Administering Medicine?

shlurp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my babies got her spay done yesterday. I was given a transdermal to put on her ear and an oral liquid.
Currently she is hiding under my bed. I'm too afraid to grab her and pull her out, risking any injury or causing her pain. Once I could get her out, I'm also concerned on how to hold her so she can't get free but won't risk injury to give her the meds, since she HATES being held in one spot/at all. I've watched videos that instruct to burrito them, but she always managed to get free in other cases. Further, if I do find a way to safely hold her still, I'm worried about the oral medication. (Biomox). I do want to try by putting it in some wet food, but am worried she won't eat it. Is it bitter, or they don't notice the taste?
Any advice on how to deal with fidgety/struggling cats that have just been spayed?
If I decide using the syringe to administer the oral, what helped you with your cats? ( This is something I've watched videos on as well, but couldn't find any that showed a cat that really refuses/struggles against being held still as examples).

In the future, if this is needed, how can I get my cats used to being held?

Note* I have also contacted the vet, and am waiting for a call back

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's understandable that she is hiding under the bed, poor baby. 🤗 Try sitting on the floor in the room with her, stay calm, talk gently in a soft voice, play relaxing music, even try tempting her with treats. Give her time and when she does comes out pet her to give her reassurance. Have her meds in an enclosed room like the bathroom so she can't escape under the bed again.

The transdermal gel in her ear should be the easiest of the two meds to administer but find out if you need to use a rubber glove or fingertip cot to put it on so you can be prepared. I have to use liquid meds for my present cat because it's extremely difficult to pill him. I crouch down on the floor and come up from behind to hold him firmly between my knees and act as quickly as possible to put the syringe between his lips. According to the manufacturer of Biomox it has a cherry flavor.:
BIOMOX® (amoxicillin) Tablets and BIOMOX® (amoxicillin) Oral Suspension

Here's an Article that offers some helpful advice about giving medicine to your cat - scroll down to Restraining the Cat and Nothing Quite Like Personal Experience which includes a video on using a syringe: How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, fingers crossed you are able to give her the meds and she starts to feel better soon. :crossfingers:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some foods can be mixed with food, some can't. It it can be mixed with food I find a stinky broth is best to hide liquid medicine in. Something like Fancy Feast broths or another broth treat or topper.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to my above post, I forgot to mention trying a Feliway product to help calm her. This Article about Stress in Cats has some great tips, scroll down to How to deal with stress in cats, #4. Also read the Article for advice that may help with her getting used to being held: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I try to avoid - at all costs - giving Feeby meds that require holding her or using an oral syringe. So, here are the things that I have had success with both pills (crushable) and liquids -
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give her a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)
Use just enough of any one of them to mix with the meds so you know for sure she eats it all. This, is of course, meds that can or should be taken with food, which thankfully many are.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is not a direct answer to your question, but since you are going to own this little girl for a long time it might help. Fiona took her thyroid pill for years with BFF pouches. It is basically what qualifies as a heavily smelly and she had no idea that a pill was in it. At times I used a pill crusher, but you need to know first if a specific med should be crushed or cut.

I have also had luck with pill poppers as opposed to putting a hard pill into a cat's mouth directly.

Some meds are worse than others, taste wise, and you might have choices of liquids or pills. Oral syringes make it much worse for me, as stated above.

Some pharmacies like Wedgewood compound meds into various textures and flavors....not that you need that now, but for future reference.