Gas Line Explosion In Massachusetts

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever there is or is not, the one irreplacable thing is here with me, purring when we go to bed...not like those poor people who had NO warning!
I am so glad to hear from you @Mamanyt1953 and that you are together with HeKitty.

I am keeping close in prayer for everyone dealing with the storm and the explosions.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom : Thank you for sharing more details about the MA disaster - such a terrible tragedy. I immediately thought about the special needs people and the pets & community animalss; from the autistic adult at home alone or the adult disabled with mobility issues to the cats & dogs in the house and the squirrels,birds and possums in the field. My prayers for you & your loved ones. and if there are any local papers online that you recommend us reading, please let us know....I will post links so that those in my FB group can add their prayers and vibes if they are so inclined.:vibes:
The Boston Globe for newspaper

For web/tv stations, on line:

WCVB or

WBZ which is: CBSboston.com

or WBTS the local NBC station-TV

Or WBZ-AM from iHeartRadio.. a news radio station.

You should hear the bickering.. OMG..
The Governor is furious at the GAs company(Columbia) and the Mayor of Lawrence is livid...

Columbia Gas NEVER showed up at the Command Center.. not last night, not today..

They had fire departments from all over the state there, last night, ready to go house to house to shut off the gas; yet, Columbia Gas NEVER showed up! They had too send most of the fire departments home!!!

The Governor HAD to declare a State of Emergency because of the lack of cooperation from this gas company. Buy doing so, he can deign who HE wants to handle this. He has decided to rely on EVERSOURCE, who is on scene, tons of trucks... going out...

The mayor and the Governor, Charlie Baker, said that they got confusing info by Columbia. Columbia was hiding behind the fence on their property, without ever going to the command center!! OMG

Columbia Gas, was chastised by the Mayor to have a press conference by 4pm.
Columbia had their president hold the press conference at exactly 4pm-- no earlier..

Of course, the regular denial, pretty much calling the mayor and the governor liars..
Columbia was invisible yesterday, last night, and all day today!!!

OMG...

Now both Mass senators are calling for a congressional investigation into Columbia Gas .... they were not even there when both senators visited the area... OMG....

And Columbia put in a request to RAISE rates!! OMG>>>>

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Nevins Farm is affiliated with the MSPCA and Angell Medical Care Center. Angell has the main hospital in Boston, actually, Jamaica Plain. They have a smaller one in Waltham, MA...

Nevins farm is their farm.. and their shelter..
and the Veterinary residents do a ton of training there..It is in Methuen, MA

Nevins Farm is currently boarding 50 pets from yesterday. They will be keeping them for up to 2 weeks (free) and if needed, they will find some fosters for them.

All types of animals: cats, doges, parrot...

I did as about which particular shelter.. The response was what we have been discussing.

The thought is the local shelters are just overwhelmed.

In the future; I have a strange feeling my rescue may end up getting some of these kitties.. the ones who have run away.... sigh....

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this on my FB feed from Angell:

Update on the disaster response at Nevins Farm:
As of 11am 36 cats, dogs and even a parrot, had arrived at Nevins Farm since the gas explosions in the MerrimackValley last night. Animals are continuing to arrive throughout the day. We will remain open until 5pm today to offer a safe space for animals affected by this disaster – and any animals needing help after hours will be welcomed at Angell Animal Medical Center in Bostin, which will remain open for 24 hours.
We’ve been incredibly fortunate to have a huge number of offers of help with donations, foster homes or volunteers and are very grateful to be part of such a supportive community. Here’s how folks can help:
1. Make a donation to Nevins Farm online at https://secure2.convio.net/mspca/site/Donation2…
2. Shop our Amazon wish list or take a peek at our general wish list! We’re particularly in need of additional microchip scanners that are on the Amazon link.
3. Drop off canned cat food (especially super tasty ones like Fancy Feast or Friskies/9 Lives gravy varieties – super appealing to stressed, picky cats), dry cat food, cat litter or canned/dry dog food. We’ll use these to fill our pantry and support our local animal control officers and folks in the community – as well as to help feed their pets that are with us.

That is the info....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Contact information for Nevins Farm is here: MSPCA at Nevins Farm - MSPCA-Angell

Their Twitter feed says that the adoption center has been overwhelmed with phone calls from people wanting to donate, volunteer, foster, etc. They appreciate the response but need the phone line open to help displaced pet owners who need a safe place for their pet to stay. Monetary donations should be made online if possible (donate button on above link) or snail mail a donation in (not cash, though. Check or money order is more secure).

The Nevins Farm wish list on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2TMVUDBLJIN6F

Their general wish list: https://www.mspca.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Wish-List-General-2018.pdf?x62555 Any of these items can be purchased from Amazon or other web site and sent directly to Nevins Farm. Or maybe you have some buried in in a closet or desk drawer (office / school supplies, etc) or have way too many freebie pens and post-it notes and stuff from a fair / convention (guilty of this:paperbag:). Box them up and send them to where they will be used :agree:

I'm not sure how many pets might end staying at the Boston shelter but here's the contact for that shelter: MSPCA Boston Adoption Center

Local coverage:

The Boston Globe
WBUR
Boston News, Weather and Sports - Massachusetts News - WCVB Channel 5
WHDH
NECN
CBS Boston
WBZ Radio
NBC10 Boston

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The MSPCA Twitter feed is probably the best to get up to date info on the displaced animals and how you can help: MSPCA-Angell (@MspcaAngell) | Twitter

Share / retweet / however Twitter works to others:)

Anyone who evacuated safely with their pet can get food assistance as well. Not sure how to get a screenshot of the post here but it's currently on the main MSPCA Twitter feed with a picture of shelving units full of pet food and supplies (with more coming in over the next couple of days or longer). That's a good post to share with others, especially since parts of the affected area have many lower income residents.

I hope people are able to return soon o their homes that weren't impacted to at least retrieve clothing, etc and any pets that may have been left behind.:vibes:

A list of other organizations helping the affected area: How to help residents impacted by Merrimack Valley gas fires

The Red Cross shelters allow pets :agree:

Additional links / phone numbers for how to hep are on page 1 of this thread.

Be wary of scams that pop up during times of crisis:bat: Lawrence, Andover city officials warn of phone scams claiming to solicit funds for displaced residents

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished going through my clothes closets... linen closet is currently off limits--a different story...

I have a huge bag of clothes for them. I am bringing that to my local central fire department... as soon as I take a shower...

Whew.. a lot of work...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of my town doing anything to help out yet (clothing donations, etc).
I am certain that all the cities/towns have designated the Main Fire Station to take donations..

I felt so good doing this.. I filled 2 more bags of clean clothes, some even new, with tags; which I am going to bring over tomorrow...

Good clothes.. deserving cause...

I felt so good after doing so: Kind of like the Grinch, when his heart grew, and grew, and grew... I was actually teary eyed driving home.. It was such a good feeling...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Updates from the MSPCA Twitter thing:

Over 90 pets are temporarily staying with the MSPCA. Some have been transferred to the Boston shelter and one of the MSPCA's hospitals where there is more space.

Nevins Farms has received way too many pet food donations that they have no more space. They are now asking for donations of microchip scanners instead of more food. Or donate food and supplies to the Boston shelter instead.

They are also asking for donations of non-perishable food, such as granola bars, water and sports drinks... as well as personal hygiene products...
Those residents need everything, not just clothes. Every day necessities like toothpaste are needed. I saw on the news that some residents have been able to return home (no gas or power still) but many others are still at the shelters or staying with relatives or friends. It will be weeks before every one can return home, if they even have a home to return to.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the updates! The list of things that will be needed will be growing, I am sure. As mention by Mamanyt1953 (thinking of others, as usual - such a precious heart), the explosion victims had NO warning & it reminded me of 9/11 or those horrible railroad disasters :(

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
As of 7AM Sunday the residents of one of the towns will be allowed to return to their homes.... I do not think they will have electricity. The gas lines to their homes have been shut off and homes checked for gas leaks.

The largest town, Lawrence is actually one of the poorest around.

And the remnants of Florence will be here on Tuesday.. will have some flooding (for us) associated with the rain...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the explosion victims had NO warning & it reminded me of 9/11 or those horrible railroad disasters :(

It's scary knowing something like this or worse can happen without warning:paranoid: From a news article, the suspected pressure problem originated at a distribution plant in Ohio days ago. Was the gas company not monitoring pressure? Or were they but didn't do anything to fix the problem?