Has Your Cat Ever Eaten Anything Weird?

Cazz4catsbelinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My baby, Belinda who I call Boo Boo has an obsession with plastic, usually plastic shopping bags, bin liners, especially thin plastic bags. I have to hide everything like that, at first I thought she was just playing/chewing until one day I noticed she had what I thought was something stuck to her tail. It was actually hanging from her bottom so I pulled it out (yes very yucky) she was not happy. It was very long, I know it must have been painful for her but I couldn't just leave it there. I just don't believe it, she can smell the plastic and always finds some everwhere, she is eating them I know recycling is good but preferably not by my baby eating it and pooping it out. Seriously though it is very dangerous, it could get stuck in her tummy or bowel etc. I know what you're talking about. Has anyone else ever heard of cats eating plastic? Cazz4catsbelinda

Cazz4catsbelinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes apart from plastic. Boo loves people food too! The first time she pinched a hot chip then a whole slice of pizza, Loves ham as do my three other tackers. Boo is almost 4yrs. Socks and Patch turned 2yrs in December just gone and I just adopted the most tiny kitten on the planet! He is 12weeks old but looks more like 7 or 8 weeks. His name is Riley, he loves to eat everything he sees!lol. I love them all so much. It worries me that they're going to eat dangerous things so I watch them pretty closely. Luckily I work from home so I can keep an eye on them. Good luck everyone. Cazz4catsbelinda

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. My baby, Belinda who I call Boo Boo has an obsession with plastic, usually plastic shopping bags, bin liners, especially thin plastic bags. I have to hide everything like that, at first I thought she was just playing/chewing until one day I noticed she had what I thought was something stuck to her tail. It was actually hanging from her bottom so I pulled it out (yes very yucky) she was not happy. It was very long, I know it must have been painful for her but I couldn't just leave it there. I just don't believe it, she can smell the plastic and always finds some everwhere, she is eating them I know recycling is good but preferably not by my baby eating it and pooping it out. Seriously though it is very dangerous, it could get stuck in her tummy or bowel etc. I know what you're talking about. Has anyone else ever heard of cats eating plastic? Cazz4catsbelinda
Yes, Belinda, my cat is also a thin plastic eater. It's called Pica, which means eating items that are not food. You are right--it's very dangerous. We cannot leave any shopping bags or thin plastic sitting around our house because of this. My cat knows the crinkly sound of plastic bags and comes running! Last weekend I bought a cardboard box of tissue and set it out. You would think that was safe, right? But there is a thin clear plastic insert in the opening where the tissue pulls out, and my cat found it! I had to remove that plastic. Sheesh. It's a constant threat.

Cazz4catsbelinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and set it out. You would think that was safe, right? But there is a thin clear plastic insert in the opening where the
Yes, Belinda, my cat is also a thin plastic eater. It's called Pica, which means eating items that are not food. You are right--it's very dangerous. We cannot leave any shopping bags or thin plastic sitting around our house because of this. My cat knows the crinkly sound of plastic bags and comes running! Last weekend I bought a cardboard box of tissue and set it out. You would think that was safe, right? But there is a thin clear plastic insert in the opening where the tissue pulls out, and my cat found it! I had to remove that plastic. Sheesh. It's a constant threat.
pulls out, and my cat found it! I had to remove that plastic. Sheesh. It's a constant

Cazz4catsbelinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Bird. I am sorry your having the same problem I feel better to know that my baby is not the only kitty with this insane obsession. If I

Cazz4catsbelinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I find a way to solve this problem I will let you know. I am half asleep so I will post more tomorrow. Hope you have a great day. Cheers, cazz

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a plastic-eater. Thankfully, only when hungry. That cat always got fed when he wanted. I totally understand the part about it being almost impossible to find all the plastic. It sounds much easy, but is actually far from it.

One of my current cats scarfed up 8 inches of thread in like 10 seconds. I chased it, and pulled on the needle that the thread was attached too, which was barely dangling from its mouth.

My brother's cat died licking the drippings from the side of a closed tub of handyman stuff.