Getting Ready Soon To Take Sylvester For A Grooming, Dreading It Already....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we are getting ready to try to get Sylvester to the vet to get only his second grooming in his lifetime, he went last April because he was matted which he is again even though we brushed and combed him but he is just so long haired we were told he'd have to come in and get shaved down at least once a year, maybe twice but last year it was stress city trying to get him but it was our fault, I had him scooped up, we had the carrier open and standing up and I lowered him in it but as we were putting it down and trying to close the door he ran out, we should have closed the door quicker and of course he ran and hid and I had to keep flushing him out from under the sofa to under a chair upstairs back and forth about 6 times until I finally got him and he and I were both stressed and nuts, and on the ride to the vet he started panting and his eyes glazed over I thought he was having a heart attack and I thought I would too but it was just stress, he ended up being sedated so they could perform a checkup and gave him a Lion's cut and did a great job, but this year I am going to try a vet who is halfway closer to home so it shouldn't be as stressful.

But we can't feed him, he and the others are used to being fed around 5:30 each morning, the vet doesn't open until 8 so how are we going to not feed them as that will signal something is up? I can't recall if we fed him last year or not. What about if we get him into the carrier in the morning and just keep him at home until it was time to go, maybe cover it with a towel, would he be calm like that? I know last year after that stressful chase to catch him we whisked away right away to the vet, maybe the truck ride after that stress was too much, maybe keeping him calm in the carrier then taking him would be better? The other thing we could do but neither Deb or I is crazy about this and it would cost more is to take him to the vet from last year at night and let them keep him overnight, they have someone who stays there this new vet doesn't, and then we wouldn't have to worry about the eating part but he'd be scared and wouldn't know what was going on, he has only been to a vet 3 times in his life, when his previous owners took him to be neutered, when I picked him up and took him to get checked for FIP/FIV before we adopted him since they didn't do that, and last April with this escapade, so he really freaks out when we are going as he is not used to it and who knows what goes through his little head, worrying if we are getting rid of him etc.

I think we could get him into the carrier easier and better this time, but it is the not being able to feed him part that throws everything off. Some people also said to leave a carrier out for weeks before then so they all get used to it, but again it is the not eating part that throws this into a spin; I called the vet and asked if he ate around 5:00 a.m. how long would he have to wait until he could get sedated and they said 8-10 hours but they said they'd have to see how he came out from the anesthesia and if time went on and he was still not ready to go home they closed at 8 etc. etc.

So any suggestions would be appreciated, I want this to be smoother this time for us both but he needs to get this done, he is very matted again.

Thank you!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try and change your morning routine a bit, getting them all used to being fed later for a few days. They'll complain, but it will be a way to make the vet morning less suspicious for them. And try not to stress yourself too much. I know its hard, but the calmer you are, the calmer he'll be. If it's built up in your head as a big deal, the cats will pick up on that and stress too. Picture everything going as calmly and smoothly as possible, with it all being easy from start to finish. It may help more than you'd think ;)

Good luck too. I'm sure everything will be just fine :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try and change your morning routine a bit, getting them all used to being fed later for a few days. They'll complain, but it will be a way to make the vet morning less suspicious for them. And try not to stress yourself too much. I know its hard, but the calmer you are, the calmer he'll be. If it's built up in your head as a big deal, the cats will pick up on that and stress too. Picture everything going as calmly and smoothly as possible, with it all being easy from start to finish. It may help more than you'd think ;)

Good luck too. I'm sure everything will be just fine :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
This is great advice, thank you so much! I know that I am thinking back to last year when we "muffed it" and let him escape the carrier, if not for that it would have been smoother but it is easier to think about the bad than good but we will try this!

And you are right how they pick up on things, last night he was in the kitchen with me and we were doing our usual routine, me on the floor petting him, him standing at his bowl demanding treats lol, and a few seconds later I just said to Deb "do you want to try to brush him a bit?", and I SWEAR he knew what we were saying because when I reached down to grab him he trotted away, and I tried to calmly get him and he avoided me, I said "he KNOWS we were trying to get him!", just amazing how he switched like that....then a few minutes later he was out in the open and I just kept saying "it's okay.....it's okay....", scratched his neck and he didn't run at all! Spooky, actually!!

I just fret so much but he is my baby, he and I have such a bond because when I got him I was still a mental mess from Sebastian dying in my arms, and he was basically living in a bathroom because another cat disliked him, was thin and flea bitten, but we found each other, in the darkness, and came out to the light together, but he is my boy, Deb used to tell my mom when she asked about him "oh my gosh, don't even look at him half wrong you'll get it" ha ha, but he needs to get trimmed again he is pretty knotted and matted up despite our best efforts but I am told ALL long hairs get like that you can't avoid it, and someone said "maybe he'll get used to brushing and going to the vet" but that is very highly unlikely!!

Thanks, this is great advice, little by little feed them later like we do sometimes on a weekend if we sleep in a bit so it doesn't look like something is up!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I am told ALL long hairs get like that you can't avoid it
True, it's not avoidable, not really, although I'm giving it my best shot lately with a zoom groom. Previous to this I've had to use blunt-end scissors when the Big Guy is asleep because his genetic influence of Persian has come through in a cottony, darn-near-almost-sticky-when-it-gets-too-long belly fur. As long as I keep it shorter than about an inch, maybe inch and a half, I'm good.

Some people also said to leave a carrier out for weeks before then so they all get used to it,
You could try this along with catnip or toys or whatever he likes in the carrier, even treats or kibble. I've always figured my cat and probably a lot of others are smart enough to know exactly what a carrier is, and rather than him/them getting used to it and blase' about it, are just stressed by seeing the 'thing' sitting there for days on end and basically are like a feral that's too smart to be lured into a trap. I don't know, I can't work that out in my own head, but yes I tried it and no, it didn't fly in this house/with this cat.

Something else that's mentioned, and I really like it but probably with a 13 year old cat it won't happen, is to do a lot more frequent little trips that just end up back at the house.

I may have mentioned some of these things in an earlier post of yours. In any case, the one thing that finally did work for us (after a VERY similar incident to what you describe above) is to lightly/gently scruff him, with that arm around his body trapping him against your ribs, and your other hand under his rear-end. Have your partner manage the carrier and the carrier door, tilted up on its short end. There's nothing particluarly graceful about this from the human end of things, by the way.
I know a lot of people say don't do this to an adult cat and I totally agree. Don't actually lift your cat with the scruff of the neck. Instead, utilize the scruff (the loose skin) of the back of the neck (and not the neck itself) to help keep your cat somewhat immobilized while supporting its weight with your arm and other hand.
It works when a person has a cat that simply WILL NOT cooperate any other way. You'll hear about it quite emphatically from the bottom of the inside of the carrier.
Whatever happens, all the best of luck to you!

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, the vet had told us when I pick him up to try to grasp his front legs together with one hand and do the same with the back ones, and I think I can do that. It is going to have to be calm but quick, I want to get him and lower him into the carrier without setting him on his tail in the carrier, I was so worried about that but the vet said it shouldn't happen, why I envision him sitting on his tail and hurting himself is beyond me, I guess I just worry too much about my little boy!

And I also had thought about doing short "practice runs" with him, but I think it would work the opposite and make him even more leery of us; I think we'll just have to do our best when the time comes and get it over with. Ugh....

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
It is going to have to be calm but quick, I want to get him and lower him into the carrier without setting him on his tail in the carrier, I was so worried about that but the vet said it shouldn't happen, why I envision him sitting on his tail and hurting himself is beyond me, I guess I just worry too much about my little boy!
Not to worry about worrying, I screwed up one time with my Maine Coon and sort of dropped her, totally accidentally, on her back end into the carrier when it was tilted up on its short end.
She only went down in relative freefall a couple-three inches, so it was a fairly soft landing, but still...

She let me know about it and to this day I'll never know if her tail actually got in the way, got sat on so to speak, (there never were any problems with her back end or with her tail afterwards) or if she was just telling me off in a more general, yet really specific, sort of way.

I'm sure your vet is right. I doubt your boy will do this, but with my guy I have to watch him or he'll bite, so I can't do the legs thing.

All the VERY best of luck to you!! Did you decide not to try any calming products, by the way?

Last edited:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
All the VERY best of luck to you!! Did you decide not to try any calming products, by the way?
Deb and I were just talking at supper about this, and she said we should get the Feliway spray; we have it running constantly in the units you plug in the outlets but the spray would help or some of the Jackson Galaxy remedies.

I kept talking about how this is on my nerves already and we're not even going yet but she understands, when anyone of them get sick she is a mess and I end up taking them not her, and she said "he's your baby boy" so she understands.

I asked her tonight "I know you love them all but do you have a favorite?" and she said "not anymore" as Sebastian was her favorite, and she added "I love them all equally". I love them too, even when Stanley makes me nuts lol, but Sylvester IS my boy for reasons stated earlier, and I take it more to heart with him and I guess that is why I am uptight already....but we will get it done, not yet as it is still cool out, but soon he will go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some other calming products, including other diffusers and treats, there are even collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Composure is a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy.
--Even prescription if nothing else, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well wish us luck, we're taking him this Friday morning to a vet who is about half the distance away than the other one and the roads are much slower, the road to the one before was 9 miles away and we'd be driving 55-60 m.p.h. and you know cats KNOW they are in a vehicle and going fast so that wigs them out more! But he is going, Deb and I both have the day off, I have been picking him up and hugging him in hopes he gets used to it then Friday morning I will pick him up and he will be lowered down into the carrier and we also got Jackson Galaxy's stress stopper so let's hope it goes well. We also are going to close part of the house off and attempt this in a much smaller area than last year so if we do goof up again and he doesn't go into the carrier we won't have to chase him down all over the house and he has less places to hide from us. We just want to get him and be calm this time, and cover the carrier with a towel so it is dark to calm him, use the stress stopper and take a slow ride to the vet, they'll sedate him there and we should get him in the afternoon, I hope that once he is getting shaved the memory of how good he felt and looked last year will come back to him and he will realize we are just doing it to help him, I HOPE LOL!!!!

Oh boy!!!!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Wishing you good luck this Friday morning. :goodluck: Fingers crossed all goes smoothly. :crossfingers: Please check back and let us know how everything turns out.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my two, I keep an old, dirty towel in the carrier and make sure I take a used towel from the bathroom to cover the carrier. The familiar scent seems to help. Most of the problems come from the trip there and back; they do pretty well after they're at the vet's office. A treat or two seems to help get them into the carrier as well.

Good luck with your vet trip.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
For my two, I keep an old, dirty towel in the carrier and make sure I take a used towel from the bathroom to cover the carrier. The familiar scent seems to help. Most of the problems come from the trip there and back; they do pretty well after they're at the vet's office. A treat or two seems to help get them into the carrier as well.

Good luck with your vet trip.
Thank you so much, I'm nervous already lol!!! But I just have to focus on that he will feel and look much better, some of these mats are very thick, I am surprised they can cut through them but they said it is nothing to worry about they can easily do it.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if it would be better to get him in the carrier and use the Stress stopper stuff and cover the carrier with a towel just to try to calm him down and THEN put him in the car to go or if we should just get him in the carrier, use the things mentioned and take him right away? Don't know if it is better to whisk him off right after being caught or better to calm him down and do it in steps?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
For my Big Guy, it's definitely better, well, I think it is anyway, to get going as soon as the deed (of getting him into the carrier) is done...

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Praise God, we were able to get him after somewhat of a struggle but not nearly as bad as last year, we put the Jackson Galaxy Stress Stopper on him and in the carrier and on the towel on the carrier, and he didn't pant or flip out, he was stressed but he was MUCH BETTER than last year, the ride was slower and closer and Deb sat in the backseat talking to him the whole time and the vet and the tech were very nice and said they'd take good care of him. We got a call awhile ago and she said that he had an ear infection in his right ear and a bit in the left, the little guy never showed any signs of it, but they are treating it and I am glad that they found it. He probably had built up a high tolerance of painful issues from living outside and then not getting proper vet care over the years, but they found it and also are running bloodwork just to have a baseline since he is about 6. They called again and said he was doing great but woozy as they had to sedate him, but we should be able to pick him up sometime soon but I want to make sure that he is quite fine before we bring him home.

What a goings on not being able to feed any of them this morning because he couldn't have anything to eat after 8:00 last night so we had to pick up all their food, but it is unusually warm here FINALLY so this morning I opened the windows so they could look out and it was a good distraction. He knew I was after him and it was a bit of a tussle getting him and I got scratched a bit lowering him into the carrier but all went pretty darn smooth, we are anxious to get him and see how he looks but the main concern was getting the mats off of him and not having him stressed out!

Thanks for the support!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We brought him home a little after 12 noon, still a bit woozy but he was snuggling up against the carrier door so Deb could pet him on the ride home. When I set the carrier down and opened the door he bolted downstairs and is hiding under the sofa that he hid under for a month when we first got him years ago, but this time he shouldn't hide too long I wouldn't think, he still is stressed over the ordeal and still a bit groggy so he probably just wants to be left alone until he feels better; I put some treats in back of the sofa if he wants, but with time he'll be right back amongst us all I'm sure. And last year when he got groomed I didn't bring him home until after 5:30 so this is hours earlier so he still needs to let the sedation wear off as well as come down from being stressed.

They also agreed it would be better to take him every 6 months rather than once a year....we'll see, as I also need to calm down from this ordeal too lol!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
this is FABULOUS---good for you!!!!
Isn't that incredible, how they're able to hide problems like that - good for your vet that they gave him a thorough going over.
yeah, my Big Guy seriously hates the feeling of being sedated, I can tell. Although he doesn't hide, he definitely doesn't like it.
Keep an eye on him every now and then, just peek in and make sure all is well. We've been told by one or two vets to make sure the cats' don't try stairs until they've come out of the sedation, but obviously in your boy's case that was not a problem :redheartpump:
:rock::sunshine:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
this is FABULOUS---good for you!!!!
Isn't that incredible, how they're able to hide problems like that - good for your vet that they gave him a thorough going over.
yeah, my Big Guy seriously hates the feeling of being sedated, I can tell. Although he doesn't hide, he definitely doesn't like it.
Keep an eye on him every now and then, just peek in and make sure all is well. We've been told by one or two vets to make sure the cats' don't try stairs until they've come out of the sedation, but obviously in your boy's case that was not a problem :redheartpump:
:rock::sunshine:
Thanks so much! Yes, we were in and out today but we made sure to keep an eye on him and he was okay, just needed some space to himself. And when we came home a bit after 7 I went in the living room to turn the tv on and it was a bit dark in there and I saw a cat laying in a basket on the coffee table who I thought was Sugar but it got up and ran and it was him! So he is starting to come out and move around already, and I'm sure within a day or two he'll be back to his old self! He ran and hid again but it will take time.....he'll come out again!

Thank you!!!