Buddy - The Making Of An Adventure Cat?

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted some pictures in a thread, and was asked for more pictures of our adventures. I did not want to hijack the thread so I created this one.

How the story began and continues to grow......

I'm an Electrical Panel Shop Supervisor where I work.

We have a warehouse across the street from the main building I work in.

There are a few feral cats that wonder around the lot of the warehouse.

On Sept 18, 2017 one of the warehouse workers caught and took home 3 baby kittens that were found around the warehouse. On Sept 19, 2017 he caught another one and didn't want to take another kitten home. He has a few cats and dogs besides the 3 kittens he took home the day before.

Someone knows I like cats and brought a box over containing the little kitten.

(My wife and I had 4 cats. Over the years we are now down to 1 – 20 year old cat. My wife and I both said we will not get anymore cats till we move into a new house. I’m working on the current house and will hopefully put it up for sale this coming spring 2018.)

So now there is a kitten in a box, in the electrical department. No one in the department wants the kitten. I snap a picture of the kitten and send to the wife.

First Picture:
Buddy box 9-18-17.jpg

I tell her he needs a home. She says he’s cute but we really shouldn’t get a cat right now. I agree, but…..

So now the dilemma begins…

I end up taking him home. Wife is surprised when I walk into the house with a kitten in a box.

I set up an area in the second bedroom to keep him in till we decide for sure if we are going to keep him.

Get an appointment 2 days later to take him to the vets and get an estimate that he is 5 weeks old He gets a clean bill of health other than fleas which I figured he would have.

We decide that we will keep him, but having trouble with a name.

Whenever we enter the second bedroom we would say Hi Buddy. So his name has become Buddy.

Since Buddy has no one other kitten to play with and I’d be at work most the day, when I came home I would spend the free time I could with him. We could not allow him out of the second bedroom since we were not able to test him for FIV (Feline Aids) & FeLV (Feline Leukemia).

Here a few pics of us hanging out:
BuddySleep.jpg

Buddyhanging out.jpg

After getting him tested for FIV (Feline Aids) & FeLV (Feline Leukemia), we were able to introduce him to Tigger, our 20 year old cat.
Poor Buddy, he just can not understand why a 20yr old cat, doesn't want to play with him.
As long as he doesn't try to chew her tail or bat at her ears, she will tolerate him.
Buddy & Tigger.jpg

CameraZOOM-20171111232437114.jpg

The start of training to be an Adventure Cat.
-Getting use to the harness and leash:
CameraZOOM-20171013181654890.jpg

-Backpack
CameraZOOM-20171011195728587_crop_492x619.jpg

Since he does well with coming when called and has no issues wearing the harness and leash it’s time to head outdoors.

Buddy’s first outdoor adventure 10/22/17:
Buddy1NotSure.jpg

BuddyAboutToExit.jpg

BuddyFirstSteps.jpg

BuddyOut&About.jpg

BuddyOut&Abou2t.jpg

BuddyTree.jpg

Since the temperature is starting to drop, I decided to make some no sew fleece coats for him.
Buddy Fleece.jpg

Buddy Fleece Steelers.jpg
He picked this one out himself. Honest. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.

I can keep updating this thread if people want to see his progress and adventures. I'm hoping to get him out on the kayak and SUP next year when it warms up. Of coarse backpacking trips are a must.

His tent is on it's way. LOL I sleep in a hammock and the amount of $$$ I pay for top quilts and under quilts his claws are not getting near my gear.

Very cool. Glad to have you here on TCS even if you're Steeler fans lol.
You know Buddy picked that fleece, not me. :redtongue:.....LOL

Here is some video of the other training I've been doing with Buddy.

The first thing I taught him was to come when called. That way if he go off the leash, I could hopefully call him back.

The second thing I taught him was to sit. He's doing very well at this. I can walk away from him and give him the command to sit, and he usually does.

The next thing I started yesterday on was I'm going to try to train him to jump into my arms. That way if I see a dog down the trail or other possible threat, I can get him out of harms way.

I'll go snap a shot of the template I made for the fleece. You may ave to adjust to fit your cat.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.

I can keep updating this thread if people want to see his progress and adventures. I'm hoping to get him out on the kayak and SUP next year when it warms up. Of coarse backpacking trips are a must.

His tent is on it's way. LOL I sleep in a hammock and the amount of $$$ I pay for top quilts and under quilts his claws are not getting near my gear.

The first thing I taught him was to come when called. That way if he go off the leash, I could hopefully call him back.

The second thing I taught him was to sit. He's doing very well at this. I can walk away from him and give him the command to sit, and he usually does.

The next thing I started yesterday on was I'm going to try to train him to jump into my arms. That way if I see a dog down the trail or other possible threat, I can get him out of harms way.

I'll go snap a shot of the template I made for the fleece. You may ave to adjust to fit your cat.
Keep taming, life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a picture of the template I used for the fleece coat on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. As you can see it's longer then the piece of paper. I think you could scale the picture and print it out on 2 pieces of paper to make a template.

Fleece.jpg

Velcro.jpg
Iron on velcro.... I can't sew. Someone was trying to help.....

template.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.

:wave3:'I can keep updating this thread if people want to see his progress and adventures.'-YES! Please
:hearthrob::redheartpump: What a clever, loving, trusting, bright, sweet, beautiful cutie pie....and the cat is not bad either.:crackup::lol: :lol2: :flail:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a cool back pack. I want one. What is it called and where did you get it? And the cat harness too. I'm glad you decided to bring Buddy home and have adventures with him.