Gum Inflammation And Its Medication

Nakuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new here and I am new pet owner as well..

In our country (Georgia, the country) a lot of pets are living at streets (unfortunately) and I have adopted one of them (who was living on my street). She is very beautiful, clever, very calm and sweet girl. her name is Fiso (the cat).

Yesterday the vet found out that she has a gum problems (red gums and inflammation) she prescribed Stomorgyl 5. Stomorgyl 5 does not exist, so I bought Stomorgyl 10. On the box is written that you should give 1 tablet per 10 kilogram. My cat is about 4 kilograms. So I cut the tablet in the middle and gave it to her this way.

Today I brought her with another vet for blood test and asked him about this pill as well. He told me that I should crush the tablet and give it to her such way, because it is important that the pill ingredients touches the gums.. two other cat owners (my friends) told me the same...

I searched on Internet information about this medicine and there is a warning everywhere: Do not break or crush the tablets. I want to know why? please help me with this issue if you have any experience.

Thank you in advance

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS.

I searched the web in my country (Italy) and nowhere have I read that the pill can't be crushed.
Anyway, it is possible that the pill has to be administered whole because the protective coating around it protects it from the stomach acids.

I have found that there's a Stomorgyl 2, so if your cat is 4 kg, you can give her 2 uncrushed pills.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Nakuna and welcome to the forum !

Today I brought her with another vet...He told me that I should crush the tablet..., because it is important that the pill ingredients touches the gums
The ingredients do not need to "touch the gums". The drug 'works' systemically - within the system.

The pill is coated because the ingredients are very bitter and are likely to cause extreme drooling, like this: drooling cat

Here is one person's experience: Bad Vet, good Vet...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I can find, the pill can cause irritation to the throat if it's crushed or broken. The whole pill is coated to prevent that. But in the Q&A here, it says that you can crush it if necessary, but give the cat some food or drink afterward to wash it down.
Stomorgyl Tablets for Dogs & Cats

And, no, there are no ingredients in this medication that need to touch the gums. They are systemic antibiotics.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have given Stomorgyl to one of my cats. It is very bitter and because of this can cause 'frothing'. Dont break or crush the pill and if possible syringe water into your cats mouth after giving the pill. This will make it less unpleasant to take. As Antonio65 Antonio65 said, you can get Stomorgyl 2mg