animalrescuedirectory.net
You can use your computer's search engine and input things like "cat rescues in (your location)" "TNR groups in (your location)", etc.
Thanks for the info. I will try every one of them. They are all TNR'd, but most of them are sweet cats, which I think leads them to be comfortable going into neighbors yards. Even when they are outside.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I found a couple of websites that have information. Whether you're able to utilize any of it at this point I don't know, but I wanted to post it just in case.

There might be something here that you and your neighbors can utilize;

Keeping Cats Out of Gardens and Yards

Towards the bottom of this page is information that could be useful for you, or for other readers/lurkers;

Feral Cat Caretakers' Coalition: Managed Care
I was at first hoping to work with them on a solution, but they don't appreciate what I was trying to do. They seem to avoid all contact with me now. I pulled in my driveway just as the neighbor did, and went through my mail in my truck. She waited until I was finished and inside my house before she left her truck. It could be coincidence, but I don't think so.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK...quick search, and I'm posting the google search results page. Bear in mind that these guys quite often network with each other, so ANY of them may be able to give you more referrals! They ALL deal with feral cats in Wisconsin!

feral cat rescue wisconsin - Google Search
Damn, I had so many replies so fast that I missed some. Thanks for the help. I've been searching google too but came up with different results. All saying they are at capacity and can't help...and that there are way more cats than there are people that want them...and to search within my own county. I tried my own county first. That's why I branched out.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am overwhelmed by all of the support here, and truly grateful. I just wanted to update that all 8 kitties are in my garage. Some not happy about it, but they are getting better. I have some pictures of some of them. They didn't cooperate with me on the pictures. i am awaiting approval on some of the facebook rescue pages that deal with feral cats. I will update when I get some postings listed. There seems to be a lot of good people on there too. Now I feel bad as I seen a big raccoon walking through my yard probably looking for leftover scraps from the kitties.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, wait until your neighbors are dealing with that raccoon! They'll miss the kitties then! We have a big sow raccoon at my apartment complex who actually works with our neighborhood cats. She comes along and opens the dumpster side door, gets what she wants, and then the cats move in!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, wait until your neighbors are dealing with that raccoon! They'll miss the kitties then! We have a big sow raccoon at my apartment complex who actually works with our neighborhood cats. She comes along and opens the dumpster side door, gets what she wants, and then the cats move in!
There are raccoons here, too. As far as I know, they never bother anyone. I sometimes have my watering can on the front verandah dumped, and then I know someone -- probably a raccooon --has come by and gotten a drink/washed.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in on you. You got them all in. Progress! Yay! Just keep working on finding the right homes. It takes time. Give your neighbors some time and space too. Right now stay focused on the cats. The neighbors will probably get over it later. Mine did once the cats were gone. In fact, they miss them keeping the snakes away. I knew they would. Lol At least they learned a little appreciation for all the cats did to improve the area!