From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried talking to her but for the 63 years I knew my Mom she hated cats. Although she would have never hurt one. It's no good. Mom has her mind made up and that's that.

In my city I am responsible for these cats as I've been feeding them more than 5 days and therefore, legally here no longer considered stray. Especially the ones that I can pet and play with. Shaman and Treasure (with Sopdet gone) would probably come inside with me if it wasn't for crazy woman here. And I don't like the TNR people lying about them being fixed. I've seen cats in heat years ago and this is how they act.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It breaks my heart as I love each and every one of them, but I can't keep letting Shaman get hurt. If it wasn't for this crazy woman I could have had all of them tamed and even tolerate each other by now.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried talking to her but for the 63 years I knew my Mom she hated cats. Although she would have never hurt one. It's no good. Mom has her mind made up and that's that.

In my city I am responsible for these cats as I've been feeding them more than 5 days and therefore, legally here no longer considered stray. Especially the ones that I can pet and play with. Shaman and Treasure (with Sopdet gone) would probably come inside with me if it wasn't for crazy woman here. And I don't like the TNR people lying about them being fixed. I've seen cats in heat years ago and this is how they act.
Yes thats true..when cats arent.fixed...

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
It breaks my heart as I love each and every one of them, but I can't keep letting Shaman get hurt. If it wasn't for this crazy woman I could have had all of them tamed and even tolerate each other by now.
No u can't let Shaman..get hurt...do u think ure mom would let u bring in at least Shaman..if u agreed to keep in ure room??

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now Shaman is in a tree. Don't know where Treasure is and frankly right now I don't care. I'm miffed at Treasure even though he is just being a cat. After this incident I just walked right past him and totally ignored him. But at moment Shaman isn't about to come out of tree because next door neighbor is outside with lawnmower.

Now Treasure and Shaman are together again. Peacefully. Sopdet isn't here but she could be in the bushes. Being that Sopdet is the only one that does not come close to me I don't know if this is all play with them or not. I'm finding it odd that the "buddy system" is on again off again with Shaman and Treasure. I know Shaman is skittish and runs and hides from a worm but I sure wish I knew more about them so I could stop the panic. How the heck did they get along or not get along when they were in the hoarding situation of 80 cats? The human's family is not here in state to tell me. I'm just going by the local stray and feral society here and the information they had on the cats before these were TNRd (in my back yard too)

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now Shaman is in a tree. Don't know where Treasure is and frankly right now I don't care. I'm miffed at Treasure even though he is just being a cat. After this incident I just walked right past him and totally ignored him. But at moment Shaman isn't about to come out of tree because next door neighbor is outside with lawnmower.

Now Treasure and Shaman are together again. Peacefully. Sopdet isn't here but she could be in the bushes. Being that Sopdet is the only one that does not come close to me I don't know if this is all play with them or not. I'm finding it odd that the "buddy system" is on again off again with Shaman and Treasure. I know Shaman is skittish and runs and hides from a worm but I sure wish I knew more about them so I could stop the panic. How the heck did they get along or not get along when they were in the hoarding situation of 80 cats? The human's family is not here in state to tell me. I'm just going by the local stray and feral society here and the information they had on the cats before these were TNRd (in my back yard too)
I know this is all hard for u..N im so sorry..But really with ure current situation ...all u really can DO is to LOVE those cats ...feed them..n show them love n AFFECTION..n be there for them as much as u CAN...They know u are helping them..But at the end of the DAY....thats all u CAN do...is WHAT ur DOING...Taking care of them the best u CAN...U r doing all u can do n ure current situation....And thats ALL u can do...And they are blessed to have u...:):wave3::cloud9::heartshape::petcat::dizzycat::catlove::dancingblackcat::purr::catrub::clapcat:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm just saying it doesn't sound right that at Noon Shaman and Treasure are best friends, then 30 minutes later they're bitter enemies, 3:00 PM same day they're best friends, then at 3:05 PM they're enemies again and she's running from him. There has to be some kind of explanation to the behavior. Is one dying like a mod suggested early on in this thread, or sick? Remember I live with Crazy woman and if she sees this go on she will not hesitate to get rid of them one way or another. So if one is dying or sick (even though several vets gave a clean bill of health) then I would like to know. I never dealt with feral cats before. And if I was lied to by TNR people then I will have to contact them over this situation.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

Today Shaman, Treasure and Sopdet all got along or at least tolerated each other although Shaman and Treasure still insist eating together and from same bowl while Sopdet hung back. No running, no attacking nothing. So I rewarded each one with a bite of mackerel. Hopefully they'll start associating good behavior with a tasty treat.

How long this will last, I have no idea though lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This is perfectly normal behaviour. Even among groups of spayed and neutered cats you get little spats, then they'll get along fine together the next day.

I have a colony of 20+, confined to an enclosure and my house. They'll spend the mornings chasing each other around, hissing and diving on each other, then all cuddle together into a big pile to nap later on.

Having set meal times is a good idea. It will mean that you can see the cats all close together while they eat at least twice a day. If you free feed you won't really be able to tell if they're eating enough. If you just stick to feeding at meal times you'll be able to monitor their health a lot better. It will make it easier to give them medication if ever any of them do get sick too.

You're doing great.

:thumbsup:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you just feed them and not worry so much about every detail
they will do better, they can sense if your upset at one of them and they may be experiencing redirected aggression, just feed them and love them the best you can, you can't control them, since they live outside.

fyi: I wouldn't have a problem with canned food that got hot for one day, it's in a can, you did the right thing, If it smells fine, I'm sure it's fine.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
For a little humor: This morning I told Treasure to get Shaman as breakfast was ready. He runs off to the bushes, I hear a commotion and next thing I know he chased her to the food bowl and then he looked at me as if to say "Like that?" lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you just feed them and not worry so much about every detail
they will do better, they can sense if your upset at one of them and they may be experiencing redirected aggression, just feed them and love them the best you can, you can't control them, since they live outside.

fyi: I wouldn't have a problem with canned food that got hot for one day, it's in a can, you did the right thing, If it smells fine, I'm sure it's fine.
Hopefully soon I will be able to bring them inside. Mom is talking about turning the house over to me and going into assisted living and as Shaman and Treasure are totally domesticated I believe that will happen. They're only 5 years old so chances of them dying of old age before Mom are slim.

At the moment they're hiding in the bushes as we're getting our grass cut. I am glad they have a fear of lawnmowers. Especially Treasure since he has to inspect everything moving on our property (yes even the noisy things)

First they get run off by the Borg (accidentally set that as my alarm while I napped outside for 20 minutes) and now the lawnmower. lol

Oh and looks like they will be missing out on dinner because of this as the lady who cuts our grass is standing around talking on the phone. Mom won't do a thing about it and it's her property. And very life threatening storms moving in too. Ugh This was the only time feasible for evening as Mom wouldn't be seeing.

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sopdet is in lower yard giving me dirty looks as she missed breakfast and has to wait quite awhile before she can eat. I’m not giving in

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
00C045A2-1325-42C4-AE7C-0B6825E8275E.jpeg

This morning I came inside for a few seconds to grab something and when I came back out this is what I saw.

Oh and here is (finally) a close up of Sopdet. She's very timid and cautious as you can see. There is a glass door between us. If I sit still outside she'll come up to eat but sadly I was getting eaten alive by mosquitos so had to come inside tonight.

Close up of Sopdet.jpg

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Mom is talking about turning the house over to me and going into assisted living and as Shaman and Treasure are totally domesticated I believe that will happen.
Well, that's good news! I know it will be tough on your mum to give up her independence, but she'll be much better off in a smaller place with plenty of people around to watch out for her.

My Grandmother had her own little flat when she went into assisted living and made lots of close friends with the other ladies who lived there.

Sopdet is pretty!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure Sopdet is a boy? The coat looks vaguely like a tortie ...

Status
Not open for further replies.