Harness Training

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The last flea infestation I had was because a foster cat was infested and I didn't realize until after I'd let her out all over the apartment. I didn't really dose either of them this summer since we didn't have fosters, and no infestation yet. But regardless, if I'm taking Mishka out, I think I will dose both of them just to be safe. It was too painful to deal with last time.
Yeah just consider your individual risk factor and go from there. I had just moved into a new apartment and I'd bought the carpet from the previous owners, who had a dog. I think maybe that's where the fleas came from - but I have no idea. Just shows how easily it spreads in the summer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mishka is adapting so quickly! I took her out today for only a short time since it looks like it's going to rain, and she immediately started walking around and sniffing things. I let her sit on top of a post and she perched there just enjoying watching the leaves spin around and the passerby below. She gave a little meow of protest too when I picked her up to go back inside!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mishka is progressing really well! Today, we went out to the courtyard next to the building and then briefly onto the sidewalk. I'm having issues though, where she'll lead me into underbrush and brambles. And then I'll have to either squeeze myself behind the branches (ouch thorns!) or attempt to go around and untangle the leash. I started trying to redirect her today - mostly going "eh eh" and tugging her away from the brambles. Is there a better way of teaching her to leave them alone?

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you are having success.

I rescued a feral 5 week old kitten around 3 ½ weeks ago. I’ve been working with him to make him an Adventure Cat. The website Adventure Cats has lots of good information for training cats.

I bought a harness similar to the Come With Me Kitty harness. He had no issue at all getting use to the harness being on at all.

I attached the leash at home a few times so he could get use to it.

Like others have suggested here, I’m taking small steps in training.

I started out with clicker training him to come when called. Which he does extremely well.

I have a backpack he gets in as soon as I place it on the ground. We started out walking around the house with him in it. Then outside for short walks.

Today was the first day I took him outside and let him out of the backpack on the leash. I placed the backpack on the floor and he hopped in like usual. Zipped it up and off we went. Walked outside across the street to a small playground area, placed the backpack down and opened it up. I let him take his time to decide to come out. He went back to the backpack a few times at first, and then got his confidence and it was out and about exploring.

Never thought about a bungee leash verses a standard one. Not sure it will matter as I coil some of the slack and was controlling letting it unravel when needed. I kept pressure on him when he tried to go into some underbrush that I did not want him in.

Backpack training around the house.
CameraZOOM-20171011195728587_crop_492x619.jpg

Leash training around the house.
CameraZOOM-20171013181654890.jpg
Outdoor adventure today.
I'm safe in here.
Buddy1NotSure.jpg

It does look interesting out here.
BuddyAboutToExit.jpg

Lets take a step.
BuddyFirstSteps.jpg

I like exploring outside.
BuddyOut&About.jpg

I can climb trees.
BuddyTree.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's been a week of not much harness training at all since I was on night shift. But it's a gorgeous day, so I put on the harness and leash and carried Mishka out to a little deck area just outside. And she did great! She mostly sat in one place on a table, and near the end she explored the edges. After 15 minutes, I picked her up and went back inside. She got thoroughly sniffed over and groomed by Saipha and is now napping on the windowsill. A pretty good start, I'd say!
:hithere::clap::hearthrob::redheartpump: :cheerleader: :goldstar::hangin::clap2: :bouquet:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Mishka is progressing really well! Today, we went out to the courtyard next to the building and then briefly onto the sidewalk. I'm having issues though, where she'll lead me into underbrush and brambles. And then I'll have to either squeeze myself behind the branches (ouch thorns!) or attempt to go around and untangle the leash. I started trying to redirect her today - mostly going "eh eh" and tugging her away from the brambles. Is there a better way of teaching her to leave them alone?
Nope, you are doing great! Given the chance Gypsy does the same thing. Scott has a bad habit of letting her go into the shrubs and I am the one who has to go in after her!
sg outside.jpg

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elfie is taking a seasonal break... :lol: She wants to go out maybe once a week, but it keeps getting colder and it's almost always raining here in the Netherlands - so she is choosing to stay in most days. So happy to see you guys' progress! I love it, keep it coming haha!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you are having success.

I rescued a feral 5 week old kitten around 3 ½ weeks ago. I’ve been working with him to make him an Adventure Cat. The website Adventure Cats has lots of good information for training cats.

I bought a harness similar to the Come With Me Kitty harness. He had no issue at all getting use to the harness being on at all.

I attached the leash at home a few times so he could get use to it.

Like others have suggested here, I’m taking small steps in training.

I started out with clicker training him to come when called. Which he does extremely well.

I have a backpack he gets in as soon as I place it on the ground. We started out walking around the house with him in it. Then outside for short walks.

Today was the first day I took him outside and let him out of the backpack on the leash. I placed the backpack on the floor and he hopped in like usual. Zipped it up and off we went. Walked outside across the street to a small playground area, placed the backpack down and opened it up. I let him take his time to decide to come out. He went back to the backpack a few times at first, and then got his confidence and it was out and about exploring.

Never thought about a bungee leash verses a standard one. Not sure it will matter as I coil some of the slack and was controlling letting it unravel when needed. I kept pressure on him when he tried to go into some underbrush that I did not want him in.

Backpack training around the house.
View attachment 201483
Leash training around the house.View attachment 201484 Outdoor adventure today.
I'm safe in here.
View attachment 201485
It does look interesting out here. View attachment 201486
Lets take a step.
View attachment 201487
I like exploring outside.View attachment 201488
I can climb trees.View attachment 201489
:loveeyes: Oh my gosh! you are a fantastic cat daddy and your doll baby is adorable! :hearthrob::redheartpump: Bless you for saving him, what is his name? :touched:Love the backpack too. Welcome to TCS :wave2:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Please post photos, we love photos here at TCS.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Haha, we've been taking a bit of a "seasonal" break too. Mostly because it gets dark so early these days that I don't have a chance to take her out after I get home from work. But it's been gorgeous these last few days, so I'll definitely try to get some pictures when we're out this weekend.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, we've been taking a bit of a "seasonal" break too. Mostly because it gets dark so early these days that I don't have a chance to take her out after I get home from work. But it's been gorgeous these last few days, so I'll definitely try to get some pictures when we're out this weekend.
:clap::clap2::camera: :bliss:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Got some more pictures on our walk:

Mishka's favorite activity: stalking birds
IMG_3270.JPG

Mishka's second favorite activity: Trying to watch other people inside their apartments (awkward for me!)
IMG_3280.JPG

"You can't see me!"
IMG_3276.JPG

I have no idea what she was doing here - anyone have a good caption?
IMG_3263.JPG

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oooh just had a thought - anyone take their cats on car rides in harness and leash? Is there a safe way to do it if you don't have a passenger?

Also, anyone have good strategies for helping Mishka be less afraid of strangers? She really enjoys the walks, but she always dives under a bush whenever someone walks by.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh just had a thought - anyone take their cats on car rides in harness and leash? Is there a safe way to do it if you don't have a passenger?

Also, anyone have good strategies for helping Mishka be less afraid of strangers? She really enjoys the walks, but she always dives under a bush whenever someone walks by.
How does she act around strange people at home? If she is comfortable around anyone, have them appear on her walkies with treats.

Peering in windows is hilarious!

We once saw a cat sprawled in a cars back window. Looked cool but it's very dangerous if there is an accident, absolutely no protection if not in a seat-belted hard case carrier.

Last edited:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How does she act around strange people at home? If she is comfortable around anyone have them appear on walkies.
She's a little skittish at first, but usually warms up to new people within 5-10 minutes. That's a good idea! Maybe I'll start with my roommate, who Mishka is very used to, and go from there. I was also thinking of carrying around some treats on our walks and asking strangers to give some.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't know how I missed this thread. Enjoyed reading through here. I've also been harness training a 3 year old. We were about comfortable in the Come With Me Kitty Harness and have recently switched to the Kitty Holster. Kinda like starting all over again. Ziva and I have a thread going you can look for if curious about our ongoing experience. Good to hear of your progress and success.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just checked out your thread - I love the pictures! I actually got the exact same Kitty Holster harness (the red patches go so well with Ziva's coloring :)). Mishka wasn't a fan though, so I've stuck with the Come With Me Harness for now. I think the neck part might be too wide for her, but maybe she'll grow into it. It'll probably be better as it gets colder too - I noticed Mishka shivering on a particularly cold day.

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Treats are a great thing to carry. I always have them on me when we go out.

I was asked for pictures of our adventures. I will not hijack this thread with those pictures. For those interested I started a thread for Buddy here.