• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
"For fish oil up to 600 mg of epa and dha is safe."

Per what? Pound of meat?

See? I'm easily confused.

But yes, I'm so glad y'all are here for me ask my stupid questions and work through my fears. I keep hoping that by feeding a variety of recipes they won't get too much or too little of anything.

CHIKITTIES, I think the recipe without water I'm referencing IS one of mschauer's recipes, lol! It's just that every other recipe on there has water, sometimes a boatload of it, but the rabbit recipe has none.

My cats seem pretty happy and healthy, so I'm just going to keep making their food (but never quite sure I'm getting it right).

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Per what? Pound of meat?

But yes, I'm so glad y'all are here for me ask my stupid questions and work through my fears. I keep hoping that by feeding a variety of recipes they won't get too much or too little of anything.

CHIKITTIES, I think the recipe without water I'm referencing IS one of mschauer's recipes, lol! It's just that every other recipe on there has water, sometimes a boatload of it, but the rabbit recipe has none.

My cats seem pretty happy and healthy, so I'm just going to keep making their food (but never quite sure I'm getting it right).
600 per day is the safe limit per dr. Pierson. But she generally recommends 300mg of combined epa and dha for optimum maintenance. You can go higher if you have a kidney cat.

bhcmdvl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 kitties love the Hare Today whole carcass rabbit grind. I was afraid to try it, but after reading all the rave reviews on their website I did. The thing I like about it is it's a perfect 80-10-10. I buy both the Alnutrin for boneless and bone-in grinds because I usually mix the rabbit with boneless meat because it is so rich and it goes further. I mix it like 3 or 4 to one. I just use the recipe on the Alnutrin package and have started adding taurine although the Alnutrin does include it. I also add fish oil when I feed them.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The recipe is 3 lb batches with 1 cup of water per each one.
I use 18 lbs of meat I add 6 cups of water.
The limit on the fish oil should be per 3 lb batch of meat.

I re-read the recipe at least six times up and down before I attempted it so that I understood it. Dr Pierson also stated that some cats don't want as much water in their food, or more than less. Same on the fish oil. Same on the vitamin B.
You can also add those egg yolks per 3 lb batch as well. I don't anymore.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Per what? Pound of meat?

T Totsy aha, I see. That means I am not the only one who write incomplete recipe :p

I find it very helpful to talk to real cat people on this site for my nerve! Everybody is so supportive :hugs:

I don't want to say anything irresponsible but ... think about what I ate all day today. I'm definitely overloaded with caffeine and sugar, but still doing OK! Kitties are eating much better than me :redtongue:

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 In case you didn't came across these these yet. These threads are so informative and fascinating! then ... after reading with my un-scientific mind, I :headscratch: my head and repeat above statement :flail:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T Totsy aha, I see. That means I am not the only one who write incomplete recipe :p

I find it very helpful to talk to real cat people on this site for my nerve! Everybody is so supportive :hugs:

I don't want to say anything irresponsible but ... think about what I ate all day today. I'm definitely overloaded with caffeine and sugar, but still doing OK! Kitties are eating much better than me :redtongue:

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 In case you didn't came across these these yet. These threads are so informative and fascinating! then ... after reading with my un-scientific mind, I :headscratch: my head and repeat above statement :flail:
Interesting! I'll read through those when I get a chance. I love reading about anything and everything related to cats. Especially nutrition!