Herpes...

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have experience with feline herpes?

How do you treat bad flare ups?

I've been doing some research and apparently l-lysine does not treat it. There was a clinical study and they found it had no affect on the virus.

Fayola is pregnant by the way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 13 yr old herpes kitty who was diagnosed when she was 2. What issues are you having?
Her eyes. They are inflamed and running gunky stuff constantly. Also, I just noticed that around her mouth seems sore. She's pregnant and I'm afraid the kittens will be in danger when born... if not already in utero.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet treats herpes flare-ups with Famvir (famcyclovir) but I don’t know about its use in pregnancy in cats.

In humans the danger of transmission is at birth, of course this is for genital herpes.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use VetriScience DMG to help manage herpes flares with one of my cats. I give it as a daily supplement and then use twice daily with flares. I do find that during flares, L lysine does help. I use the chews.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you stephanietx stephanietx , silkenpaw silkenpaw , and shadowsrescue shadowsrescue for taking the time to respond.

I went to Walmart last night and bought some l-lysine for her - sprinkled some into her food and she ate it. Only time will tell. She's due any day now. Since the rescue isn't giving me anything for it. I will call my vet and ask what I should do about this.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The mouth sores sound a bit more like calicivirus to me than herpes. Generally there is no treatment for viruses like herpes. It’s just a matter of making the cats comfortable and trying to reduce symptoms. I think a visit to the vet is a good idea if the symptoms aren’t subsiding.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible that the mouth sores are caused by stress. Do you have Feliway diffusers running to help her de-stress. For her eyes, you can keep wiping them with a warm cloth. You might be able to add some colloidal silver to her food, but I don't know if it's pregnancy safe.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that the mouth sores are caused by stress. Do you have Feliway diffusers running to help her de-stress. For her eyes, you can keep wiping them with a warm cloth. You might be able to add some colloidal silver to her food, but I don't know if it's pregnancy safe.
Unfortunately, I can't wipe them anymore. She's gotten super sensitive these last few days and any attempt to get close to her with anything other than my hand (even my hand), she hisses and slaps. She sees the paper towel in my hand and she gets defensive.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just searching this exact topic. My boy Ollie will deal with this his lifetime and seems to be having a flare up at the moment. His eyes are red and I have ointment for them, but I was interested in any other treatments. I have also read about lysine and will give it a try. Do you only give it during a flare up? I have not heard of the VetriScience DMG but will look into this. Would I give this with the lysine? Is it just for flare ups or all the time? I have a vet visit with my youngest kitten tomorrow and will ask the vet about it. I have found with Ollie, that when his eyes are bad, if I take a cotton oval pad and moisten it with warm water, he will let me press it into the corner of his eye to loosen the gunk.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing that if you are giving your cat VetriScience DMG, you wouldn't want to go through the trouble to also give l-lysine because they both do the same thing in a sense - strengthen the immune system.

There is also Vetri Lysine Plus if you want an extra boost of l-lysine in your DMG.

Some people only use l-lysine for flare ups, others use it all the time. It depends on the individual cat and if they respond well to it/how their body responds.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise