Hare Today Rabbit Products

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, y'all. The more I look at the rabbit options at Hare Today and try to fit them to either Dr. P's or Feline Nutrition's templates, the more confused I get. Will anyone share their rabbit cat food recipe using Hare Today rabbit?

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi T Totsy

I am following Dr.Pierson's recipe. Here is how I do - DISCLAIMER: I am not very precise person, math was always my least favorite subject. I also make Chicken, Turkey, Pork and each come out slightly different bone/organ%, with varieties, I am comfortable being not-so-precise in terms of meat/bone/organ ratio.

MEAT
  • 2lb bone in grind. Either Fur-in or Fur-less
  • 1lb boneless meat. Rabbit boneless grind, or Chicken/Turkey chunk.
    • Lately I am using 2lb fur-less rabbit and Chicken/Turkey chunk
    • I started with Fur-in and initially it was working fine, but kitties started to vomit. Mine cannot handle fur-in grind, seems like (same happened with other fur-in grind)
    • Above will bring bone % down to 6.7 (fur-in)/10 (fur-less).
  • 1-2 oz liver

SUPPLEMENT
  • Nature Made, Fish Oil, 1200 mg, 5-10 capsules
  • Now Foods, Dry E-400, Vegetarian, 100 Veggie Caps, 1 capsule
  • Nature's Way, B-50 Complex, 1 capsule
  • Source Naturals, Taurine Powder, 3.53 oz (100 g), Serving Size: 1/4 Teaspoon Taurine Powder 675 mg, 1 teaspoon
  • 1/2 tsp Morton Lite salt with iodine
Hope this will give you some idea! Good luck!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not add the liver because her recipe said that with the rabbit grind it is sufficient. The salt is correct for using whole rabbit grind in addition to boneless poultry. If you want to play it safe and use additional liver, that should be okay.
You can also request a Skype with her if you have additional needs. After Tommy's bladder problems and surgery she told us to use 1:1 ratio instead of 2:1 to lower the bone content, and max the fish oil for anti-inflammatory properties.

I end up using 9 lbs rabbit grind 9 lbs turkey thighs
40-50 capsules, pumps, or teaspoons of fish oil
4 1/2 teaspoons taurine
6 vitamin E capsules
3 vitamin B-100 capsules
3 teaspoons lite salt
6 cups water

that's been the batch since late 2017. Stewart had blood work done February 2018 and they said he was great.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get 5lbs HT whole carcass ground rabbit, add Alnutrin for meat with bone, some unscented fish oil (sardine&anchovy), 3000mg taurine powder, and water.

He also gets the HT small rabbit chunks (with bone) which is great for keeping his teeth and gums healthy and clean.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not add the liver because her recipe said that with the rabbit grind it is sufficient. The salt is correct for using whole rabbit grind in addition to boneless poultry. If you want to play it safe and use additional liver, that should be okay.
You can also request a Skype with her if you have additional needs. After Tommy's bladder problems and surgery she told us to use 1:1 ratio instead of 2:1 to lower the bone content, and max the fish oil for anti-inflammatory properties.

4 1/2 teaspoons taurine
6 vitamin E capsules
3 vitamin B-100 capsules
3 teaspoons lite salt
6 cups water

that's been the batch since late 2017. Stewart had blood work done February 2018 and they said he was great.
She said I was her last client last year. Said she was old and needs to retire. I checked her link and she did remove her email.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ah crud

Yeah the link is gone "Attention: Dr. Pierson is taking a break from her consulting service for an undetermined period of time."

I hope these guys don't need anything special in the future.
The girls I can handle. They don't like raw food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, CHIKITTIES, for your HT recipe. I'm confused about the taurine amount though. Yes, the fur makes me uneasy on a couple of levels. I'm sure my littler guy would eat it, but I'm worried he'd barf it.

Thank you, lagimp, for your recipe. I could easily halve it, too. (That's a lot of cat food!) Are you using the fur-and-all grind? If so, how would you adjust it if you had to use fur-free rabbit?

dhammagirl, thanks for your recipe. It would be easiest to use Alnutrin to see what they think of the HT rabbit. You had no trouble with the fur?

kittyluv387, wow, I'm glad you were able to use Dr. P before she retired. I'm more grateful than ever for having found this site. I'm not sure I'd have been brave enough to make raw food myself without this community.

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ah crud

Yeah the link is gone "Attention: Dr. Pierson is taking a break from her consulting service for an undetermined period of time."

I hope these guys don't need anything special in the future.
The girls I can handle. They don't like raw food.
Well we’re lucky because she said she will still consult with previous clients. Just not take on any new ones. For now anyways. She definitely deserves retirement but she said she also feels bad because there isn’t an alternative vet she could recommend us to.

T Totsy Dr. Pierson’s recipe isn’t based off any fur so fur less with her recipe is fine. I don’t use fur either.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"Dr. Pierson’s recipe isn’t based off any fur so fur less with her recipe is fine. I don’t use fur either." (I can't figure out how to quote.)

Whew, I'm glad to know I don't have to use fur and the kitkats will be fine.

I really REALLY wish Dr. Pierson could find a vet to trust with her legacy. Surely someone would want to continue her work? It's a tall order. I can't find any vet who supports raw feeding where I live.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we’re lucky because she said she will still consult with previous clients.
OH YAY! My Skype was over $300 in 2017. We're established.

Thank you, lagimp, for your recipe. I could easily halve it, too. (That's a lot of cat food!) Are you using the fur-and-all grind? If so, how would you adjust it if you had to use fur-free rabbit?
I have never used the fur grind. He gets constipation and I'm not sure if it would hurt or help.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, the joke's on me. Hare Today is out of Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs. :blush:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the joke's on me. Hare Today is out of Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs. :blush:
This time of year, that is a thing. I forgot. But sign up for the restock notification, and this is on their front page
"Stock Notification:
Local rabbit supply for our Ground Rabbit/Bones/Organs is limited. As always, we will do our due diligence to keep up with demand as much as possible. Remember, Rabbit is processed on Thursdays each week and inventory is added to the website around 4:30 EST. Please do not email about supply, rather sign up for stock notifications and you will receive an email notification once stock is added.

*Update*: Additonal Rabbit has been secured for February 20th, weather permitting, with our anticipated processing date on Thursday, February 21th."

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

4 1/2 teaspoons taurine
6 vitamin E capsules
3 vitamin B-100 capsules
3 teaspoons lite salt
6 cups water

I kind of wonder if it’s better to add some additional liver/organ to this. At 2 to 1 it may not have been a big deal but at 1 to 1 I’d think the difference might be bigger. She didn’t mention anything about additional liver needing to be added?

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, all the recipes nag at me in some way. There are such differences in the B vitamin amounts, the salt content, not to mention the organ & fish oil amounts. I am constantly worried I'm doing something horrible to my cats.

Does anyone know, for instance, why the raw rabbit recipes in the "Raw Recipe Thread" in this forum have no water?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, all the recipes nag at me in some way. There are such differences in the B vitamin amounts, the salt content, not to mention the organ & fish oil amounts. I am constantly worried I'm doing something horrible to my cats.

Does anyone know, for instance, why the raw rabbit recipes in the "Raw Recipe Thread" in this forum have no water?
For fish oil up to 600 mg of epa and dha is safe. So of course you'll see a lot of variations on that. I think the minimum required is way less than that since canned foods don't put that much in there. As for water that's really a personal cat preference. Some cats like it more soupy or chunky. But I worry too. So I do 3 different recipes in hopes that everything normalizes in the end. One of them is an alnutrin recipe which is a little more standard and commercial which alleviates some worry. There's no definite guide to raw so all we can do is research like crazy and try to make the best decisions we can. And of course we have places like this to discuss our methods and get feedback. :)

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For fish oil up to 600 mg of epa and dha is safe. So of course you'll see a lot of variations on that. I think the minimum required is way less than that since canned foods don't put that much in there. As for water that's really a personal cat preference. Some cats like it more soupy or chunky. But I worry too. So I do 3 different recipes in hopes that everything normalizes in the end. One of them is an alnutrin recipe which is a little more standard and commercial which alleviates some worry. There's no definite guide to raw so all we can do is research like crazy and try to make the best decisions we can. And of course we have places like this to discuss our methods and get feedback. :)
I am a bad recipe writer :doh: sorry, yes I do add water. But I don't even measure! Maybe 1/4 cup when making (to dissolve supplements) then add more when serving.

Making several recipe like kittyluv387 kittyluv387 sounds like a good idea :agree:! Personally I think there is no "one-recipe-fit-all-kitty", same as human eating variety is important. I got impression from Dr.P's website (could be wrong) that she almost exclusively feed her Chicken and Rabbit recipe. But I also saw on this site that some kitties cannot eat same food over and over again, need variety.

Totally understand your concern and you want to make best possible food for your kitties :hugs: If you are more scientific mind than me (a.k.a lazy), mschauer's wonderful recipes has all nutritional information and give you a peace of mind?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a bad recipe writer :doh: sorry, yes I do add water. But I don't even measure! Maybe 1/4 cup when making (to dissolve supplements) then add more when serving.

Making several recipe like kittyluv387 kittyluv387 sounds like a good idea :agree:! Personally I think there is no "one-recipe-fit-all-kitty", same as human eating variety is important. I got impression from Dr.P's website (could be wrong) that she almost exclusively feed her Chicken and Rabbit recipe. But I also saw on this site that some kitties cannot eat same food over and over again, need variety.

Totally understand your concern and you want to make best possible food for your kitties :hugs: If you are more scientific mind than me (a.k.a lazy), mschauer's wonderful recipes has all nutritional information and give you a peace of mind?
Oh thanks for that thread! I gotta read through it. Mschauer is one of the most knowledgeable people I know about cat nutrition. She’s very analytical and actually compares her recipe to AAFCO standards. She helped me develop my raw chicken recipe!

Dr. Pierson does mention turkey here and there on her making cat food page so I think she used turkey at times. I also only use turkey, chicken and rabbit because I don’t think cats are really meant to eat a lot of red meat. Their prey is all white meat like rodents, rabbits and birds.