Having Trouble With Outside Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fantastic news! We are all thankful to you!
You certainly rounded them up quickly! Great work! Hopefully the others come in right behind these.
I understand how the kitties prefer nice garden dirt. When I brought in my kitties they all likes the scent of nice pine needles. :lol: I had to add pine needles from the yard to to their litter boxes for a while to please them. They finally allowed me to use plain litter without giving me the scornful looks. Lol
I’m so sorry the neighbors are doing this. The ones that fed cats without doing TNR thought they were helping but actually they just encouraged more to come and breed. I’m glad they cared enough to keep them from starving. Those are the neighbors who might be encouraged to learn. Maybe attitudes will lighten up. I hope so.
From your description of the cats, it seems like they are not really feral. Semi feral maybe or previously pets that were dumped/neglected/abandoned and had to learn to survive outside. You have done such great work with them you have a very good shot at finding them loving and permanent homes. I don’t know if you caught the previous post about Next door but they might be able to help along with the other groups mentioned. @Mamanyt1953 will see this tag and now that we have your location, maybe we can find more resources. You go ahead and contact the ones already mentioned and post back to us with their responses. After you catch the other kitties, of course. We’ll be watching for any updates. Bravo!!! :goldstar::rock:
Yeah, this morning one got out when I tried to feed them. So now it's 4 inside, 4 outside. I'm gonna keep trying. The two really scared ones are good with being in there, but mom really wants out. She is a sweatheart.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a farm/large animal vet in the area? If so, put up some posters in their office. Horse people (in particular) often want nice healthy spayed/neutered barn cats who are used to being outside and can hunt. I think you should be able to find placements for them that way. Also ask all the cat rescues if they have a farm cat program.

And, yeah, if you think their lives are in danger, build a cage and get them in there until you can find a better situation. It might not be ideal but a lot better than the alternative.
Great idea. I do have my vet in Elkorn that does large animals. I will do that.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I found a couple of websites that have information. Whether you're able to utilize any of it at this point I don't know, but I wanted to post it just in case.

There might be something here that you and your neighbors can utilize;

Keeping Cats Out of Gardens and Yards

Towards the bottom of this page is information that could be useful for you, or for other readers/lurkers;

Feral Cat Caretakers' Coalition: Managed Care
I was going to offer to fence in their garden, or put the soft cat spikes in there, but she recommended just dumping them off in the middle of nowhere. She has no concern for these guys, just wants them gone.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhh! One slipped out on you. I know that was frustrating. Just keep working on it.
If you are above your limits then you’ll need to adopt out as many as you can of the others. I understand wanting to keep certain ones. If you are providing all they need then hopefully no one will cause you any issues. Do take care about letting your neighbors know that you are over that limit. You are doing a fantastic job and everyone here understands how we bond with certain ones but your neighbors won’t. I know it’s hard to part with a beloved one but try to remember that you don’t want any more trouble with neighbors. You are already having enough of that. I totally sympathize with you. It took me awhile to make mine understand that I was clearing the area but it takes time. I have parted with more than a few and each one was hard for me. Some more difficult than others but getting them somewhere safe was my most important goal. My neighbors are glad now that things have changed. I ‘m sure yours will be too when you are finished helping the kitties. Make sure you keep all the vet records on the kitties and stay up to date on vet care. The paperwork could be helpful as you go forward. You just hang in there! I know how much time and effort you are putting into this. Love too! You’re awesome!:yess::)

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK...quick search, and I'm posting the google search results page. Bear in mind that these guys quite often network with each other, so ANY of them may be able to give you more referrals! They ALL deal with feral cats in Wisconsin!

feral cat rescue wisconsin - Google Search[/QUO
Thank you, I am trying to communicate with
It is a never-ending problem, I realize. But, have you considered negotiating with your neighbors about contributing toward having a large catio built in your yard to confine the cats to? If you can pay for it yourself, all the better. You can even make separate compartments in it if they don't all get along.

Come winter, you would have to address how to provide some warmth, but that is for another day...
If they're still here, they'll be warm. That's my biggest concern. I built two heated house last fall so they could stay warm. One was an outside, elevated house. The other I built inside my back shed with platforms to jump to just to get in(my attemp to keep other animals out), but then I found myself really heartbroken for the raccoons and possums. Most people wouldn't care about that. I wish I had that ability.
Uhh! One slipped out on you. I know that was frustrating. Just keep working on it.
If you are above your limits then you’ll need to adopt out as many as you can of the others. I understand wanting to keep certain ones. If you are providing all they need then hopefully no one will cause you any issues. Do take care about letting your neighbors know that you are over that limit. You are doing a fantastic job and everyone here understands how we bond with certain ones but your neighbors won’t. I know it’s hard to part with a beloved one but try to remember that you don’t want any more trouble with neighbors. You are already having enough of that. I totally sympathize with you. It took me awhile to make mine understand that I was clearing the area but it takes time. I have parted with more than a few and each one was hard for me. Some more difficult than others but getting them somewhere safe was my most important goal. My neighbors are glad now that things have changed. I ‘m sure yours will be too when you are finished helping the kitties. Make sure you keep all the vet records on the kitties and stay up to date on vet care. The paperwork could be helpful as you go forward. You just hang in there! I know how much time and effort you are putting into this. Love too! You’re awesome!:yess::)
Thank you for all the kind words. I know letting them go will be super hard. They each are so unique with their personalities. Even the ones I cant touch breaks my heart thinking about how they'll handle a new environment. One I call Smokey Joe is all gray, not striped. He comes up behind me when I'm feeding and bites my pant leg and starts pulling. It's a game to him. Then I chase him and he runs away.. I think he likes it, because he keeps doing it.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eeesh, well, good on you for hanging in there with the cats!
I see your description says "especially black cats"...I have two beautiful brother and sister long hair black sweethearts....just kidding. I'm sure everyone here is like me....at their limit or beyond.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see your description says "especially black cats"...I have two beautiful brother and sister long hair black sweethearts....just kidding. I'm sure everyone here is like me....at their limit or beyond.
I love your description of Smokey Joe. Tugging at your pants leg to get you to play! Awww! Many of us are at our limit but every once in awhile someone gives in! :lol: We all wish we could.;) Black long haired sweethearts! Yes, we do wish. If you checked me out then you know I am at my limit.:ohwell: I too search for more homes although I’ve had very good luck finding loving families so far. Your very best options are to trust the links to the groups sent to you in the posts on this thread. The people giving you these tips are giving excellent assistance. The kitties will be handled with tender loving care. If Next door, Bestfriends or any of those listed by others offer you assistance, follow up on it. Ask the questions you feel you need to ask and get the help these kitties need from you.
There are people out there who would love the kitties as much as you do. I have heard back from some of the families or individuals who adopted the kitties I worked to save. Their stories warmed my heart. One example for you is a woman who wrote that she was very grateful for the way I had taught the kitty and that he had completed their family. She went on to tell me how much he loved to play and about his favorite kinds of toys. I could tell by what she wrote that I had done the right thing by letting him go to them. He is their only kitty right now and is probably getting a bit spoiled! Lol I get texts, phone calls and emails with updated on many of the kitties. These are very happy stories for me to hear since I loved them all so much! I got some great photos at Christmas and have gotten some on the kitty’s birthday or adoption day. One kitty is so tame that he takes walks in the park in the city with his adopted Mom and “ his dog!” I laughed at the idea of that feral kitty having his own dog to walk in the park! Amazing things can happen so you just keep loving the kitties and looking for the right family for the Black Sweethearts and Smokey Joe. If you need help going to those web links or finding the right people match for the kitties, you just let us know. The Feral Coalition has a wonderful adoption application you can use if you find people who want a kitty. We’ll be checking back in on your posts. :goodluck::cheerleader:

To maggie101 maggie101 You did do them a favor by helping the kitties there! You did the kitties an even bigger favor! :clap2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your description of Smokey Joe. Tugging at your pants leg to get you to play! Awww! Many of us are at our limit but every once in awhile someone gives in! :lol: We all wish we could.;) Black long haired sweethearts! Yes, we do wish. If you checked me out then you know I am at my limit.:ohwell: I too search for more homes although I’ve had very good luck finding loving families so far. Your very best options are to trust the links to the groups sent to you in the posts on this thread. The people giving you these tips are giving excellent assistance. The kitties will be handled with tender loving care. If Next door, Bestfriends or any of those listed by others offer you assistance, follow up on it. Ask the questions you feel you need to ask and get the help these kitties need from you.
There are people out there who would love the kitties as much as you do. I have heard back from some of the families or individuals who adopted the kitties I worked to save. Their stories warmed my heart. One example for you is a woman who wrote that she was very grateful for the way I had taught the kitty and that he had completed their family. She went on to tell me how much he loved to play and about his favorite kinds of toys. I could tell by what she wrote that I had done the right thing by letting him go to them. He is their only kitty right now and is probably getting a bit spoiled! Lol I get texts, phone calls and emails with updated on many of the kitties. These are very happy stories for me to hear since I loved them all so much! I got some great photos at Christmas and have gotten some on the kitty’s birthday or adoption day. One kitty is so tame that he takes walks in the park in the city with his adopted Mom and “ his dog!” I laughed at the idea of that feral kitty having his own dog to walk in the park! Amazing things can happen so you just keep loving the kitties and looking for the right family for the Black Sweethearts and Smokey Joe. If you need help going to those web links or finding the right people match for the kitties, you just let us know. The Feral Coalition has a wonderful adoption application you can use if you find people who want a kitty. We’ll be checking back in on your posts. :goodluck::cheerleader:

To maggie101 maggie101 You did do them a favor by helping the kitties there! You did the kitties an even bigger favor! :clap2:
Luckily I met someone to help me out. I do not have much money especially since I quit my job!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering what the laws are in Wisconsin?
My friends neighbor in San Diego, was complaining about her cats
and the complainer contacted the Human society, They told her there wasn't anything she could do, They were neutered and cared for.
My friend has gone above and beyond to keep the cats out of her yard.
It's a conundrum tho, they are our neighbors, we don't want to upset them,
but it's hard!
I would talk to the neighbors and let them know you are trying to resolve the situation, keep them up to date on your progress, so they can back off a bit?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I want to keep her. She is the sweetest cat I have ever seen. I can't walk outside without her getting trampled under my feet. She gets nervous when I pick her up...but she stays. I have her sister in here(I think). We rescued an approximately 3 week old kitten last spring. The neighbor saw a mom drop it when he startled her, and she had been outside by herself for hours. I came home and he asked if I wanted a kitty, and I said "I can't"....then I saw her. I think they're from the same litter. My neighbor described the mom to me. I am above my limit by my village rules. I have 6 cats. The limit is 3. My house is clean, I have 23 litter boxes set up (my old friend died a few years ago, and he liked to pee...so we put litterboxes everywhere. He especially liked to fill our shoes with pee, but anything new on the floor was going to get pee'd on). I spend about 2 hours every day between taking care of inside/outside cats. That doesn't include the time they spend on my lap.
IDK if you own, lease or rent but if you own, hopefully you will be able to keep her. I've never lived in a condo or other place where there are "village rules" but in rentals, I've been careful to adhere to the landlord's rules, because I would not want to place my cats in jeopardy. Now, we own the home. There is a quota in this city, and we were over that when we moved here, but all cats are indoors only and no one is aware they are even here. Over the years we have lived here, we are now at only three cats, below the quota. Only you can know your own circumstances and whether or not it would be feasible to adopt her, but based on your post, it sounds do-able.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
2 reasons stray cats always come to my porch. I have lots of bird feeders outside and my location is the most peaceful spot. No walkways, which is why the leasing office doesn't know about my cats and in the back away from the pool and playground. I leave my windows wide open!
Blessing I diescise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 reasons stray cats always come to my porch. I have lots of bird feeders outside and my location is the most peaceful spot. No walkways, which is why the leasing office doesn't know about my cats and in the back away from the pool and playground. I leave my windows wide open!
Blessing I diescise
Sounds very nice!

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Smokey Joe is such a cool little guy, he has just one issue. He also gives love bites, and he doesn't know his strength. He doesn't break the skin, but whoever ends up with him needs to be ok with this. I think it's adorable, but I wouldn't want someone to hurt him over it.

Jack Nubbins

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IDK if you own, lease or rent but if you own, hopefully you will be able to keep her. I've never lived in a condo or other place where there are "village rules" but in rentals, I've been careful to adhere to the landlord's rules, because I would not want to place my cats in jeopardy. Now, we own the home. There is a quota in this city, and we were over that when we moved here, but all cats are indoors only and no one is aware they are even here. Over the years we have lived here, we are now at only three cats, below the quota. Only you can know your own circumstances and whether or not it would be feasible to adopt her, but based on your post, it sounds do-able.
I own my home (well the bank does for a while yet). It says on my village website that the limit for cats is 3. I have never heard of them enforcing this though, and they probably wouldn't if the cats were well cared for.
I would walk away from my house before surrendering my indoor cats.