Have You Had A Cat Re-chipped Due To Migration?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this for at least two years, and I'm not sure what to do. The last time he was scanned for a visit, they couldn't find it. I insisted that it's there. Sure enough, it was.
Like down by his armpit.
Yep.

Tommy Gargoyle used to be 21 lbs, and was chipped as a kitten, before the obesity. I svelted him down to 13, and he's been as low as 12.25 lbs. My bub has received fluids a few times over this shoulders, and his chip is on the side that I've seen that giant lump of fluid move towards when gravity takes hold.

I worry that he'll get lost (he escaped 2 winters ago) and they'll go to scan him, and assume he doesn't have it, and I won't get put in contact with my boy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think a vet would agree to rechipping. My boy has a chip but he also has a super long neck so he has problems with the microchip cat door not being able to scan his chip. His collar sits low on his neck so putting a tag on his collar also wasn't working. I asked if rechipping was an option to have it higher but I was told there is a very firm one chip policy.

I'd also be worried about further migration of the chip if you had a new one put in. Maybe check with your local shelter and ask if they just scan the neck or do a body check? It can't be an unheard of situation. The other thing would be keeping a collar on him as a secondary identification.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about this for at least two years, and I'm not sure what to do. The last time he was scanned for a visit, they couldn't find it. I insisted that it's there. Sure enough, it was.
Like down by his armpit.
Yep.

Tommy Gargoyle used to be 21 lbs, and was chipped as a kitten, before the obesity. I svelted him down to 13, and he's been as low as 12.25 lbs. My bub has received fluids a few times over this shoulders, and his chip is on the side that I've seen that giant lump of fluid move towards when gravity takes hold.

I worry that he'll get lost (he escaped 2 winters ago) and they'll go to scan him, and assume he doesn't have it, and I won't get put in contact with my boy.
Whenever I have had an animal scanned for a chip, I live out in the country and a lot of times, dogs lose their way home and end up on my porch looking for food, anyhow when they scan them, they run the scanner all over the animal, not just the neck and shoulder area. Not sure if that is a wide-spread practice or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing would be keeping a collar on him as a secondary identification.
He's the only cat that refuses to wear a collar. I tried so many times when he was growing up. He takes them off. The last time, we had a chat, and I said "Can you keep this one on for at least a few hours and try it?". He did. By the end of the day it was gone. Weeks later I found it on top of the kitchen cabinet as I was walking down the stairs.

We've had strays scanned before, but what I at least saw in the Phoenix area, was generally scanning the neck and shoulders. This vet's office in Arlington Virginia thought I was quite mistaken when I told them he's chipped.

I was mistaken about Stewart. I thought I'd gotten him chipped when he was younger, but I hadn't. I couldn't figure out why the microchip flaps and feeders weren't working for him. He'll wear a collar with a chip tag. I got him chipped 2 years ago in a panic when it finally clicked that he didn't actually have one.
1+1 not equaling 2 here... check your paperwork. Didn't have a file for him in my binder. Bingo.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried Beastie Bands? My boy is a collar escape artist too and Beastie Bands seem to stay on fairly good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Beastie Bands? My boy is a collar escape artist too and Beastie Bands seem to stay on fairly good.
They look like one of those obscure things I've missed. I'm not familiar with any of the online boutiques they list on their site. Google shows them on Amazon. Might give it a try.