Goopy Eyed Semiferal Kitten

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the semiferal kittens has been battling what I assume is feline herpes/a URI for about a month now. I got back today and his eye is just awful. I managed to snag him while he was eating, wipe his eye, and put some plain Neosporin on it (this is what I was told to do with Evie when she was a kitten and had a bad URI). He protested the whole way but I got the job done.

Is there anything else I can do? We just go back from taking Whiskers to the vet (long story) so if we could avoid a vet visit, that would be great. He is otherwise eating and drinking well, and playing with his sister/mom/other cats.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that, from what you describe, this does sound like it could be feline herpesvirus. You could try l-lysine to see if it helps, but if he doesn’t get better, I do think a vet visit would be in order.

Here’s a thread about a cat who showed similar symptoms: Herpes...

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that, from what you describe, this does sound like it could be feline herpesvirus. You could try l-lysine to see if it helps, but if he doesn’t get better, I do think a vet visit would be in order.

Here’s a thread about a cat who showed similar symptoms: Herpes...
L-lysine hasn't helped everyone, but it saved our bacon with Baby Girls eye. Plus, it's odorless and has no taste (I didn't taste it, I'm just going based on what I was told ;)) so it should be easy to put in the food.
How old is the kitten roughly?
Also, whatever happened with Whiskers I hope it's not serious and she's feeling better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
L-lysine hasn't helped everyone, but it saved our bacon with Baby Girls eye. Plus, it's odorless and has no taste (I didn't taste it, I'm just going based on what I was told ;)) so it should be easy to put in the food.
How old is the kitten roughly?
Also, whatever happened with Whiskers I hope it's not serious and she's feeling better.
I'll order some L-lysine form Amazon and put it in his food. Is it ok if the other kitties eat it, even if they don't need it?
He is 4ish months old. Very feisty. Sister seems to not have her eyes affected like Airgun does.
Thank you for your concerns about Whiskers! She is just getting older and we are combating what I call Skinny Old Cat Syndrome. She eats, just not enough to be at the weight she should be. She should be about 9lbs, she's 7.5lbs. We give her kitten food for the higher fat content.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would probably benefit them, and I bet it wouldn't hurt them at all. From what I've read, it's just a good immune system boost.
Understood on the "Skinny Old Cat Syndrome". Queen Bee is healthy but she's a light weight of a fine bone structure, and is active. We feed her 3-4 times a day now, and stand there to block thieves trying to steal her food. Baby Girl is really not getting why Dad doesn't feed her too, but she's a bit of a pork chop :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Just placed an order! I hope it helps Airgun's eyes. He swatted and hissed at me when I went out earlier, so he feels great...lol.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just placed an order! I hope it helps Airgun's eyes. He swatted and hissed at me when I went out earlier, so he feels great...lol.
We know how that feels! When our asthmatic cat is placid about using his inhaler we worry he's not feeling well. When he karate chops and round-house kicks it out of our hands, we know he's feeling great.
Less than a week ago he bested himself, and not only sent it across the room but managed to pop the mask off the chamber AND pop the inhaler out. I was barely awake and had to look at the instructions because I was trying to cram the inhaler in the mask attachment and was getting mad that it wasn't working, I woke my wife up to help, meanwhile he strolled around and meowed at me for breakfast. That's my boy :lol: