Full Blood Test for Anemic Cat

Steve32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I have an anemic kitten that is around 10 months. Our cat is usually really playful, energetic, and otherwise a normal cat except that when she goes outside she'll eat and lick as many dirt and rocks as she can until we grab her and bring her back inside.
Several months ago she was teething and for some reason had excessive bleeding from the gums because of that. We took her to the vet and we got a blood test where the vet confirmed that she was anemic. Our cat ended up recovering and was fine for several months until she started getting a white nose/gums again an started eating/licking rocks and dirt (strangely, she hasn't been bleeding at all like the first time). We took her to the vet again and the vet said we should get another blood test done, but I asked her what the point was because we already knew she was anemic. From what I understand the vet said that the blood test is just to confirm whether or not a cat has anemia, but doesn't address the underlying cause. But I've since looked up feline blood tests and I saw some websites that said a complete blood test can usually identify the underlying cause of anemia, or at least pinpoint which organ is the cause.

So my question is this: Will a complete blood test be able to help the vet know what the underlying cause of anemia is, or is it just an assessment of whether or not the cat has anemia?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. We love our cat so much and we want her to be in the best shape possible. She loves going outside with us and it breaks our heart that we haven't been able to take her out these last few weeks. If this helps, below is a more complete list of her history, but my main question is in bold above.

-at around 4 months she started bleeding a ton from her gums during the teething process. She became very lethargic and couldn't really move around. We took her to the vet to confirm anemia, but she recovered well
-at around 6 months, the exact same thing happened again as above. This time though, we didn't take her to the vet since we knew what we were expecting
-since then she hasn't had any issues since she's fully teethed now. However, at about 9 months she started eating rocks/dirt/litter so we took her to the vet again. Instead of doing a blood test (for reasons stated above) we did a feline leukemia test, which came back negative
-she has not been vaccinated because when we were about to get her vaccinated she started bleeding from the gums. We were suggested to not vaccinate while she was going through all these things to allow her body to recover
-she lives with another cat who is up to date on vaccinations, follows the same diet as the anemic cat and has no health issues whatsoever
-our anemic cat is very friendly and energetic. There is really no indication that there's something wrong with her except for the pale gums/nose and the rock-licking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Steve32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

earthmover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for this article and Steve32 original question. I “adopted” a 10 year old cat from a friend. Her older dog was aggressive towards the cat. Cat had been neutered but never saw a vet again. Terribly skinny all it’s life! I took him to the vet and had rabies and complete bloodwork done. Severely anemic but no underlying condition. I can’t get him to eat a more nutritious diet. He is fine otherwise, not lethargic, normal stools, affectionate. Am I just a neurotic new pet owner?? Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, I believe I posted in the wrong forum.
No, you are in the right forum, but I do suggest starting your very own thread so that the answers don't get confused! Just click on the "Post Thread" button in the Health Forum, and go for it!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A blood panel won’t generally show exactly what the underlying issue is, but it’s an important tool for vets when diagnosing because it includes information about all kinds of things in the body like white blood cell counts, levels of liver and kidney functioning, electrolyte levels, etc.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The anemia can be regenerative or non-regenerative.
A blood panel, namely a CBC with a Reticulocytes count, may help the vet and you understand what kind of anemia the one your cat has.
If the anemia is non-regenerative, the vet might want to do further tests, including a test on bone marrow to see if the problem lies there.

I'm following a bit of researches on my colony's cats, because a few of them have been diagnosed with non-regenerative anemia (one has died), and all of them were Type B blood, along with clotting issues. The vets can't understand it yet whether this blood type can open the door to further blood diseases.