Harness Training

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I've been working on harness training Mishka, my 7 month old kitten. I've tried two types - the Kitty Holster, which freaked her out and she spent all her time walking backwards trying to get out of it, and the Come With Me Kitty harness, which she's adjusted to really well. She now plays, eats, and naps with the harness comfortably. The next step is what I'm struggling with.

How do I train her to walk with a leash attached? I tried attaching the bungee leash that comes with the harness and let it drag behind her, but she panicked and ran frantically, trying to get away from the leash that was "chasing" her. If I walk behind her holding onto the leash, she gets skittish with footsteps and tries to run as well.

At this point, I'd love to get her to where I can just follow her around while holding the leash, but ideally, I'd like to train her to actually follow and not constantly lead me into underbrush.

Anyone have advice on leash training? Also, what kind of leash have you found works best? A bungee leash or a regular one? When I tried training my other cat Saipha, I found that she constantly pulled against the bungee leash and I gave up on training her (for other reasons mostly - she is terrified of strangers and panics when anyone approaches on the sidewalk).

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of the first things I did when I got my kittens (5mo old) was harness and leash train them. One couldn't care less about the harness or leash, the other took some time. And really in a situation like this, time and patience are usually good enough.

When I first got my boys used to the harness, I would pull up gently on the back where the leash would attach (to get them more comfortable with how the harness feels) and give them treats as I did. Then I moved on to feeding them treats right next to the leash. Eventually, I would clip the leash on (normal leash, not bungee, but I might try bungee one day) and give them another treat and praise.

One cat flipped out at the leash 'chasing' him when he ran. But under constant supervision, lots of encouragement, and a few treats, he eventually started ignoring the leash. And the times when the leash was on him at first was very limited. Just a couple minutes maybe. It really does take patience. And now both of my boys (2-3 weeks later) couldn't care less about the harness or leash. Maybe other people have completely different methods or my boys were unusually quick to adjust. I don't really know.

We haven't quite gotten to the point of walking anywhere though, since the main reason I wanted to make them comfortable with the harness/leash was so that when I open the front door of my apartment I have control over them when they try to dash out!

Good luck getting your kitty used to the leash, I'm sure eventually it will work out!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have bungee leashes for both cats and im gkad we have that type.

Both cats have chased something across the yard and come to an abrupt stop when they hit the end of the lead. They could have been hurt of they had a regular lead on.

Our boys very quickly tolerated the leashes, I guess they figured it was a small price to be to be allowed outdoors. They now actually sit quietly while I put on the harness as they know they are about to go outside.

As for walking them on the leads.... we are making slow progress. We use treats, patience and gentle nudging. When all that fails, we pick them up and carry them.

Cats arent like dogs on leads. They stop where they want to and go where they want. Its time consuming, but we cant just let them roam, its much too dangerous.

Sorry.....I dont have any easy answer.
20160809_093117.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I first got my boys used to the harness, I would pull up gently on the back where the leash would attach (to get them more comfortable with how the harness feels) and give them treats as I did. Then I moved on to feeding them treats right next to the leash. Eventually, I would clip the leash on (normal leash, not bungee, but I might try bungee one day) and give them another treat and praise.
I'll try that! Treats have worked wonders for getting her to patiently sit while I attach the harness, so I hope they'll do the same for the leash. I'll just have to go slower and be more patient. I tried draping the leash over her without attaching it and giving her treats, and she seemed to be okay with that. When you first clipped on the leash, did you let it drag behind or hold it up? I have the feeling that once she is less scared of the leash, she's going to see it as a fun toy to wrestle and play with...

We have bungee leashes for both cats and im gkad we have that type.

Both cats have chased something across the yard and come to an abrupt stop when they hit the end of the lead. They could have been hurt of they had a regular lead on.

Our boys very quickly tolerated the leashes, I guess they figured it was a small price to be to be allowed outdoors. They now actually sit quietly while I put on the harness as they know they are about to go outside.

As for walking them on the leads.... we are making slow progress. We use treats, patience and gentle nudging. When all that fails, we pick them up and carry them.

Cats arent like dogs on leads. They stop where they want to and go where they want. Its time consuming, but we cant just let them roam, its much too dangerous.

Sorry.....I dont have any easy answer.View attachment 199033
That's a really good point with the bungee leash that I never thought about. I'll stick to it instead of getting a regular leash - I can definitely picture Mishka going into a full sprint after a bug or a chipmunk.

I just thought of another question - once you've harness trained your cats, do you take them out every day? For how long? Do they insist on going out everyday?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have an easy answer either, other than - babysteps! And practice every day or at least every other day. It took about a week of 5 minutes outside every day before Elf started sniffing things and looking around. About two weeks until she started enjoying herself. And this was with her not caring about the harness and lead at all.

For yours, since she's freaked out by the lead try walking around with her inside the house first, until she no longer seems to mind it. Perhaps let her smell it before you attach it to the harness, and give her a treat before and after you attach it - anddd more treats when she walks around in it inside the home.

My best advice is to pay close attention to your cat and her reactions and respond to that, because every cat is different. With something like this you do have to push boundaries (she will thank you for it later! she will love it once she allow herself to explore!) but don't push too hard. I think if you observe her that you'll instinctually know how to proceed. She will "tell you" when she's ready for the next step :)

Let us know how it goes!

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just thought of another question - once you've harness trained your cats, do you take them out every day? For how long? Do they insist on going out everyday?
Posted before I saw that reply. :paranoid:
Once Elf started enjoying going out, yes, she insisted on every day. At least 30 mins. In order to avoid meowing at the door at all hours of the day I had to stick to doing it at a set time every day. Now that summer is over and the novelty has worn off a bit I notice she doesn't -need- to go out as much. She goes out most days, but some days I'm not home for the evening, other days she goes out and decides to go back in after 15 minutes - other days the ground is so wet that she doesn't even want to be outside for more than 5 minutes. So I just kinda go with the flow now and give her the option, but she doesn't always want to.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take them out every day that I am home. I am away from home for 24 hours at a time due to work. They typically go out about 5 times a week.

I try to get them out for 11/2 to 2 hours a day.

It is very time consuming and difficult to get my other chores done. It is even causing friction with my wife. But I love my boys and I know how much they look forward to going out........ and they are so good and loving to me that I really want to make them happy and feel I have let them down if I miss taking them out. They have become conditioned to going out, especially at 5pm when we normally do so. They are not destructive or mean or extremely demanding to go out.......... which makes me want to take them out even more. Somehow I find time. So be aware.....once they have become used to going out, they will likely want to continue doing so. And you will have to find time or dissapoint them..... sorry that might not be what you want to hear.
20170731_195059.jpg

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really is time consuming, but I think it's worth it as I've seen such a change in behavior (more confident, more energy, more affectionate, more social in the home) since I walk her. You can get the cat on a schedule and it's certainly not more than people with dogs spend out walking their pups.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I've been working on harness training Mishka, my 7 month old kitten. I've tried two types - the Kitty Holster, which freaked her out and she spent all her time walking backwards trying to get out of it, and the Come With Me Kitty harness, which she's adjusted to really well. She now plays, eats, and naps with the harness comfortably. The next step is what I'm struggling with. ...
I, like you, found that my kitty did better with a harness that had less of a body imprint on the kitty (the Come with Me Kitty harness versus a holster or vest type). It does depend on the individual cat.

How do I train her to walk with a leash attached? I tried attaching the bungee leash that comes with the harness and let it drag behind her, but she panicked and ran frantically, trying to get away from the leash that was "chasing" her. If I walk behind her holding onto the leash, she gets skittish with footsteps and tries to run as well.

At this point, I'd love to get her to where I can just follow her around while holding the leash, ...
To train your cat to get used to the leash, I'd recommend letting your kitty first just simply wear the harness at home with no leash attached. Then you just carry the leash with you but let it drag on the floor as the two of you walk around the house together. Follow her slightly, but let her still become aware of a long, snaky leash whether in your hands or with you dragging it on the ground near her. She'll soon get used to its presence, and that it's not something scary. Then you can take the next step of attaching the leash and letting her drag it around the house, feeling the weight of the leash. From there, I think you can begin to pick it up while you are walking alongside her, et cetera, putting gentle pressure at times when you are trying to steer her. Then just transfer all that to the outside experience when the cat gets comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, like you, found that my kitty did better with a harness that had less of a body imprint on the kitty (the Come with Me Kitty harness versus a holster or vest type). It does depend on the individual cat.

To train your cat to get used to the leash, I'd recommend letting your kitty first just simply wear the harness at home with no leash attached. Then you just carry the leash with you but let it drag on the floor as the two of you walk around the house together. Follow her slightly, but let her still become aware of a long, snaky leash wither in your hands or with you dragging it on the ground near her. She'll soon get used to its presence, and that it's not something scary. Then you can take the next step of attaching the leash and letting her drag it around the house, feeling the weight of the leash. From there, I think you can begin to pick it up while you are walking alongside her, et cetera, putting gentle pressure at times when you are trying to steer her. Then just transfer all that to the outside experience when the cat gets comfortable with it.
That's a really good idea! I'll try getting her used to a long dragging thing near her. And if she starts running, it won't "chase" her. Hopefully, once she's used to it, she won't try running away from it, and then I can try attaching it to the harness.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Posted before I saw that reply. :paranoid:
Once Elf started enjoying going out, yes, she insisted on every day. At least 30 mins. In order to avoid meowing at the door at all hours of the day I had to stick to doing it at a set time every day. Now that summer is over and the novelty has worn off a bit I notice she doesn't -need- to go out as much. She goes out most days, but some days I'm not home for the evening, other days she goes out and decides to go back in after 15 minutes - other days the ground is so wet that she doesn't even want to be outside for more than 5 minutes. So I just kinda go with the flow now and give her the option, but she doesn't always want to.
I take them out every day that I am home. I am away from home for 24 hours at a time due to work. They typically go out about 5 times a week.

I try to get them out for 11/2 to 2 hours a day.

It is very time consuming and difficult to get my other chores done. It is even causing friction with my wife. But I love my boys and I know how much they look forward to going out........ and they are so good and loving to me that I really want to make them happy and feel I have let them down if I miss taking them out. They have become conditioned to going out, especially at 5pm when we normally do so. They are not destructive or mean or extremely demanding to go out.......... which makes me want to take them out even more. Somehow I find time. So be aware.....once they have become used to going out, they will likely want to continue doing so. And you will have to find time or dissapoint them..... sorry that might not be what you want to hear.
View attachment 199055
Uh oh, I was thinking of longer walks outside during the weekends and maybe only a few short walks during the week. I work pretty irregular hours, some days I'm back by 6 pm, others I might not be home until 10 pm. Well, I'll see how Mishka does with the training and how much she enjoys being outside.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since my cats are indoor only, I usually don't give them flea meds unless it's summer and I know that the fleas have been really bad. Do you all give flea meds every month since they're going out on harness? Do you stop in the wintertime? It snows where I live, so I assume the risk of fleas is pretty low once it gets below freezing.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you all give flea meds every month since they're going out on harness?
Yes! Spring and summer every month, and in the winter I skip. I also worm her 3 times a year, since she does walk in mud and cleans her paws afterwards.

Uh oh, I was thinking of longer walks outside during the weekends and maybe only a few short walks during the week. I work pretty irregular hours, some days I'm back by 6 pm, others I might not be home until 10 pm. Well, I'll see how Mishka does with the training and how much she enjoys being outside.
I think it'll be fine! It really depends on what they're accustomed to IMO

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I decided to go slow and just leave the leash out with treats scattered on/around it. Mishka was definitely hesitant about approaching it today, so I need to associate it with good things before moving to the next step. Fingers crossed that I'll have a good update in a few days!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So it's been a week of not much harness training at all since I was on night shift. But it's a gorgeous day, so I put on the harness and leash and carried Mishka out to a little deck area just outside. And she did great! She mostly sat in one place on a table, and near the end she explored the edges. After 15 minutes, I picked her up and went back inside. She got thoroughly sniffed over and groomed by Saipha and is now napping on the windowsill. A pretty good start, I'd say!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's been a week of not much harness training at all since I was on night shift. But it's a gorgeous day, so I put on the harness and leash and carried Mishka out to a little deck area just outside. And she did great! She mostly sat in one place on a table, and near the end she explored the edges. After 15 minutes, I picked her up and went back inside. She got thoroughly sniffed over and groomed by Saipha and is now napping on the windowsill. A pretty good start, I'd say!
Thats good news. Keep at it slowly. I think soon it will be a routine and she will be demanding to go out.

When I say "outside time" my boys run to the back door and practically line up waiting for their leashes to be put on. Most cats are smart and can learn quickly.

As for flea protection, the boys do have the 3 month flea collars, that are are a year old now. The collars are mainly used to hang their id tags on. I have read many negative comments about flea collars and drops, so im very reluctant to use them. Fortunately over the many yeras we have outside cats we have never had any significant (or even minor), flea problems. ..but our winters are very cold.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats good news. Keep at it slowly. I think soon it will be a routine and she will be demanding to go out.

When I say "outside time" my boys run to the back door and practically line up waiting for their leashes to be put on. Most cats are smart and can learn quickly.

As for flea protection, the boys do have the 3 month flea collars, that are are a year old now. The collars are mainly used to hang their id tags on. I have read many negative comments about flea collars and drops, so im very reluctant to use them. Fortunately over the many yeras we have outside cats we have never had any significant (or even minor), flea problems. ..but our winters are very cold.
Having had a bad flea infestation last summer, I'm a little paranoid now. I haven't put on the flea meds yet, but I figured that the deck was comparatively low risk, since there isn't any grass/greenery on it and it's on the third floor. If she continues doing well outside, I'll definitely treat her. I'm wondering though - should I also flea treat Saipha? I'm not going to be taking her out, but is there any chance Mishka would bring in fleas even though she'll be treated?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elfie got fleas the first summer I had her even though she was a strictly indoor cat back then. So yeah, I'd advise to -at least in the summer and spring months- protect all the cats in the home against fleas. Better safe than sorry for me. I hated dealing with fleas that one time; determined to not ever deal with it again!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Elfie got fleas the first summer I had her even though she was a strictly indoor cat back then. So yeah, I'd advise to -at least in the summer and spring months- protect all the cats in the home against fleas. Better safe than sorry for me. I hated dealing with fleas that one time; determined to not ever deal with it again!
The last flea infestation I had was because a foster cat was infested and I didn't realize until after I'd let her out all over the apartment. I didn't really dose either of them this summer since we didn't have fosters, and no infestation yet. But regardless, if I'm taking Mishka out, I think I will dose both of them just to be safe. It was too painful to deal with last time.