Graphic Help & Resources

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to cut the eye out and make a new layer (leaving the original layer in the original pic as well), change the layer type to hue and then adjust the colour but you have to be fairly neat about the edges on the cut out

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have another way that I change the cats eye colour. It's probably not the proper way to do it, but it's easier for me. I take my lasso, and outline the eye, then I adjust colour balance or Hue and saturation or both. It seems easier than making a new layer. I try to make sure that the black pupil of the eye is not outlined, so that the colour change only occurs on what is outlined. However, if I'm working with more than the eye, like when I add Kiss Make up to people I make a new layer and make one layer black and white, then I put the new layer on top of the coloured layer and cut out the eyes and lips on the black and white layer, so that the coloured layer shows through, then I usually enhance the lips on the coloured layer, so that they're redder. That's also the way I make a black and white picture of a cat, with coloured eyes. I just cut out the black and white eyes, so the coloured eyes show through. Then I flatten it.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just paste to a new layer in case I change my mind after - its easier to delete a new layer than change the eyes back if I decide they aren't what I like

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's an example of my putting Kiss make up on people.

1st Johnny Depp in Paul Stanley's Starchild Make up

Next Johnny Depp in Gene Simmons Demon Make Up

I probably do these more like Icklemiss does it. Most things I just do the way it's easier for me to do them, and not the way that is the proper way, if you know what I mean.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is a 'proper' way in photoshop - its art, its all about preferences, me... I will change my mind 10 times before finishing a sig so I like to make them undo-able

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I see what I was doing - I didn't make a new layer, which I probably should have done. Also using the hue is a good idea. I was trying to make my daughter's eyes blue in a photo, and she ended up looking like a demon!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I expect most of you know this but I have just found it and thought I'd share.
When it is hard to see the cat from the background if you invert it, it shows up clearer.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I expect most of you know this but I have just found it and thought I'd share.
When it is hard to see the cat from the background if you invert it, it shows up clearer.
i did not know that. thanks!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yarra

i did not know that. thanks!
Oh. I get it. Then AFTER you are done cutting out the cat you can invert it AGAIN!! (Sorry, blonde moment, or...um, life, LOL!)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

I'm glad Ms Dutchy likes it. That siggy took more time to do that just about any I've done. It was worth it though. Did yo notice how I corrected her eye on the right on that close up picture? I noticed in the original photo that the flash seemed to make her entire pupil disappear. So I cut out the pupil from the eye on the left, and pasted a copy of it on the right. I wasn't sure if it would work, but I think it did.
Very nice - it looks very realisic! Hope, does PhotoShop have red-eye correction? What settings do you use? I like the darkness of the pupil - I have trouble getting mine to look as 3-D as you do.

I'm trying to move over from Paint Shop Pro, but I just know the menus so much better in PSP...

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Very nice - it looks very realisic! Hope, does PhotoShop have red-eye correction? What settings do you use? I like the darkness of the pupil - I have trouble getting mine to look as 3-D as you do.

I'm trying to move over from Paint Shop Pro, but I just know the menus so much better in PSP...
I'm sure it does. I am just used to using the "burn" tool to burn in a whited out red pupil, and that's how I do it. I just burn the pupil until it's black.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm glad Ms Dutchy likes it. That siggy took more time to do that just about any I've done. It was worth it though. Did yo notice how I corrected her eye on the right on that close up picture? I noticed in the original photo that the flash seemed to make her entire pupil disappear. So I cut out the pupil from the eye on the left, and pasted a copy of it on the right. I wasn't sure if it would work, but I think it did.
It worked really well, Hope! I remember that picture, and that pupil was not only whited out, but almost looked like her eye was torn. You did a fantastic job on that sig!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Kelly, did you burn the eyes like Hope does? I really like that look!
No, I don't know how to do that.
I just use a brush tool to pain them in. What really helps when you do this is to put the white dot on there where the "light" would be "reflected". It makes a huge difference when you're painting over "flash-eye". On the alliread sig, I painted all of their eyes.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

It's ok, I thought Peanut was a he too until I was told otherwise
That sig is a rip off of a graphic I did of Maxie a while back, unfortunately, she turned out looking like a devil with a long chin and spiky ears
the signature hides all that, I was practising playing with fur

I definitely prefer working with 1-2 cats, it just allows so much more creativity and you are notforced to use a certain order because of orientation of photos etc.

Hope, you did an amazing job of the last two siggies!

As for the eyes, it depends what is wrong with them, sometimes I will cut the eye out and make a copy of the other eye and flip it over to fit if its completely washed out. Depending on the colour, burning can sometimes turn it devil red and sometimes I will paint it on with a feathered brush so the edges don't look 'wonky'
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

I've been known to do the same thing with the eyes. I did it for Scamperfarms Dutchy. Cut out one pupil rotated it and put it on the burned out eye. I've been known to add a little black here and there when the burning turns the pupil a wonky colour, as well.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Does anyone know if Photoshop has a snap to grid thing like publisher? I sometimes have troube getting the text to go exactly where I want it, it seems to jump a little bit. If it has does anyone know how to turn it off?
Thanks Anne

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PSP does, it is under the "View" menu. To turn it off, all you do is select it. It's a toggle. Selecting it will turn it the opposite of what it currently is set to.

I hope PShop is the same!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

PSP does, it is under the "View" menu. To turn it off, all you do is select it. It's a toggle. Selecting it will turn it the opposite of what it currently is set to.

I hope PShop is the same!
Thanks, why is is always so obvious when some-one tells you and all the times I have zoomed in and out I hadn't seen it. I get the same thing in supermarkets I'll look for something for ages and when I give in and ask a staff member they there Madam and point behind me

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'm sure it does. I am just used to using the "burn" tool to burn in a whited out red pupil, and that's how I do it. I just burn the pupil until it's black.
I am going to have to try that. I use the gama corection tool, over and over, until the pupil turns black. It works somewhat, but it does leave a tinge of the underlying color, IE: if the pupil was a washed out blue, the gama corected eye tends to be A REALLLLLY DARK blue.

I will have to try it your way Hope! I think it will work better!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going to have to try that. I use the gama corection tool, over and over, until the pupil turns black. It works somewhat, but it does leave a tinge of the underlying color, IE: if the pupil was a washed out blue, the gama corected eye tends to be A REALLLLLY DARK blue.

I will have to try it your way Hope! I think it will work better!
I did one that way today in my puppy thread. It worked quite well - don't forget to use the paintbrush to put a little white sparkle back in their eye!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have another way that I change the cats eye colour. It's probably not the proper way to do it, but it's easier for me. I take my lasso, and outline the eye, then I adjust colour balance or Hue and saturation or both. It seems easier than making a new layer. I try to make sure that the black pupil of the eye is not outlined, so that the colour change only occurs on what is outlined. However, if I'm working with more than the eye, like when I add Kiss Make up to people I make a new layer and make one layer black and white, then I put the new layer on top of the coloured layer and cut out the eyes and lips on the black and white layer, so that the coloured layer shows through, then I usually enhance the lips on the coloured layer, so that they're redder. That's also the way I make a black and white picture of a cat, with coloured eyes. I just cut out the black and white eyes, so the coloured eyes show through. Then I flatten it.
wow, thanks for that tip! I've just started experimenting with changing cats eyecolor, and it wasn't always working well, and i was thinking dangit, how come i cant get it to look how i want.. the lasso tool works great!