From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
32 mph with gusts up to 60 mph in some parts of St Louis. A lot of people also reported leaves blown out of their yards.

For the people who question me about the inaccuracy of my weather. lol Not that anyone on here would. :)

Wind gusts Thanksgiving Eve 2019.png

I didn't even take photos. I just ran out and picked it up before our complaining neighbors balked about it. Funny how they think nothing of dumping their trash in our yard though.

Yaay, Cooper went all the way into the cat playpen to eat. I pushed it all the way back and had no food elsewhere so it was either go in and eat or go hungry.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I put bricks in but at 50 mph wind it isn't holding them down.
gracious sakes!!

place over the tents or the playpen (depending upon what I decide to leave in the stairwell, that will keep the possum and raccoons from investigating it
uummmm. I'm at a loss. Hang on, maybe I can find someone.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
gracious sakes!!

uummmm. I'm at a loss. Hang on, maybe I can find someone.
o
Ok thanks. Shaman went into the playpen for a moment and finally she ate very good. Even had some mackerel although now she's licking her paws like crazy to get rid of the smell lol

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to stand inside the door while she ate outside. Because sure enough if Cooper saw me he'd come running and then scaring her off. I'd rather she eats. I can play with them all some other time. But with winter coming she needs that "insulation" She's getting her scent on everything btw so maybe when Cooper comes he'll pick up her scent and they'll wind up smelling the same.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to stand inside the door while she ate outside. Because sure enough if Cooper saw me he'd come running and then scaring her off. I'd rather she eats. I can play with them all some other time. But with winter coming she needs that "insulation" She's getting her scent on everything btw so maybe when Cooper comes he'll pick up her scent and they'll wind up smelling the same.
I think u r doing an awesome job with the kitties...given ure current situation...

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
32 mph with gusts up to 60 mph in some parts of St Louis. A lot of people also reported leaves blown out of their yards.

For the people who question me about the inaccuracy of my weather. lol Not that anyone on here would. :)

View attachment 309612

I didn't even take photos. I just ran out and picked it up before our complaining neighbors balked about it. Funny how they think nothing of dumping their trash in our yard though.
Oh I believe it..I saw it on line...Heard about it on the news...Winds were bad for you all

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...would a tarp, with grommets that you could possibly tie down with wire, work for over the playpen in the stairwell? I don't know how fast-release that might be for you.
Could you use a tarp for a windbreak between the two posts, or even two for a raccoon hallway or would your mom see that?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
...would a tarp, with grommets that you could possibly tie down with wire, work for over the playpen in the stairwell? I don't know how fast-release that might be for you.
Could you use a tarp for a windbreak between the two posts, or even two for a raccoon hallway or would your mom see that?
I can check into that and see. I do have an old shower curtain and actually was thinking of such a thing, but fitting it would me hard and finding someone to do it for me as physically I can't. Not sure how long it would take me to put and take back down so Mom doesn't see. But it could work. Let me see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

BTW: Cooper got a bedtime treat for behaving. He let Shaman, Shadow and Ambrose eat without fighting them or running them off.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
this is AWESOME!!!
Althought, even with his energy he's too lazy to figure out the food puzzle. Oh well I left it there for him. Maybe he'll get bored and figure it out. Like at 4am when he thinks staring at the door will make it magically open with me emerging with food lol

Raccoon is there now playing with the food puzzle. haha I hope he doesn't take off with it

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. I have the same little cat tents and know how the wind moves them. I know you probably can’t lift a concrete block, that’s about the weight needed to hold the tents down, but there is something else I used to hold mine down that I think you can do. Place a garbage bag inside the tent and put sand or soil inside it, then seal the bag. The sand or dense soil can be put in a little at a time so you don’t hurt your shoulder. If you fill it enough, even our hurricane winds don’t blow them away. The soil also acts as a bed to insulate the cats from the cold ground. A shower curtain or tarp that is similar in color to where you place it may not be easily seen and that could work to keep your Mom from noticing. Hang in there. You’re doing great things for those kitties.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to metion I have 1 minute to move all of that out of sight from area when Mom comes down. She notices a bottle cap so this has to be a very quick operation with my physical limitations. In other words when Mom comes down the entire area has to be bare except for the utility cart. Even the cam has to be removed.

I wonder if getting a huge pallet on wheels that can be locked would work. Put everything on there, and then in 2 seconds can roll the entire cat tent city to the side of the house when Mom comes back. That is if there is such a thing for residential.

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if getting a huge pallet on wheels that can be locked would work. Put everything on there, and then in 2 seconds can roll the entire cat tent city to the side of the house when Mom comes back. That is if there is such a thing for residential.
Sounds like good idea...Maybe look online n see whats available...Something like this below????But probably needs to be bigger...I looked on Amazon...n the larger ones are more expensive...
Screenshot_2019-11-28-08-16-25.png

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a kitchen utility cart is what I need. I take the food out, but only having two hands (one not so good) I can only take out so much at one time. Along with fresh water and all. I have 5 bowls of food (extra to keep Cooper occupied because he just knows the others are getting tastier food then him). Do this all while being quiet so Mom doesn't hear. I give Cooper his bowl which he starts in right away, and have to come back inside for each bowl. Then the water, but Shaman follows me to the door (you know the security guard thing) and Cooper sees this as opportunity. "Oh boy. She's through eating. More food for me." So he makes a beeline to her bowl. Shaman however won't venture to the unoccupied bowl. I learned something about her last year that even if the bowl is in 3 inches away from her usual spot she seems confused. Talk about Diva lol. So yea some of this is also Shaman's doing. She needs to eat her food before taking off looking for me.

Too bad this isn't Star Trek, I'd just send a holo image of myself to the cats.

But a milestone. Shadow let me pet her and she rubbed against me. This is the first time and on Thanksgiving at that, she allowed it. It was accidental as she was standing between the food bowl mat and my hand and she wouldn't move, but she didn't flinch and run off when my hand brushed against her. Then she brushed against my leg.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a kitchen utility cart is what I need. I take the food out, but only having two hands (one not so good) I can only take out so much at one time. Along with fresh water and all. I have 5 bowls of food (extra to keep Cooper occupied because he just knows the others are getting tastier food then him). Do this all while being quiet so Mom doesn't hear. I give Cooper his bowl which he starts in right away, and have to come back inside for each bowl. Then the water, but Shaman follows me to the door (you know the security guard thing) and Cooper sees this as opportunity. "Oh boy. She's through eating. More food for me." So he makes a beeline to her bowl. Shaman however won't venture to the unoccupied bowl. I learned something about her last year that even if the bowl is in 3 inches away from her usual spot she seems confused. Talk about Diva lol. So yea some of this is also Shaman's doing. She needs to eat her food before taking off looking for me.

Too bad this isn't Star Trek, I'd just send a holo image of myself to the cats.

But a milestone. Shadow let me pet her and she rubbed against me. This is the first time and on Thanksgiving at that, she allowed it. It was accidental as she was standing between the food bowl mat and my hand and she wouldn't move, but she didn't flinch and run off when my hand brushed against her. Then she brushed against my leg.
So what u r saying u need something like what people move refrigerator with???Or something else..I saw some that was upright with handle where u could like put several boxes on n roll ..like below also at Amazon...These type are more expensive...cause they have the handle which is more convenient
Screenshot_2019-11-28-08-31-21.png

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
For the tents, something like the pallet on a dolly (is that what you call it?) I've seen some commercially when I worked that locked. So the cats could just jump up to the tents and in less than 30 seconds I can unlock and move to the side of the house for the Mom alert.

To bring out the food and water in the mornings a kitchen utility cart that has wheels would be nice. That way I can just take it all outside at once and no cat follows the security guard (me) back to the door leaving their food bowl unoccupied. You can't blame Cooper. He sees Shaman leaving the food bowl to follow me and figures she's through eating and that means more for him.

Something like this for the dollies. Even if I had three of them I could easily just pull all 3 to the side of the house when Mom comes down in record time. I can't afford a lot on those unless I look at garage sales.

And something similar to this for the kitchen utlility cart. Heck I could even put my laptop on there and wheel that out to do some work (in nice warm weather that is).

I'm not talking these exact items but something affordable that can do the trick. Then I can do the tips given by furballsmom and jcat for the tents to keep them from blowing away.

Thanks. Those look pretty sturdy. I'll take a look at those. :)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Something like this for the dollies. Even if I had three of them I could easily just pull all 3 to the side of the house when Mom comes down in record time. I can't afford a lot on those unless I look at garage sales.

And something similar to this for the kitchen utlility cart. Heck I could even put my laptop on there and wheel that out to do some work (in nice warm weather that is).

I'm not talking these exact items but something affordable that can do the trick. Then I can do the tips given by furballsmom and jcat for the tents to keep them from blowing away.
I think they would work...U have some great ideas...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's Thanksgiving, I"m lax with the meal rules with the cats like I am with myself about eating. I announced it to them as "special day". And no fighting. Cooper ate from his plate, Shaman ate from hers and aside from the occasional looking at each other to make sure they were safe they stayed at their bowls/plates. Then Cooper finished and looked at Shaman and walked off into the back yard, I guess looking for Shadow or Ambrose. But not once did he bother Shaman and she did not follow me to the door when I came back inside. Small victory. I hope it lasts.

And Shadow rubbed up against me again. Finally all of them have been domesticated. They may not like each other but I guess they like me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.