From Feral To Lap Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It could also have been Shaman. He wanted to play and she wants to chill. Isn’t that IR wonderful? I’m glad I got this cam

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats know better then to mess with these guys. However one of them is friendly (just like his ancestor from back in the 80s was who would visit me through the window) and wanted to check out the cam. I'm confident the cats are ok around the wildlife. It's the cats with the humans that worries me.

And while, as a rule I don't leave food out at night, Shaman and Treasure were eating when I had to wind up coming back inside to set the alarm and I couldn't just snatch the dish away from them so that's why the plate is there.

View media item 422865

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats know better then to mess with these guys. However one of them is friendly (just like his ancestor from back in the 80s was who would visit me through the window) and wanted to check out the cam. I'm confident the cats are ok around the wildlife. It's the cats with the humans that worries me.

And while, as a rule I don't leave food out at night, Shaman and Treasure were eating when I had to wind up coming back inside to set the alarm and I couldn't just snatch the dish away from them so that's why the plate is there.

View media item 422865
Oh MY

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess they looking for food too..Just Dont hurt the kitties
They all live together in the bushes. Raccoons don't normally hurt cats unless their's a shortage of food, which in the suburbs there isn't. If there was no food here they'd just go and root through a neighbor's garbage can. And possums don't hurt anything. They put on a show growling and baring teeth but truth be told you look at them and they roll over playing dead

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
They all live together in the bushes. Raccoons don't normally hurt cats unless their's a shortage of food, which in the suburbs there isn't. If there was no food here they'd just go and root through a neighbor's garbage can. And possums don't hurt anything. They put on a show growling and baring teeth but truth be told you look at them and they roll over playing dead
:lol:Root in the neighbors garbage can...N roll over n play dead:flail:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeding these cats at 7:15 am for a month and they still show up an hour early whining for food. They’ll never adjust to the winter schedule. :(

3910714B-569E-46AD-B2E2-3FEBF307D84A.png

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Sopdet just attacked Shaman. Can't be serious though because Treasure is just watching it. I know it isn't play because there was a lot of growling and snarling. And for those of you who are not familiar with the story, Shaman was the one who came to me first. She came at a time that I was injured and ill from a fall, and grieving the loss of a baby bald eagle that I watched on a web cam. Although she wasn't domesticated at the time she did hang close and kept watch over me. If I was even sad she'd pop up. It was like she was truly a shaman hence the name I gave her. So I started leaving cat food out for her as an offering (Shamanic path) but didn't think anything about other cats as she was the only one that I saw for several months before she showed the others the food bowl (including Shadow). So do I sometimes worry too much about Shaman? Yes I do. I worry about all of them and love them all. But Shaman was the very first to come to me when I was broken and sad like she was sent to me so she hold that extra special place in my heart and I would just be totally shattered if something happened to her.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really doesn't mean anything that they show up early, they are up and just waiting, cats get up early.
My cats have to wait for me to come out as I don't feed when it's dark.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It really doesn't mean anything that they show up early, they are up and just waiting, cats get up early.
My cats have to wait for me to come out as I don't feed when it's dark.
But do they stand there whining and yowling for an hour? That's the point I'm making. They don't just come and sit or lay down or whatever, they come and yowl for food. So no these cats are not adjusting to a new feeding schedule even though it's been at this for a month. :(

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
But do they stand there whining and yowling for an hour? That's the point I'm making. They don't just come and sit or lay down or whatever, they come and yowl for food. So no these cats are not adjusting to a new feeding schedule even though it's been at this for a month. :(
Well we all know cats dont like change...Im just saying...But also we all know...we can only do what we can do...I know its been a month...but give it some more time...it sort of like introducing a new cat to a resident cat...It takes time n patience...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The point I"m trying to make is that it's been said (even by staff on here) that cats adjust within a few days but it seems that is not always the case (especially with these cats). And because of the Mom tragedy here nothing is ever going to get better (health wise and regarding the cats). Most people 96 years old really do not change. Especially her.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
The point I"m trying to make is that it's been said (even by staff on here) that cats adjust within a few days but it seems that is not always the case (especially with these cats). And because of the Mom tragedy here nothing is ever going to get better (health wise and regarding the cats). Most people 96 years old really do not change. Especially her.
Well I hope everything works out for u ..ure mom..n the kitties...n hope they adjust soon

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
First a question:
Do cats sense when their human companion is sick or dying? Just curious because I'm having blood work done tomorrow to determine if I have West Nile Virus. I got bit and am showing some of the signs of WNV (hopefully not) but after they were from the hoarding situation and kicked to the curb after that human died, how do cats perceive this? Meaning if something did happen to me (again hope not but I just like to know) would they feel like they were let down and abandoned again or do they perceive something is wrong. And yes I read the article about preparing your pet for if you die. Again it is always good to think ahead and prepare (and tbh with the way things are) there really is no guarantee I'll be there for them tomorrow evening. Sorry if this is a gloomy subject. Anyway hope to hear back on someone who went through this with a cat who lost their human.

Ok so now to the update: So although I'm not sure that Sopdet likes me yet, probably more the food I serve haha, she is intrigued by my laptop and every time I take it outside to do surveys (how I earn money to feed these cats), she has to sit to the side behind me and watch and sometimes even come up and poke her face up to the screen, although she'll run halfway across the yard if I turn and look at her

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope it’s nothing and you feel better! It’s my understanding that they can tell if you are sick or emotionally not well, but I think it is more them picking up on subtle changes to your behavior? I’m not sure

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was afraid of. So if something did happen to me they'd probably think they were abandoned again. :(

However, Sopdet let me pet her 2 or 3 times this morning before she backed off. And she still likes to chase Shaman up a tree. Now I need to find a cat toy that looks like a laptop for Sopdet to play with as she loses all interest in anything when I come outside with my laptop to work.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think they look at death as abandonment - cats are “live in the moment” creatures and don’t rationalize like we do. They would grieve and over time move on.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got my micro sd card for my Wyze cam. Continuous recording or time lapse if I want. I'm outside setting it up as that is where I want it and look who's supervising me. :)

Today she is being extra lazy. You'd think with the weather being not too hot and very nice she'd want to play with her energizer bunny brother Treasure.

Setting up micro sd card.jpg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Cooper and Treasure never learn. Sopdet, Shaman and Treasure were up here by me and Cooper shows up. The hissing and growling commenced, Shaman ran one direction, Sopdet headed for the bushes and I came inside as I learned last week these two do the fighting for attention. Once I come inside there is no fighting.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman was viciously attacked by a raccoon. She may die. My heart is breaking in two. This is the last update you'll get from me. I'll keep myself together for the surviving cats but Shaman was my favorite of course and I'm really crying over this. None of this would have happened if not for crazy woman..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.