Has Anyone Tried Assisi Loop Therapy?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have any experiences to share about the Assisi Loop therapy? I am considering it for stomatitis kitties but before I ask my vet for a prescription, I'd to get some real life opinions. Such a purchase would be a budget challenge but might be an alternative to "terminal treatment", especially as my former ferals enter their senior years.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
There’s no real world research evidence to show that tPEMF does much of anything on a meaningful scale. Studies that found anything were both small scale (under 100 people) and conducted by a company selling the product.
I wouldn’t bother, as this company is just peddling expensive snake oil, sadly.

Wiki also has a decent overview on some published studies Pulsed electromagnetic field therapy - Wikipedia

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Remembering Krista
Stomatitis

At least two members have used it, both qualifying its effectiveness for one reason or another. I don't have any experience with it myself. Maurey Maurey is right that if you google it, almost all information goes back to the company who makes it or to vets who are selling it. In the dog world, with which I am not going to continue here, I have seen claims that it helped conditions which are patently unresponsive to something like a TENS unit, which is what I think it is.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t spend your hard earned money on it. There’s some evidence in lab and in vitro studies that PEMF could create changes in cells, but it hasn’t translated into any good evidence that devices like the loop do anything (positive or negative) for animals.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting.....like magnets and copper? It can cause cellular changes?
There have been in vitro studies that found changes in cells after applying PEMF to them, like this one: Pulsed electromagnetic fields accelerate normal and diabetic wound healing by increasing endogenous FGF-2 release - PubMed where they exposed human endothelial cells grown in culture to pulsed EMF. But looking at the systematic reviews on the topic, the research is far from mature enough to be able to make any solid conclusions about anything. And in vitro changes (or even animal model changes) don’t necessarily translate to the same effect in a person or a dog/cat. The current research definitely does not support the claims Assisi makes about their product accelerating healing and reducing anxiety.

(Also note the loop claims to be a PEMF device but I don’t know how similar or different it is to the protocols used in various studies.)