Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks.

BTW: how long does it take, normally, for cats to get used to something new in their environment? Just out of curiosity.

Also don't I have to have someone wanting him? If no one wants him then I'm still in the same situation as I am now.

Also the feeding situation: I read even on here conflicting opinions/truths? Some say a cat will starve themself. Others say if a cat gets hungry enough he/she will eat, whether afraid of something, another cat or whatever and not allow themselves to die of starvation. I have no idea what is true and what isn't true. I already lost 2 cats. I'm sorry if I'm panicking over the Shaman tragedy here. :(

So will Shaman allow herself to starve because she's afraid of Cooper? Or will she, if hungry enough come and stand up for herself? l can't lose a 3rd cat to death in the span of 2 months. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it depends, a timid cat may take longer to become comfortable with something new, but on the other hand if it's involved with a person they know and trust, it likely won't take that long. A couple, 3 or 4 days? I'm not sure.
DDFL doesn't require an adopter to be in place, I'm not sure about other organizations. There's Maxfund too, -- even if you can't get Cooper to Colorado these organizations may have useful info for you as to what might work.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends, a timid cat may take longer to become comfortable with something new, but on the other hand if it's involved with a person they know and trust, it likely won't take that long. A couple, 3 or 4 days? I'm not sure.
DDFL doesn't require an adopter to be in place, I'm not sure about other organizations. There's Maxfund too, -- even if you can't get Cooper to Colorado these organizations may have useful info for you as to what might work.
Ok thanks. I'll look into that.

Also the feeding situation: I read even on here conflicting opinions/truths? Some say a cat will starve themself for various reasons. Others say if a cat gets hungry enough he/she will eat, whether afraid of something, another cat or whatever and not allow themselves to die of starvation. I have no idea what is true and what isn't true. I already lost 2 cats. I'm sorry if I'm panicking over the Shaman tragedy here who is becoming noticeably thinner. :(

So will Shaman allow herself to starve because she's afraid of Cooper? Or will she, if hungry enough come and stand up for herself? l can't lose a 3rd cat to death in the span of 2 months. Again I realize no two cats are the same but the nature of a cat, what do you think will happen? Of course all of this could be avoided if Mom would just let me bring one of them inside long enough to feed. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I could try that. I was thinking of containing him in his favorite sleeping tent while he ate. Lure him in with his food and quickly zip up the tent. That is if he'll go back in a 2nd time. I have no other ideas how to contain him. He'll walk around the yard looking for more food bowls. And I stated many times Shaman was the first to show up, I don't want her to move on. She's actually the only thing left of the litter as I lost Treasure. I just don't have a lot of space to work with because of Mom seeing. I'm kind of stuck with that one small area. :(

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen a cat eat as much as him. Not even Pepper ate that much when she was a kitten and she lived 23 years. Of course she was an inside cat so that could make a difference. Cooper will stick his head inside the tent to eat. I may try to lure him with the mackerel though which I"ll pick up today. I was hoping that being hungry enough would have kept him interested in his own food rather than Shaman's food.

A cat's Thanksgiving of turkey and giblets with some freshpet chicken with pumpkin. The mackerel is for training purposes only.

1574800013597.png

And some Cat dice for playtime. Cooper is outside batting the green one around the yard with fury. lol

1574800249114.png

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper got Thanksgiving as well. And presents although she was more interested in the boxes than the toys themselves. Non of these cats like boxes but then they are feral so that could explain a lot. I know I spoil them but I"m trying to look at like this: I don't know what their lives were like when in the hoarding situation or the months that followed their humans passing until TNRd by my municipality. And being feral, it saddens me that I don't know what their future holds either. It may be wonderful or sadly may be like Sopdet and Treasure. So I want to make sure that every day each of these cats can live a life like a cat is supposed to live, barring Mom's resistance to letting them inside. That's why I'm spoiling them with toys, beds and tents and holiday meals. One of them may not be here tomorrow and if so I'll know that I let them experience love during what time they had. And who knows maybe one day they'll all be inside with me.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper got Thanksgiving as well. And presents although she was more interested in the boxes than the toys themselves. Non of these cats like boxes but then they are feral so that could explain a lot. I know I spoil them but I"m trying to look at like this: I don't know what their lives were like when in the hoarding situation or the months that followed their humans passing until TNRd by my municipality. And being feral, it saddens me that I don't know what their future holds either. It may be wonderful or sadly may be like Sopdet and Treasure. So I want to make sure that every day each of these cats can live a life like a cat is supposed to live, barring Mom's resistance to letting them inside. That's why I'm spoiling them with toys, beds and tents and holiday meals. One of them may not be here tomorrow and if so I'll know that I let them experience love during what time they had. And who knows maybe one day they'll all be inside with me.
Very well SAID...:):petcat::catlove::runningcat::dizzycat:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So much for the tent. Wind picked up, blew the tent into the yard and chased Shaman and Cooper off into the bushes. So had to go outside and fix it. Wish they'd just go into the shelters and let me put up these tents til spring/summer.

I need to find a quick way of keep these things from blowing over. Something that takes like 5 minutes to dismantle for the Mom alert. Cooper is back all drenched. Shadow is here but Shaman is no where in sight. She's probably in her bushes. Thankfully it's 61 degrees and only dropping to 48 outside.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I put bricks in but at 50 mph wind it isn't holding them down. 😥

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
We have severe storm damage. 4 cats clinging close as still getting heavy winds. This wind literally blew a cat tent with 4 heavy brick in it to the other side of the yard. And if I fill with more brick then the tents are useless to the cats as they won't be able to fit inside. But eve though they are hanging close by the winds haven't stopped the usual fighting. Breakfast is delayed today since they obviously aren't hungy

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I really could use some help here. Thank you. What I need is advice on the area. This is all I have to work with. Since the cats won't use the shelter (so I may as well pass on to someone else) I have to do what I can with the two cat tents as well as the playpen (octagonal one in bottom of stairwell). These tents are not sturdy but if no wind they won't blow. And the "roof" doesn't collapse unless a raccoon or possum jumps on it, like below. I have frantically searched the house and garage to 1) cover the area in the stairwell. Either something is not wide enough, not tall enough or not long enough to slip either tent OR playpen under. Ideally a door placed on top would work but after I sat one night and watched a raccoon diligently spend an hour moving one brick after another to get to a bug he saw crawl under in the brick pile I figure that this wouldn't work. Again I suffer frozen shoulder and severe nerve damage (ONLY mentioning so I"m not spending 2 days back and forth explaining why I can't construct something). This is my first winter with feral cats (except to place some food outside and not much at that last year as then it was only Shaman coming to eat). So I don't know. Maybe I confuse everyone. Not to worry I confuse myself sometimes lol But I can't be spending 2 hours picking up the cat area after a storm as well as running up and down hills in a 1/4 acre backyard picking up other debris from our garbage cans, cat area, etc. Being in St Louis our weather is unpredictable like yesterday it went from 61 degrees and calm to 20 mph winds and 47 in the span of 15 minutes. Anyway neither here nor there. Cooper got scared from his "safe " (ha yea right) domain 7 times last night. I didn't sleep as there was stuff blowing our windows and the noise kept me awake.

So again I'm asking, please, I'm on my knees begging, does anyone know what I can place over the tents or the playpen (depending upon what I decide to leave in the stairwell, that will keep the possum and raccoons from investigating it and collapsing the thing with a cat inside (like 4 times before). Thanks.

Oh and btw: See the shelter with the brick on top? The wind blew that to the back of the yard last night.

1574863574344.png

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I really could use some help here. Thank you. What I need is advice on the area. This is all I have to work with. Since the cats won't use the shelter (so I may as well pass on to someone else) I have to do what I can with the two cat tents as well as the playpen (octagonal one in bottom of stairwell). These tents are not sturdy but if no wind they won't blow. And the "roof" doesn't collapse unless a raccoon or possum jumps on it, like below. I have frantically searched the house and garage to 1) cover the area in the stairwell. Either something is not wide enough, not tall enough or not long enough to slip either tent OR playpen under. Ideally a door placed on top would work but after I sat one night and watched a raccoon diligently spend an hour moving one brick after another to get to a bug he saw crawl under in the brick pile I figure that this wouldn't work. Again I suffer frozen shoulder and severe nerve damage (ONLY mentioning so I"m not spending 2 days back and forth explaining why I can't construct something). This is my first winter with feral cats (except to place some food outside and not much at that last year as then it was only Shaman coming to eat). So I don't know. Maybe I confuse everyone. Not to worry I confuse myself sometimes lol But I can't be spending 2 hours picking up the cat area after a storm as well as running up and down hills in a 1/4 acre backyard picking up other debris from our garbage cans, cat area, etc. Being in St Louis our weather is unpredictable like yesterday it went from 61 degrees and calm to 20 mph winds and 47 in the span of 15 minutes. Anyway neither here nor there. Cooper got scared from his "safe " (ha yea right) domain 7 times last night. I didn't sleep as there was stuff blowing our windows and the noise kept me awake.

So again I'm asking, please, I'm on my knees begging, does anyone know what I can place over the tents or the playpen (depending upon what I decide to leave in the stairwell, that will keep the possum and raccoons from investigating it and collapsing the thing with a cat inside (like 4 times before). Thanks.

Oh and btw: See the shelter with the brick on top? The wind blew that to the back of the yard last night.

View attachment 309596
My goodness..How strong are the winds???To blow the shelter away n it had bricks on it...:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.