Has Your Cat Ever Eaten Anything Weird?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I was living with my parents and their cats, Kirby and Fiona, are basically my cats because I love them and they love me. Anyway, in January I noticed Kirby was acting strange. He seemed timid and he was acting sickly all of a sudden. I knew something wasn't right when the next day he didn't eat. I made an online appointment to take him to the vet two days later, but I was so worried that I called in the morning to get him in right away. The vet wasn't sure what was going on until the vet tech felt something in his neck. They did an X-Ray and discovered he had accidentally swallowed one of my mom's beading needles. They surgically removed it and he was fine afterwards. He must have come to me just moments after swallowing it and I knew right away something was wrong. I tell my mom I am very in tune with cats. ;) The kicker with Kirby though is despite having a needle in his throat AND being at the vet, he was still purring while being examined. He's the sweetest cat I have ever met and he does purr every time he's at the vet.

Have your cats ever eaten something weird whether by accident or not?

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing that scary lucky! I think the weirdest for me was a kitten who would steal my honeydew (in chunks) to chew on. The scariest was a 4 year old I had adopted a week ago who “caught” the string I was playing with her with and dragged away her kill, I look back to find her trying to eat it....I think I pulled a good foot of it out of her throat:jawdrop:! That taught me!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that ate broccoli!

That said is your cat constantly chewing things? I ask because some cats get PICA and beading needles are not normal. Regardless your mom needs to keep all beads, needles, ribbon & thread out of his reach. Just like a toddler.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Cotton candy. He swooped in with a claw and stole a chunk! He also loves asparagus go figure.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t eat needles as much as they eat the thread the needle is attached to and because of the barbs in their tongue, they are unable to spit it out and it pulls the needle into their throat or stomach. A threaded needle is one of the most dangerous things to leave out if you have a cat. Over the course of my life I have pulled a couple needles out of the roof of the mouth of family cats and I am sure some have been swallowed.

Thread, yarn, string and similar always always need to be totally put away. Even a tiny piece sticking out of a drawer can pose a huge danger to cats. Cats will also eat tinsel and Easter basket grass so these should never be around.

Cats do purr when they are in pain or frightened which is probably why Kirby was purring at the vet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the weirdest thing Demi ever swallowed was 2 grasshoppers. He swallowed them both whole at the same time, then puked them up whole. He also tried to swallow a screw when he was a baby, but luckily I was there to make him drop it out of his mouth.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stella loves watermelon (go figure) and also potato salad o_O
If she sees me eating potato salad she will run up and beg and beg till I let her lick some off the plate..with the watermelon she just grabs it with two paws and chews and licks it like a little bear, but I don't let her have it very often

2kittiesplusme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Weird cat "food" -- well, my present Blackie doesn't eat weird food. But I had a cat a long time ago that did. I lived in Southern Calif. USA then, and there was a huge avocado tree in the back yard. She used to eat the inside of the avocados. Not the skin. Just the avocado "meat." But you think THAT'S strange: she LOVED cantaloupe. One time I thought I had protected a cantaloupe from her predations by placing it on top of the frig. She climbed up the grill on the back of the frig, glommed her mouth on the WHOLE cantaloupe, got it down on the floor and ate a sizeable amount of it, skin and all. (She was an orange female tabby, very unusual gender for an orange cat, with extra toes on all of her feet, so maybe that was why she liked orange colored fruit.....just kidding.) Well, of course, she threw up all the cantaloupe she had eaten, like she always did whenever she was able to score some cantaloupe to eat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my girls, Murphy, loved coffee. She would quietly sidle up to my cup and if I wasn’t looking do a dip and suck or two. Initially I thought it was the creamer in the coffee that made it appealing to her until I caught her eating coffee grounds off the counter. Surprisingly they didn’t make her sick but of course they were locked away after that. As far as my coffee occasionally she would look at it with such longing, a feeling I understood completely, that I would pour a few drops out for her to lap up.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi did that when he was a baby. He had to find out what we were carrying in our coffee cups. He snuck a taste once and that was enough! He never tried again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not like pica-type stuff, but Hekitty will fight you for raspberry sherbet. No other flavors, not ice cream, JUST raspberry sherbet. I also caught her licking the side of a jar of raspberry preserves the other day, so apparently she likes raspberries. And this is a cat who does NOT do people food. She won't even eat tuna, although she does like "tuna soup" (water drained from the can) ever so often. I don't let her have it on a regular basis.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like others, Gizmo hasn’t ate anything seriously harmful but he sure does try for foods I’m eating. Once, when he was still a kitten, he swallowed a whole lima bean right from the can when I turned to get a pot for them. Not too long afterwards he ended up throwing up and right there in the middle of the mess was a fully formed whole lima bean.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my girls, Murphy, loved coffee
My roommate's cat, Leia, loooved coffee. She would smell my breath after a cup, and when she got sick and started to become suspicious of the pill pockets, the only way she would eat them was if I dipped them in a little coffee. We knit her a bird toy and instead of catnip filled it with coffee beans and she went crazy.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my gizmo wont touch people food, but will eat a ton of plastic if left anywhere in the house. just thin plastic like off the newspaper etc.