Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Something Like This?

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
Minus the meanness, extra tooth and nipples...he looks like a darker version of a stray I have been feeding until I get enough money to get him fixed/vaxed.

He has pretty well the same face, though.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother's cat, Pigwidgeon, is very odd. Behavior-wise, I find him very frustrating-- he claws at closed doors, he meows at the walls, he's weirdly aggressive, etc. I much prefer my cats to anyone else's, but this guy is downright mean. He's cost me about 1k total in vet bills from beating up my dog and my older cat.

Physically, he just looks weird. Has anyone ever seen/heard of a cat who was supposed to be two kittens in the womb, but maybe something happened while in utero and it never developed/split properly?

He's quite large. His face, particularly his nasal bridge, is wide. He has a third canine tooth jutting straight down the middle of his top jaw (where the tiny central incisors should be). His nose pad is broad, and has a strip of fur that extends almost all the way through it. He has what appear to be a few extra nipples.

I don't remember him looking this odd as a kitten, but as an adult, he is quite the sight.

It's always bothered me...just curious if anyone has seen/heard of a similar thing.
I'm so sorry he has the health issue. Personally, I am quite taken with his appearance. He's a big handsome unique tigret. So glad he has a permanent home and is loved and well looked after. Keeping your older cat away from him would be a good idea, if possible, though. All the best to all! and keep us informed, won't you? *SNORGLES* (pets and strokings and affection) to Pigwidgeon and to your older cat!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see something being a little off. My mom is convinced he's totally normal :p[/QUOTE]

Haha she's a typical mum / grandma ! She will say he's normal as she would her human children if they were unusual or odd ! :vibes:

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 16 year old that I am doing palliative care for and for a while, I was giving her hemp for cats. She was much calmer, seemed to have less pain from her arthritis, but slepted more than usual. I also give some to my 6 year old who has allergies and scratches until she bleeds, on her bad days. I get it from here CBD & Hemp for Cats | Canna-Pet®

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my my what a wide nose he has. I think he's an odd but sweet looking fellow, he really doesn't look in bad condition though. I did know a cat once, my ex's cat that was sadly hit by a car at 10 and had ALOT of surgery ( I think it was £2000 after the insurance ran out at £9k) to re-build his face and one side of his body. We nicknamed him the terminator. It was very sad really, but I met him (the cat) after his surgery and at 13 he could still leap 5foot and he had buckets of personality. You could tell by looking at him though, he lived the majority of his life in at least some discomfort. Not having had a pet really aside from fish and a hamster, I thought it was cruel at the time to make him live on through, not that I would ever have vocalised that then. Now (being away from the old BF and the cat) I often wonder if old Barty is still going and how he is doing. Sometimes money can't buy the luck you need for the ones you love. As I've grown older I've realised you can have all the money and all the insurance and sometimes it won't pay to save a life no matter how special.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are a few reasons for "idiopathic" aggression. Pain can be one cause, from mild discomfort to extreme pain, it can cause cats to be irritable and act-up much more often.

Genetic issues can also play a strong roll. A cat with a deformity can be more prone to behavioral problems. The most obvious signs are facial and skull deformities. My cat, Nocturne, had hydrocephelus as a kitten and shows very odd behaviors because of it, including extremely high sound and fear sensitivies. She hurts herself if she gets scared by running into things,

Early separation from their mother can lead to life-long behavior problems, including chronic aggression, in cats. Our orphan cat, Nym, is like that. He cant stand to be touched unless he specifically asks for it, and even then he sometiems attacks for no reason.

Stress such as from declawing, disabilities like a missing limb, or over-crowding can make cats more prone to attacking other animals.

And lastly there is head trauma. Miracle, one of our cats, was almost suffocated in her membrane at birth. She apparently had trouble controlling her third eyelid and retracting her claws.

All cats are somewhat weird, so it can be hard to explain, but I hope this helps.
: )

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen a cat like this! There is a story on Pinterest about a cat that kinda looks like the one in your photo! It's a really nice story! Go to Pinterest and look up on the Search feature! Monty the cat or just search Special Needs Cats and scroll down for Monty's story! You will love it& you might even cry a little!

My brother's cat, Pigwidgeon, is very odd. Behavior-wise, I find him very frustrating-- he claws at closed doors, he meows at the walls, he's weirdly aggressive, etc. I much prefer my cats to anyone else's, but this guy is downright mean. He's cost me about 1k total in vet bills from beating up my dog and my older cat.

Physically, he just looks weird. Has anyone ever seen/heard of a cat who was supposed to be two kittens in the womb, but maybe something happened while in utero and it never developed/split properly?

He's quite large. His face, particularly his nasal bridge, is wide. He has a third canine tooth jutting straight down the middle of his top jaw (where the tiny central incisors should be). His nose pad is broad, and has a strip of fur that extends almost all the way through it. He has what appear to be a few extra nipples.

I don't remember him looking this odd as a kitten, but as an adult, he is quite the sight.

It's always bothered me...just curious if anyone has seen/heard of a similar thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhh my god, Monty is so cute. Omg.

I've always said Pig has some kitty version of Down Syndrome! I appreciate the treatments you guys are recommending...if he were mine, I'd definitely be treating him. Unfortunately, my mom and her boyfriend (my "parents") aren't able to spend much money on him, and the bf in particular is very prone to relying solely on homeopathic methods (they put oregano oil in his nose the other day?? He REALLY didn't like that, and looked quite terrible afterwards). I believe in the product they used to fight the cancer, but they can be very thick-skulled about vet treatments.

Ultimately we'll never know exactly what is wrong with him. He was a barn kitten from a half a mile down the road, and we brought him in at around 5-6 weeks old. He probably would have been eaten, otherwise. We lived in a very rural area at the time and were having to chase coyotes out of yards about every night.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh dear. I don't think oregano nose will have done him much good at all. Did you know vets in the UK are calling for homeopathic treatment of animals to be banned? They think they do a lot more harm than good, particularly if used instead of more conventional medicine.

Homeopathic remedies for cats - should they be banned?

I know he's not your cat and there isn't much you can do here. Could you offer to take him to a vet yourself?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would love to do that, but I also can't afford it. I have to take one of my own cats into the vet on Thursday; my senior dog has been to the vet twice in the last month, and my newest addition also needs to be seen.

In a perfect world, everyone would have all the money needed to take their animals to the vet without batting an eye :(

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That's totally understandable. I'm sure if you did take him, it wouldn't be a quick appointment. They'd probably want to do a lot of test which we all know aren't cheap. Especially when you have more than one animal from different species.

I also have experience using oregano oil and it's not good to use on cats like that. It burns really badly. Especially when it's not diluted. Even diluted, it's still pretty harsh. I can't imagine what that must have felt like being put on his nose. Poor guy.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
In a perfect world, everyone would have all the money needed to take their animals to the vet without batting an eye :(
I find it incredibly heart breaking to read about people wanting to do the right thing only to have money stand in their way. Such as your story about Pigwidgeon. I find him cute regardless of his tooth or nose and I feel bad for him and you. Him possibly enduring pain and you with little you can do about it.

I feel extremely fortunate that I can, and have, gotten pay advances to cover vet bills. I work for a privately owned company and it helps that my boss's wife and in-laws are huge cat lovers. I rent the house I live in from a friend so it also helps that I can delay paying the rent the odd time. I never had a problem with vet bills when I had two cats but now I have two more things are a little bit tighter. Having four cats is not leaving me in the poor house but unexpected vet visits would crush me if I couldn't get pay advances or push my rent payment. If I had to push the vet visit instead of my rent it would break my heart.

Popo is his name

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hahahaha thanks for the pictures, what a wonderful cats they are!
As I saw the pictures, yes he is a perfectly normal cat. I think he's just having a different and variety type of faces, just like us humans. I believe that characteristic are in cats and dogs as well.

Once I saw ginger cat in the article that has a wide nasal and cheeks too, people say he looks like Ron Perlman:
View attachment 188963

Each cats are all unique :) <3

Omg. He does look like Ron

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I find it incredibly heart breaking to read about people wanting to do the right thing only to have money stand in their way. Such as your story about Pigwidgeon. I find him cute regardless of his tooth or nose and I feel bad for him and you. Him possibly enduring pain and you with little you can do about it.

I feel extremely fortunate that I can, and have, gotten pay advances to cover vet bills. I work for a privately owned company and it helps that my boss's wife and in-laws are huge cat lovers. I rent the house I live in from a friend so it also helps that I can delay paying the rent the odd time. I never had a problem with vet bills when I had two cats but now I have two more things are a little bit tighter. Having four cats is not leaving me in the poor house but unexpected vet visits would crush me if I couldn't get pay advances or push my rent payment. If I had to push the vet visit instead of my rent it would break my heart.
It is tough, and it makes me wish that vet offices could be a little more sympathetic, and allow payment plans. I was going through my Mrowmrow's vet history (he goes in to the vet tomorrow; he's not looking right), and back in 2010 he was at the vet literally every month. I was broke that entire year. I vetted more newest cat, Keegan, a couple of months ago- vaccines, dewormer, neuter- but that was at a low cost vet, and he really needs to be seen for a general wellness check (I'm worried he has either a lingering URI, or feline herpes)...but between Mrowmrow not doing well and my dog not doing well, I have to be choosy with who goes, and when :( Nothing makes me feel like a worse pet mom than having to pick and choose who gets care. I've never had this many issues at once, and between a recent move, car accident, and human doctor bills, I'm truly unprepared for an avalanche of vet bills. Ugh.

I asked my mom today how Pig is doing, and she says he seems alright today. My brother won't be home again for a few more weekends, but Pig usually perks up when he comes around.