Has Your Cat Ever Eaten Anything Weird?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The weirdest thing our cat Neely ate was when she bit into my croc shoes. But probably even weirder was when our cat Gizmo at the pink wrapper of a pantyliner. :eek: Needless to say we made a late night trip to the ER.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Mayonnaise for foods.

For non foods, she'll chew on paper and cardboard, and occasionally swallow a bit(mostly by accident I think), but she also goes for packing tape like crazy. She also tries to eat Vasoline for some reason.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thankfully my cat doesn't eat non-food items.

Her taste for human food has gotten ridiculous! She tries to steal things off my plate if I'm not looking and always tries to lick empty bowls and plates. She gets most excited when she sees combination pizza (olives are crack apparently), ranch, cheese, ice cream, teriyaki sauce, butter, mayonnaise...basically everything at this point. She'll fight to the death to lick up a tiny bit of ranch.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Lily loves summer because it’s tomato season. She can be in the farthest corner of the house, but she can hear me cutting up tomatoes for our salad. And there she’ll be, sitting at my feet and demanding her portion. Her sister likes cantaloupe, much to The Spouse’s displeasure. He likes to get his cantaloupe out of the refrigerator before breakfast to let it warm to room temperature but now he has to hide it in the cupboard. Iris will probably figure out a way to open the door at some point. I think it’s adorable and don’t understand why The Spouse is so humorless. Clearly something is wrong with him. :)

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom's neighbor's cat also swallowed a needle and had to have it surgically removed.

My first cat, Gwen, scorned most human food, even fancy sushi-grade tuna, but she loved to lick the juice off apples and pears when I ate them. At the ripe old age of 15, she also became obsessed with monkfish and started begging for it on the rare occasions that we were eating it.

I also grew up in SoCal, and my friend had an avocado tree in the backyard. Her cats apparently all ate the avocados that fell off the tree, too. I'm told they had beautiful soft fur as a result.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I was living with my parents and their cats, Kirby and Fiona, are basically my cats because I love them and they love me. Anyway, in January I noticed Kirby was acting strange. He seemed timid and he was acting sickly all of a sudden. I knew something wasn't right when the next day he didn't eat. I made an online appointment to take him to the vet two days later, but I was so worried that I called in the morning to get him in right away. The vet wasn't sure what was going on until the vet tech felt something in his neck. They did an X-Ray and discovered he had accidentally swallowed one of my mom's beading needles. They surgically removed it and he was fine afterwards. He must have come to me just moments after swallowing it and I knew right away something was wrong. I tell my mom I am very in tune with cats. ;) The kicker with Kirby though is despite having a needle in his throat AND being at the vet, he was still purring while being examined. He's the sweetest cat I have ever met and he does purr every time he's at the vet.

Have your cats ever eaten something weird whether by accident or not?
My cat ate a hairband and was super sick gor two days vomiting every 20 minutes and fever. luckily he threw it up. Scared me to bits.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this morning one of my ten month old kittens got into the cabinet (ok i accidentally left it open) and was eating the outside of raw garlic. the real course part.

Skipperoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My late kitty Schrödinger had PICA so ate anything and everything. But the really weird thing was he very into squirrel. He was 9 months old when he passed but he certainly made an impact on the local squirrel population in his short life. And never wasted a morsel. Despite being fed a great diet at home he'd happily tuck into a couple of squirrels a day

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reese loves avocado meat. She would gladly chow down on the skin too but nope, that's toxic.

My last cat, Nix, randomly became very ill...I scheduled a vet appointment for him but before I could get there he barfed up a bell. He LOVED metal. We had to ban thumbtacks and backpack zippers from the house. He would climb the walls to pry thumbtacks out of them...he was a strange cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my girls loved to steal and play with red potatoes. Unfortunately after batting them around she would start to eat them and would then throw up. Raw potatoes apparently are not a great cat food.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weirdest non food item was my contact lens.
Weirdest food item lettuce. And once I dropped a green olive on floor and the kitty acted like it was catnip. She never ate it but rubbed her face all over it in sheer bliss.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge are renowned for preferring human food to cat food! Their favourites are chicken and fish pie, mash potato and roast potatoes, carrots, cake, prawn crackers, etc...

ManekiNekko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Max tears off bits of plastic (but doesn't eat them). He has a weird affinity for lettuce, cotton candy, and palmiers.
Can't have anything out that resembles string (obvious, I know, but only our youngest cat Sam has this problem). The only human food Sam will try to eat is peanut butter. But he does like the taste of neosporin (which I discovered when I let him sniff a neosporin covered q-tip i was about to use on a wound on his forehead).
Ace likes popcorn and bread, but is no longer allowed them because of his IBS. He also likes licking (not chewing) plastic and licking pavement.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On of my cats, Dunlop, loves to eat foam earplugs. My husband and I sleep with them in every night (thanks to his constant night meowing and other activities haha), but rarely they fall out of our ears and he steals them. Since they're soft and easily passable, he's thankfully never had to go to the vet.

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankfully no, as she is very good about not eating anything but cat food. I think her pickiness has something to do with her not wanting to eat anything that smells like "her" food - we never have to shoo her away when we're eating in front of her as she's never interested in what we have. The only weird thing she'll do is sometimes lick something invisible on the floor then sit around with her mouth open, lol. Other than that she has a habit of biting fabric when she's mad at us, but that's really more her clawing the fabric then using her to teeth to unstick herself.

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thread, yarn, string and similar always always need to be totally put away. Even a tiny piece sticking out of a drawer can pose a huge danger to cats. Cats will also eat tinsel and Easter basket grass so these should never be around.
I tend to knot both ends of a bit of floss to a toy mouse since Bosie is obsessed with chasing it. He doesn't like yarn or string, but floss makes him go crazy and he's visibly and loudly put out when I don't play with him enough using the mouse-floss contraption.

I always supervise him and don't leave him alone with it, but now I do worry he could swallow it in some freak accident... What do you guys think? Is that too dangerous? I don't want him to get hurt, I just never thought it could pose that significant of a threat. :confused2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is just a small piece and it is tied to his toy and he doesn’t try to eat the floss, it’s probably okay. There isn’t the potential for him to swallow yards of floss.

Cazz4catsbelinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago I was living with my parents and their cats, Kirby and Fiona, are basically my cats because I love them and they love me. Anyway, in January I noticed Kirby was acting strange. He seemed timid and he was acting sickly all of a sudden. I knew something wasn't right when the next day he didn't eat. I made an online appointment to take him to the vet two days later, but I was so worried that I called in the morning to get him in right away. The vet wasn't sure what was going on until the vet tech felt something in his neck. They did an X-Ray and discovered he had accidentally swallowed one of my mom's beading needles. They surgically removed it and he was fine afterwards. He must have come to me just moments after swallowing it and I knew right away something was wrong. I tell my mom I am very in tune with cats. ;) The kicker with Kirby though is despite having a needle in his throat AND being at the vet, he was still purring while being examined. He's the sweetest cat I have ever met and he does purr every time he's at the vet.

Have your cats ever eaten something weird whether by accident or not?