Gas Line Explosion In Massachusetts

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MOD NOTE: Some of the posts in this thread have been moved from the Florence thread so there may be some overlap of topics and posters.

Margret Margret posted in Florence:

Breaking news - there have been a series of gas line explosions in Massachusetts, from an over-pressurized main. 70 fires and explosions erupt in Massachusetts

People have lost their homes, there are injuries, at least one town has been entirely evacuated. Hard to fight a fire in hurricane force winds...

artiemom artiemom is okay; I don't know who else here lives in Massachusetts but it'd be nice if you could check in when you have time and computer/internet access.

Margret
LTS3 LTS3 are you safe? Any other members nearby?

Last edited by a moderator:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breaking news - there have been a series of gas line explosions in Massachusetts, from an over-pressurized main. 70 fires and explosions erupt in Massachusetts

People have lost their homes, there are injuries, at least one town has been entirely evacuated. Hard to fight a fire in hurricane force winds...

artiemom artiemom is okay; I don't know who else here lives in Massachusetts but it'd be nice if you could check in when you have time and computer/internet access.

Margret
Praying for the Massachusetts people too. Such uncertain times. At least people knew the weather. But the gas lines that was so unpredictable.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Three communities are involved in this. All power, electricity has been shut off to all of them.

Houses, condo, apartment buildings have either exploded or demolished from gas.

This is from an over pressurization of a major gas line

Casualties: at least 10, from smoke inhalation to multiple blast injuries.

Angell Memorial in Boston and Waltham are taking in any injured animals; as well as their affiliate, Nevins Farm.

Red Cross, FEMA, MEMA, FBI, Boston Police, State Police, massive response from fire departments from all over the state and New Hampshire have responded.

I watched a house burn down because the fire department was so overwhelmed.

So sad. They said the smell of gas was very strong, all over the city.

Sending more prayers

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxden foxden - R raysmyheart is close by, but I just heard from her; she and Speedy are fine.
Speedy and R raysmyheart here, we are in Massachusetts but so thankfully have not been affected by the explosions. My heart and Prayers are with all who are hurt and displaced by the explosions and my Prayers for all who are responding to help. Thank you so much foxden foxden for this message to check on members here.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t believe that any of our regular posters from Massachusetts live in Lawrence, Andover or North Andover.

This has taken over the news stations and the footage is just awful. Over 70 homes with gas leaks, exploded or were on fire. An 18 year-old was killed when a chimney of a house that exploded fell on the car he was in. :(.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no where near the affected area. The area is near the MA / NH line.

Anyone wishing to help those affected can donate to

Red Cross of Massachusetts http://www.redcross.org/ma
1-800-RED CROSS or texting REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Salvation Army https://give.salvationarmy.org/give/171555/#!/donation/checkout
The Salvation Army
Attn: Massachusetts EDS
25 Shawmut Rd
Canton, Mass. 02021

The MSPCA is offering to temporarily take in pets that are affected by the gas explosions / evacuations. MSPCA offers shelter, medical care for animals in towns affected by fire, explosions I'm sure they would accept any donations to help care for displaced pets :agree: So far 18 dogs and 7 cats have a temporary place to stay MSPCA-Angell (@MspcaAngell) | Twitter I hope their owners were able to find a place at one of the many shelters that opened up or hotels that are offering rooms or with friends / relatives who live outside the affected area and will be reunited with their pets as soon as they are able to :vibes:

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am in Massachusetts, also..however, living near Boston.. I was the one who told Margaret about this. I could believe what I was seeing, unfolding, in front of my eyes...

Safe. but so horrified by what unfolded..

I watched a house, on TV, burn to the ground, because the fire department was so overwhelmed...

Many, many more casualties will be announced later...

My deepest prayers to those who are affected by this and by Florence..

I feel for Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . She and Hekitty are safe, but, who knows what she has left to go back to...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I heard there was no one inside there but maybe it was another home. Yes it was very scary watching. I'm just glad it was in the daytime when not many people were home. I was hoping there's a local rescue group collecting pet supplies because i wanted to donate some goods to them to take directly to the people affected.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was hoping there's a local rescue group collecting pet supplies because i wanted to donate some goods to them to take directly to the people affected.

The MSPCA Nevin's Farm location is accepting donations of supplies:

They also requested donations Friday morning, including for microchip scanners, paper towels, dry cat food, canned cat food, canned dog food, and cat litter, the group said on Twitter.

Donations can be dropped off at Nevins Farm, MSPCA-Angell said.

Want to help Merrimack Valley residents displaced by fires? Here’s how - The Boston Globe

Nevin's Farm also has a wish list on Amazon in addition to the items that are needed right away: Your List

I believe anything you buy off an Amazon wish list is sent directly to the recipient.

You can also all your local rescue and ask if they will accept donations to be given to affected pet owners. There's likely other shelters and the rescues area in the who are helping out as well.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you go on Twitter to the MSPCA or Angell Medical Center, you can see some things...

and there has to be a shelter near that area.. although, I wonder if any of them will be open.. ? Methuen, ? Tewksbury??
Just thinking of other surrounding communities..

I will post something to the president of my humane society-- that is if, she sees it...

I just heard something quickly on the radio.. Newton is taking donations.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom : Thank you for sharing more details about the MA disaster - such a terrible tragedy. I immediately thought about the special needs people and the pets & community animalss; from the autistic adult at home alone or the adult disabled with mobility issues to the cats & dogs in the house and the squirrels,birds and possums in the field. My prayers for you & your loved ones. and if there are any local papers online that you recommend us reading, please let us know....I will post links so that those in my FB group can add their prayers and vibes if they are so inclined.:vibes:
Jcatbird Jcatbird : Your stalwart attitude is impressive and encouraging - the exact courageous influence needed in the face of this looming storm. To me, such calm bravery is to valor as flour is to bread :salute::soldier:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel for Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . She and Hekitty are safe, but, who knows what she has left to go back to...
Whatever there is or is not, the one irreplacable thing is here with me, purring when we go to bed...not like those poor people who had NO warning!