Has anyone seen this spot on their cat?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, it was the liquid antibiotic. I ended up looking up the actual medicine to see if I could administer it through food and it was safe to do that. I feed Blaze wet food at 6pm every day so I mixed it into that and he ate all of it. I didn't want to administer it through the mouth because it's quite a lot in one dose and I don't want to break his trust or anything so early on.

I haven't given him the ear drops yet, but I have my fingers crossed that we'll get through it with treats and cuddling!

I've been looking through the articles and forums for cat toys, treats, and cat nip so I'll look to see if I can find one about administering the liquid antibiotic. Thank you for responding! I really appreciate all the help that everyone has given me.
I'm so glad Blaze ate the food with the medicine in it! It's so much easier for everyone involved! :)
If by some chance you would have to give him the medicine orally, make sure the syringe doesn't feel "sticky" inside when you move the plunger (the medicine comes out a lot easier and slower this way.) Insert the syringe into the corner of his mouth (NOT in the back of his throat) and very slowly do a drop or two at a time. I'm hoping you won't even need this info, but if Blaze needs you to do this, I want you to have a basic starting point. I've done this many times, and I assure you, cats are MUCH more forgiving than people realize!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickienblaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner It's clavamox and next time I will give it to him in a food he doesn't normally eat. I didn't even think of that, so thank you! The medicine has to be given twice a day until it's gone. Which he hasn't been scratching at that site or his ears since I put the ointment on them and they cleaned his ears.

iPappy iPappy I will keep that in mind if I ever have to give him medicine that can't be mixed with food! I bookmarked both of your suggestions so I can go back to look.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner It's clavamox and next time I will give it to him in a food he doesn't normally eat. I didn't even think of that, so thank you! The medicine has to be given twice a day until it's gone. Which he hasn't been scratching at that site or his ears since I put the ointment on them and they cleaned his ears.

iPappy iPappy I will keep that in mind if I ever have to give him medicine that can't be mixed with food! I bookmarked both of your suggestions so I can go back to look.
With any luck, you won't need it! That's always the best goal anyway! :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I just read your thread and wanted to say you're doing an awesome job as a new cat parent. :thumbsup: You sound very dedicated so I just know you're new kitty will feel better soon. I have needed to use liquid meds for one or more cats because sometimes it's extremely difficult to pill them. I crouch down on the floor and come up from behind to hold them firmly between my knees and act as quickly as possible to put the syringe between their lips. This method is what works best for me and it's usually successful.

I also found a few threads about giving liquid meds that might be helpful for you:
Please help I’m struggling to give my cat medication
Administering Medicine?

Please keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck! :alright:

vickienblaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I still have little bouts of anxiety and wonder if I'm doing it right or giving him the best life. But getting all of the advice that I have so far has been far more helpful than anything else that I could've asked for. I also just love scrolling through the forum and looking at other people's words of encouragement or advice.

I did give Blaze his eardrops and he did pretty well. Definitely better than I was expecting. I basically used that method by getting behind him, wiping his ears, putting the drops in his ear then massaging. I gave him a lickable treat after so I think he felt it was a fair trade!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use plain meat baby food with liquid meds sometimes, or the juice from a can of tuna. I open the tuna, drain the juice into a bowl, then pour it into a freezer zip loc and lay it flat in the freezer. When it's frozen, I break it up and use enough to hide the liquid. Allow it to melt, stir in the liquid and serve.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I still have little bouts of anxiety and wonder if I'm doing it right or giving him the best life. But getting all of the advice that I have so far has been far more helpful than anything else that I could've asked for. I also just love scrolling through the forum and looking at other people's words of encouragement or advice.

I did give Blaze his eardrops and he did pretty well. Definitely better than I was expecting. I basically used that method by getting behind him, wiping his ears, putting the drops in his ear then massaging. I gave him a lickable treat after so I think he felt it was a fair trade!
I think you're doing a fantastic job with him, and are giving him all the love and care you can give. I'm happy to hear he allowed the ear drops! The treat after definitely helps!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I still have little bouts of anxiety and wonder if I'm doing it right or giving him the best life.
Regarding the anxiety, that's perfectly normal. Most of us can relate whenever we have to medicate our cats so you're not alone. One thing I can tell you which is easier said than done is to try and hide anxious feelings as much as possible because they can pick up on your anxiety. I know, I know it's not easy but I tell myself to do this every night when I give Carleton his pill.

Of course you're doing right and giving him the best life because just coming here and asking that question shows you truly care.:heartshape:

vickienblaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Blaze had his two-week checkup today and it wasn't great news. Last night, I found what looked like little grains of rice on my bed where he had been laying which I then figured out was worms. His scratching wasn't getting better and it was getting worse. We went to the vet this morning and he has worms but no fleas. My roommate has a dog, so we're wondering if the dog brought a flea in. Blaze has a few bald spots that have a couple of scabs.
I'm also not getting deep enough into his ear when I give him his ear drops so his ear infection also isn't getting better. I'm planning on having a friend kind of hold Blaze down so I can make sure that his ear drops get in deep enough.
He also took a pill today for the worms and he'll take another one in three weeks. He also got a flea treatment today and his nails were trimmed.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with worms or how long it will take for it to clear up. I also was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for flea treatments because the vet put him on revolution plus but its $25 a month and was going to ask if anyone has any cheaper recommendations.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What kind of worms? Tapeworms can come from fleas, but they can also come from a cat ingesting an infected mosquito. I know because that happened to my cat. Usually, other forms of worms are not from fleas. How long it takes to get rid of them is somewhat dependent on the type of worm too.
Everything You Need to Know About Worms in Cats | Small Door Veterinary

There are two OTC flea treatments that are likely cheaper, but they do not cover all the possible parasites that Revolution Plus does. Advantage II or Frontline Plus.

vickienblaze

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said it was tapeworms, but I'll check out that website! The vet thinks that it may have been a flea because of the scratching/hair loss between his shoulder blades. Okay I might just suck it up and pay for the revolution plus since it covers so many things! Thank you for your response.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possable a mouse got in the house and he ate it too. They can squeeze their skelitons througe a hole as small as a pencil tip gross i know.

Cats usualy eat them whole so you wouldn't even know he ate it nessesarly. Rodents are typicaly where worms come from fleas can also be intermediate hosts