Getting a Feral Cat Comfortable Indoors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg I think their are more of her siblings outside. Just spotted a white cat on the cameras near the house tonight. Almost like they are looking for this one. About the same size. They must be living in the woods or out in the yard somewhere. Just never came out before surprisingly. Im having a hard time finding a place for this one. :( and feel bad if they don't know where she went.

I hope the one I trapped doesn't start being aggressive. Tonight she was vigorously scratching in the litter box. So I went to clean. She had litter all over the blanket so I was brushing it off. I guess I did it to much she actually hissed and swatted my arm. Earlier in the night I took her out to run around. And she spent most of the time on my lap. I hope she doesn't start acting different once she's feeling better. Like acting more feral 😭

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I could change the title of my post. As she's eating fine. My problem now is making her a happy indoor cat. The rescue won't take her unless she's "happy being indoors,". I can pet her. Pick up etc.
We can pick her up, pet her. Even put drops in her ears. She is calm in a carrier and in the crate. But she cries when we take her out and let her run around in the bathroom. Tries to get out of the doors. She does calm down and lays in the corner eventually. I dont have a dedicated room to keep her so she has to stay crated until a rescue can take her. How do I assess if she is happy being indoors? I have 7 other cats so no way for her to roam free.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I wish I could change the title of my post.
I can do that for you. What would you like the title to be?

How do I assess if she is happy being indoors?
She sounds very comfortable being handled. Cats will cry if they find themselves in a strange place. It doesn't mean "I want out" it just means "I want back to my old place". It takes even very tame indoor only cats at least a couple of weeks to adjust to a new home. The fact that she is letting you handle her so much and isn't either hiding at the back of her carrier or doing a wall of death run around the bathroom makes me think she'll be fine indoors