Getting a Feral Cat Comfortable Indoors

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: he ate it. I had put it in his bowl and checked licked clean 😆

Cat has been coming around and ive fed each night for 3 days. He's been hungry and would eat all of the 2.75 oz cup of meow mix(while outside). He ate one earlier about 6 hours later(while inside)I tried to offer a squeeze up and he doesn't want anything to do with it. Wont even lick it off his lips. He's been in a crate for a few hours or more. He has been quite and let us pet him. Hasn't tried to use the litter box. He does have fresh water. I put the squeeze up in his bowl. Hopefully he will eat it later. Should I cover the crate? Its a large dog crate.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he feel more secure if he is covered. You can leave a small gap uncovered on one side so he can peek out, but he'll prefer to be hidden as much as possible
I thought that too. But after I did. I went down later and instead of laying in the middle he's moved to the other side I left open and is sitting in his litter box :( still hasn't used it either.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck, I hope you have success. You might want to start thinking about a back-up plan in case you can't find an organization that can/will take this kitty.

In the meantime, can you get him to a vet or local shelter to be checked for a microchip?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will take to vet in the morning. But it still hasn't used the bathroom. Tried stimulating it with warm wet cotton ball but it didn't work. Even put a pee clump from my other cat in it. Still nothing. It's all stuffy. So can't smell much. But enough to get food 🤔

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good that you're taking him to the vet tomorrow. If he has a blockage, that's serious and needs to be treated asap. Let us know how it goes, okay?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No pee or poo in 24 hours. Eventually eats if i leave the wet food. I tried stimulating with a warm/wet cotton ball. Its a girl cat. Nothing. Brought in a box of leaves. Nothing. Switched out the plastic litter box for a cardboard box. Nothing. I even put a pee clump from another cat in the box. Doesnt seem to care its in there.. can they hold it if stressed? Are outside only cats prone to not go in certain areas? I steamed up the bathroom as she is stuffy and doesn't feel well. But enough not to urinate? Never had a stray not use the litterbox. Shows no interest in it at all 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
24 hours isn't that unusual for a cat that's unsure of where they are, but I think that it's a good idea to take them to the vet as you planned. If they are tame enough to allow you to try and stimulate them it should be easy enough for the vet to give them a thorough medical exam.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
24 hours isn't that unusual for a cat that's unsure of where they are, but I think that it's a good idea to take them to the vet as you planned. If they are tame enough to allow you to try and stimulate them it should be easy enough for the vet to give them a thorough medical exam.
Yea so concerning for me. But she does need a check for a chip and uri. She just doesn't feel well at all. Either from being outside. Or maybe why she was abandoned

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet said about 9 month old girl, no sign of spay scar. ear mites and possibly uri so got shots, wormed and ear drops. No chip. Will be calling each day to see if rescue as room. Or this weekend after we've had her a week. The other place will take her if is happy indoors. She is so quiet, didn't make a peep in the carrier. isn't afraid of us odd she is feral?

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feral cats usually are very quiet. But the lack of fear suggests that she isn't one. Maybe she was someone's pet in the past, and got lost or abandoned. It's really good of you to be doing all this for her.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feral cats usually are very quiet. But the lack of fear suggests that she isn't one. Maybe she was someone's pet in the past, and got lost or abandoned. It's really good of you to be doing all this for her.
Thanks yea years ago I took 2 cats in who were months old and they hissed at me until they got used to us. She is so different then any other cat ive rescued. But she doesn't really pur or ask for pets. You can pet her but doesn't rub on me like other cats

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she might make a good pet for someone who has the patience to work with her.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she might make a good pet for someone who has the patience to work with her.
Right she's calm but afraid she won't be friendly enough for someone to be attracted to her. She needs to learn what human love with. I was thinking maybe she was neglected