From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cooper stared to fight with Sopdet. Treasure then lit in on Cooper and started to fight him. Sopdet then turned to Shaman running her off and then triumphantly strutting off the property while Treasure and Cooper engaged in a physical fight, blood and fur

I kept saying from the moment I joined this forum these cats are not normal. There has to be something (not physical) wrong with them. They are breaking all the rules of the book. They like things cats normally don't and vice versa. So I don't know.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Cooper stared to fight with Sopdet. Treasure then lit in on Cooper and started to fight him. Sopdet then turned to Shaman running her off and then triumphantly strutting off the property while Treasure and Cooper engaged in a physical fight, blood and fur

I kept saying from the moment I joined this forum these cats are not normal. There has to be something (not physical) wrong with them. They are breaking all the rules of the book. They like things cats normally don't and vice versa. So I don't know.
From what Im understanding..these are WERE strays ..that have been fixed...n are ures by the laws there...Besides that...They are still outside cats..n u take n put 3..4..or more cats out side together...And they were strays..u going to have fights..unfortunely...Thats what they do..U would think them being fixed...it wouldn't be alot of fighting..but with them still being kinda skiddish....wild like...the fixing doesnt solve that...Like another member had told u...N I also told u..U can love them...feed them...n do what u can to protect them...individually...etc...But trying to figure out every little thing will drive u crazy....

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, I forgot to mention that at some point I intend to bring them inside whether it's after Mom is gone or in some retirement community that has already approved the 5 of them. And the two cats were seriously injured, one almost killed. Am I supposed to sit back and allow that to happen? In my city I am now legally responsible for them, meaning if they tear up a neighbor's yard, I'm responsible for damages, if they go hungry I'm responsible and so on. That's because I've been feeding them daily for a year. But there was a lot of blood and fur which I mentioned above and I can't let that continue no matter the advice. :(

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops, I forgot to mention that at some point I intend to bring them inside whether it's after Mom is gone or in some retirement community that has already approved the 5 of them. And the two cats were seriously injured, one almost killed. Am I supposed to sit back and allow that to happen? In my city I am now legally responsible for them, meaning if they tear up a neighbor's yard, I'm responsible for damages, if they go hungry I'm responsible and so on. That's because I've been feeding them daily for a year. But there was a lot of blood and fur which I mentioned above and I can't let that continue no matter the advice. :(
I understand that....Im just trying to put out advice...U have alot to deal WITH...Was trying to help u get a hold on things n to stop worrying so much...NO u shud NOT LET bad things happen with the kitties...but what im saying...its only udoing for these cats..n its hard enough trying to take care of them ALONE....But to TRY NOT to worry ABOUT things u have no control over..:alright::hearthrob::redheartpump:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok but a mod was asking a question as she finds it unusual for fixed cats to behave this way. And Treasure as well as Cooper had to have blood transfusions btw or they would have died so yea I do worry when I take them to a vet.

And if I can't ask questions there really is no point coming on here right? I never dealt with strays or ferals before and I like to learn about them. They aren't like the cute little kittens we can pick up at the Humane Society and live with us for 23 years. The entire dynamics around these 5 is totally whacko and tragic from the start. And after spending 14 months taming 4 of the 5 I don't want to lose that trust. Although Sopdet may be the hardest one but I want to tame her as well.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok but a mod was asking a question as she finds it unusual for fixed cats to behave this way. And Treasure as well as Cooper had to have blood transfusions btw or they would have died so yea I do worry when I take them to a vet.

And if I can't ask questions there really is no point coming on here right? I never dealt with strays or ferals before and I like to learn about them. They aren't like the cute little kittens we can pick up at the Humane Society and live with us for 23 years. The entire dynamics around these 5 is totally whacko and tragic from the start. And after spending 14 months taming 4 of the 5 I don't want to lose that trust. Although Sopdet may be the hardest one but I want to tame her as well.
I do understand..I had yrs ago..A feral cat THAT I started feeding...That showed up at my house one day yrs ago...He would run from me at FIRST..for the longest time..He would stand at edge of woods where I lived at the time...And I would go outside n He would run off...n I would leave the foid n water there for him at edge of woods..go back in..n watch out the window..n he would creep up to the bowl n eat...n drink water..n lay down ...And eventually I did get to rub him...And he got more n more use to me..Then my boyfriend back then...found him one day..behind the shed..He had crossed the Bridge...I cried....My boyfriend buried him..So YES I DO understand MORE than u think...And I LOVE CATS..All CATS....:(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see how the fight started?
Was it two against one? Or all three fighting each other?
Norachan Norachan In case my reply got lost in the thread: here's the answer to your question

Cooper stared to fight with Sopdet. Treasure then lit in on Cooper and started to fight him. Sopdet then turned to Shaman running her off and then triumphantly strutting off the property while Treasure and Cooper engaged in a physical fight, blood and fur which I had to take to the vet. Both had blood transfusions and both are healthy.

I kept saying from the moment I joined this forum these cats are not normal. There has to be something (not physical) wrong with them. They are breaking all the rules of the book. They like things cats normally don't and vice versa. So I don't know

All of them have been TNRd 19 months ago according to the records so like you I am confused. I thought that they would have calmed down by now. Treasure however is getting to be a menace. He's nice to me, Shaman (at times but guess typical sibling) and Sopdet. He tolerates seeing my Mom on the property and the mail carrier but any one else he gets very aggressive and tries to run off. Except with the raccoons, in which they go running when he approaches because of his non stop energy and wanting to play 24/7 without getting tired.

BTW: Hope I tagged you correctly.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Blood transfusions for them both? Are you sure you have the correct procedure as that seems excessive.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That does seem like a very serious procedure to have to go through after a cat fight. Cats don't usually need transfusions unless they've been seriously hurt or had to have surgery.

So, are Treasure and Spodet usually friends? And Cooper is the overly energetic one, is that right?

If Spodet is very nervous she could be giving off prey vibes, which will increase Cooper's urge to stalk her.

If they were indoor cats you could keep them confined to different rooms and work on building Spodet's confidence before re-introducing them.

Obviously this is going to be very hard to do outside.

What did your vet say about their fights? Did he suggest any medication to calm them down?

Mine all get along pretty well, but when I've had foster kittens or other things have happened to make the more flighty ones stressed out I've used Zylkene in their food.

Zylkene® | Vetoquinol USA

Ask your vet if this would be appropriate. You can get it online, or you could ask your vet if another mood stabilizer would help calm Cooper down.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure and Shaman are littermates and for the most part best buddies. Sopdet and Shaman do not get along at all but Shaman runs away rather than stand her ground and fight. Treasure gets along with both Shaman and Sopdet but he absolutely abhors (well for cats) Ambrose and Cooper. And Shaman gets along with Ambrose and Cooper as well as Treasure. I know it sounds like a soap opera. Treasure is the one that never tires out not matter what. Sopdet likes to play but not as much as Treasure. Shaman does not like to play much at all. Which is why she gets annoyed with Treasure a lot. Treasure never attacked Sopdet. He was trying to "protect" her? Cooper appears to be young, like 2 years old, although fixed. I have no idea where he came from. I think he was more "dumped" then anything as the first time I saw him he knew the hand signals for come here and all. I wish I could bring them inside as this would be so much easier. I'll call the vet and see what he has to say about the aggressive nature. Obviously these cats have some history with one another and 5 of them (Remember Shadow) all came from that hoarding situation so I have no idea what went on except when their human died (which none had any contact with except run in gobble the food and leave) the human's relatives from out of state came and just shooed them all out to the streets. (All 80 of them) broke up into separate colonies and this particular colony were outside for 6 months before being TNRd and released into my area where I saw Shaman the first time.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
08B2E9C6-5A56-4143-A9E7-5AFB5A00B5BF.jpeg
New toy a couple of days ago. Wind up mouse. How do I add a 7 second video?

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Posting so that I can keep from having to search for this thread.

A quick update. Although Sopdet and Shaman still do not like each other, it appears they worked out the eating schedule (of course this will change since I'm posting this). Sopdet comes to eat first and leaves and then Shaman shows up to eat within minutes. Haven't seen Ambrose in a week and he didn't stop to eat when I did see him. Hoping he found a human to take him in but he didn't seem to be hungry or in distress. Cooper and Treasure and recuping pretty well it seems.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Treasure looks pretty good in that pic for a cat that just had to have a blood transfusion on Wednesday.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure looks pretty good in that pic for a cat that just had to have a blood transfusion on Wednesday.
Sorry this was taken before the fight. I now see I didn't mention that in the photo but just a few days ago.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I updated this morning about all of the cats :)

When will I learn to not eat in front of the cats? Sopdet 10 yards away from me, Shaman in my face vying for some pizza. haha. Had to come back inside to eat in peace lol At least Shaman was running off hiding from Sopdet like usual.

Last edited:

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Treasure had a blood transfusion on Wednesday I don’t know why the veterinarian released the cat yet?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Treasure is not released yet. As I said the photo above was taken before the fight. I do call and see how Treasure is doing though which is how I know he and Cooper are doing ok and recuperating well.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes Both Cooper and Treasure are still at the vets, for another week.

Another update: Shaman and Sopdet were caught napping side by side. So I'm not going to fall for that scared running away act Shaman pulls all the time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.