Frightened Adopted Cat- Help...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffry is Geoffrey--- a very easy to spook, frightened kitty...sigh

The acne has worsened.. sigh...and I found a clump of fur on the floor, with a small furless patch with a scab on the back of his ear.... sigh... sigh..

He was supposed to go in today for a follow-up vet appointment. I called the Vet on Monday. We both agreed to keep him home.

She said she is not quite convinced it is a food allergy; there is an autoimmune response that goes along with severe stress.. and G has been through a ton, in the past month.. so...

She suggested I try a Pred tablet.. only try, to get it into him.. but do not force it.. sigh
And will check in next week.

She gave me pill pockets to try.. nope..
tried the PP..walked away.. tried mixing it with some treats--nope, does not want any treats, anymore... tried wrapping it in cheese--nope, tried coating it in butter--nope...

Got one pill in him by mixing it with his food. He ate it. The next time I tried it, he refused the food.. sigh...

Then my anxiety got into play. Yup, I did what I was not supposed to do.. I picked him up and forced it into him, in a capsule.. man, is he strong.. and he scratches...

He ran away, under my bed... and stayed away from me, all day.. this was yesterday..

When he had to use the litter box, he slinked, low to the ground... and avoided me.. I felt terrible.. so no more pred for him.. I cannot do it to him.. I am afraid he will shut down...

Geoffrey did kind of forgive me, last night. He came out, we played a bit with DaBird, He made me laugh.. but not a rousing play session..
He did sit on the back of the sofa with me, while I was lying down..

While I was stretched out on the recliner, he came over to the sofa arm, to stay next to me.. as close as he could get, without being on my chair or on me..

He did jump on the back of my recliner..staying a brief 5 seconds..

so some small progress. and a lot of setbacks...

Still getting accustomed to his taste in foods. He dislikes turkey to the point of just refusing it. He does not like Purina Pro Plan.. He is now refusing the food he had in the shelter..

He seems to like Wellness Core. I try to get the shreds for him.. I mash it up a bit.

I got a sample of Dr Elsey's Canned Chicken.. He devoured that. I ordered a case from Chewy.

He also seems to like the sample of Dr Elsey's Chicken Dry food. He is refusing the Wellness Core, Herring and Tuna....

I am still afraid of a food allergy.. (chicken)...sigh..

The adoption guy tried to reach his prior owner, at my suggestion, to see if he had acne before, or if he had a food allergy... no luck.. the landline was disconnected.. sigh..

I was dejected, and down yesterday.. seriously.. I do not know if I am cut out for this.. and a possible food allergy?? OMG.. not again...

G needs a ton of love, quiet, and help... I am not sure I am the right person for it..
I cannot return him.. I could not live with myself, if I did...he is so sweet.. I am getting to understand his cries/meows..

I have to remember that he is not Artie. That he is his own person, and he does not even know what his own person is.. He has been somehow abused or neglected.. and he has been through so much in such a short period of time.. I have to remember to be patient with him.. not to raise my voice--even when talking nicely to him.. He has to get adjusted to all the new sounds, noises, scents, food, litter, and me....sigh

He is such a sweet boy.. I can see how he got the name, Goofy. He digs to China, in the litter box--- down to the plastic on one side of the box, and a huge pile on the other.. He covers his poop, but steps in it!!! He pees right up against the side of the box.. most of the litter is out on the mat!!!!

I got him an extra large box, and it still happens.. I ordered a high sided box.. I have to try that out..

He is so funny when he 'cover' up his food.

He is so darned cute when he comes running to you, when you are sitting on the 'pot' in the bathroom. G gives a very soft, squeaky, meow, rubs up against you, and then puts his paw on your thigh.. sweet. and then he circles the toilet!!!

He does occasionally get on my sofa, reaching up on the wall, as if he wants to climb the wall, while crying... weird.. I wonder if he smells Artie?

He is afraid of the heat, from the high wall ducts..

He is afraid of sudden noises, running directly to under my bed.

He is still a Vampire Cat.. but he seems to be coming out a bit more, to explore..

Kids in the corridor, freak him out..

I really think he would do well with another cat, but I can only have one, ESA...

Got another shipment from Chewy. My great room has 2 chewy boxes and 2 large pieces of wrapping paper... Wonder how he will cope with this...

OMG.. he just discovered the new Chewy Box!!! I put it on it's side, with the top open (flimsy). He sniffed it, and almost went in.. I am leaving it there.. I put a candle on...and he has never seen a candle before.. wow..amazing.. You should have seen him watching the flame, from the floor. It is on my dining room table, so I can keep an eye on things..
I do not keep it on for long, but I needed a treat for myself. sigh...

Last night, he was on my kitchen counter. I could see his shadow from where I sit.. I did not say anything. Then, when He jumped on my refrigerator, I very gently said, GET DOWN, DOWN, GET DOWN... nothing.. Once he heard me moving to get up, he jumped down, ears back, when running, and leaping to under my bed... he is crazy...

When he sits on the floor, at the side of my recliner, and looks at me.. OMG.. I could melt.. I just want to pick him up, cuddle and hold him.. but I can't.. things have to be on his terms.. sigh..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Gum is a digging cat, too. She has a large box and I keep 18 pounds, yes, the whole bag, of litter in it most of the time. She sounds like a kid in her sandbox.

I know it's hard going right now. When I lived in an apartment with a hallway, after living in a house, one of my cats was so disturbed by the 'strangers in her house' that she peed on my bed, usually when I was in it. I slept under a shower curtain, literally, which actually helped with keeping warm in the winter. She stopped when we moved.

I thing Geoffrey will, in time, notice that the loud scary strangers don't actually ever manage to get in your house. This will be a wonderful discovery for him and, possibly, improve his over all confidence.

Sweet Gum can't eat food with Chicken or chicken meal in it. She throws up within minutes of eating it. She can, however, eat food with chicken broth and chicken fat in it. She can tolerate 6 pieces of Dr. Esley's chicken food made with chicken, not 10 pieces, 6, without throwing up. I don't understand, I clean up vomit and observe.

Admittedly, avoiding chicken is hard. If you want to try and see if Geoffrey can deal with the broth and fat but not chicken meat, Sweet Gum eats and likes Fromm Hasen Duckenpfeffer. You order it from their site and they deliver it. It is pricey but less expensive than flushing all the food kit tosses.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Geoffry is Geoffrey--- a very easy to spook, frightened kitty...sigh

<<snip>>

When he sits on the floor, at the side of my recliner, and looks at me.. OMG.. I could melt.. I just want to pick him up, cuddle and hold him.. but I can't.. things have to be on his terms.. sigh..
He likes you - but you just have to wait and do it on his terms and his time frame.

This is my Barry. He stole my heart when I first saw him in the adoption booth at the pet store and I fretted for four months while we worked with our first kitten until we decided a second cat would help. Barry was surprisingly still there - he was a very withdrawn kitten not the bouncy ball of fluff most people want.

Once Barry settled down, it was clear he liked us, but didn't trust us. He was always nearby but petting him was hard. He often dashed out of arms reach; it was frustrating as all heck. He's come around for me but it took 6 months for it to start and maybe a year for him to really relax around me. Even now after not quite two years, he still dashes away if things aren't just right. Just within the last month he plopped himself next to me on the floor waiting to be petted. My wife still can't really pet him although he follows her around the house.

As much as it breaks my heart, I have never picked him up to snuggle him and he has never fallen asleep next to me or on my lap. He's affectionate in his own way and on his own terms.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, artiemom artiemom ! In so many ways, Geoffrey just sounds like a normal cat to me, getting used to his new home and in a number of ways, really liking it! He probably has different ways of communicating his "hugs" and likes than Artie did -- it's like a different language.

Remember it's only been a few weeks! There are so many people that go through what you are going through, with kitties getting used to their new digs.
:grouphug2: :wavey:

I think the main thing to worry about is his scratching and stress response, like the possible acne and/or scratching around his ears/face/chin? I'd have to reread your thread to make sure - but I wanted to ask -- did the vet possibly provide an initial dose of a med like Revolution, with a few extra doses for you to give in subsequent months? That is, did the vet talk about the possibilities of mites or parasites picked up at the shelter? When a cat is stressed, too, their immune system is taxed and maybe it's possible some mites (ears or skin or both) have taken hold on him. I personally think it's worth asking your vet about, and maybe about what med might help him, if so. For me, if I've had a cat that is fresh from a shelter or else one that is in/out of a vet's office a lot, I have given monthly doses of Revolution on their neck and it has really help with a lot of the itching and scratching, when mites are present.
:grouphug:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would be so interesting to know Geoffrey's history. But at least his former owner took him to the shelter, and didn't either a) just leave him in an empty apartment, or b) dump him out on the street.

It definitely sounds like he wants to be around you, but he's just the true definition of a "scaredy cat". I think in time, he'll get braver.

I know it's more expensive, but did the vet mention trying to feed him a hypo-allergenic food?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Geoffrey’s progress sounds so much like Mocha’s—only Geoffrey’s is faster! She spent two or three months, maybe more, running and hiding in her safe place at any new noise or change in routine. I realize now, after having her for more than a year, that holding and snuggling her will never be an option. Or probably pilling her, either! And it took her a year to learn her name. But she sleeps with me, occasionally lies on my lap, and runs up to me squeaking for pets.

Geoffrey is so lucky to have you...patient, caring, willing to let him develop at his own pace. He’ll get there!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am stating to get worried about G. He is not eating..

His decrease in appetite began when I took him to the vet; after the steroid fiasco, it really went downhill.

He has been eating more dry--but not much.. and licking just a bit of wet..

This morning, only a few licks of the wet, and a few pieces of dry.. Was out most of the day: 7-9, 10-2 and then 3-6pm... he ate nothing at all.. same food in the same spot..

He did pee. He is now under my dresser. in a meatloaf position, but it is so hard to tell.. I do not know what to do.

He is so frightened and spooks so easily..

I wonder is something spooked him while I was out?

We had a good play session this morning, and he was cuddling during the night.. He is just not coming out.. it is past his time to come out.. he seems to be getting worse..

What do I do..

The hiding was concerning enough, but now, the not eating is worrying me ......

I think I am going to see if he wants to play..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should try the kitten comforts - a hot water bottle wrapped in flannel, a ticking clock. With everything electric, it's hard to find a ticking clock, but the heat beat rhythm is soothing to all creatures. If not a clock, a metronome. Don't they keep on going once they are put in motion and make a nice ticking? You could even match the speed to your heart beat. Since he hides under your bed your heart beat clearly comforts him.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have access to either...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I am stating to get worried about G. He is not eating..

His decrease in appetite began when I took him to the vet; after the steroid fiasco, it really went downhill.

He has been eating more dry--but not much.. and licking just a bit of wet..

This morning, only a few licks of the wet, and a few pieces of dry.. Was out most of the day: 7-9, 10-2 and then 3-6pm... he ate nothing at all.. same food in the same spot..

He did pee. He is now under my dresser. in a meatloaf position, but it is so hard to tell.. I do not know what to do.

He is so frightened and spooks so easily..

I wonder is something spooked him while I was out?

We had a good play session this morning, and he was cuddling during the night.. He is just not coming out.. it is past his time to come out.. he seems to be getting worse..

What do I do..

The hiding was concerning enough, but now, the not eating is worrying me ......

I think I am going to see if he wants to play..
Oh Cindy, that's concerning. I wish I had a good suggestion but I do not, other than the vet, of course. *PRAYERS* for sweet Geoffrey! and for you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I still have a kitty cuddle pal around somewhere. You can try it for Geoffrey. Or try filling an old sock with uncooked rice or beans and heating that up in the microwave until warm.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I leave music on when I leave. I am always listening to music.

For G, I alternate between classical, country, and a station--which is live, music from 70-90's).. So he gets a mix of voices and music.

He is now waking me around 3 AM. As soon as the heat goes on he freaks and runs under my bed. Kids going to school, make him run.

He is getting more withdrawn.. not improving..

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember I once rescued a kitten from a tree. She was semi-feral and was afraid of everything. During the past several weeks I never saw her as she hid in all the most impossible places, so my husband had to block some passageways and entryways (under furnitures and appliances) just to make sure she would not be able to hurt herself. What I did was just leave out food and clean water for her, and when I get back from work her food bowls would be empty, litter box obviously used. I used to call her Houdini female version. There were times when we would lock glances and all I could see was fright in her huge eyes. But I let her be, and waited, and waited. It seemed forever, until one day she just suddenly climbed on the bed and laid down just beside my feet. It was a miraculous feeling. One step at a time. On her own terms. Until THAT DAY came when she finally came near my face while I was again in bed and sniffed me. When I touched her, she did not run anymore. From then on she became a total lap cat. Very sweet, very loving.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it's hard getting a kitty to eat in the best of times, too. I am convinced that there is a finicky food gene in cats. I don't know if it's possible but can you try getting single samples of food, like single cans, from a few different sources or pet stores? There's even a pet store near me that also gives away small, sealed sample bags of various dry foods. When I got my most recent cat, it took eons (well, seemed like half a year!) to find a brand and flavor of canned food that she would eat regularly. It's so frustrating!
I learned that she doesn't like Nutro of Fancy Feast, like normal cats do, sigh :sigh:
I thought I was going to go crazy searching for a handful of various brands of food she would eat. Could it be that Geoffrey is maybe not liking the brand or flavor of food you are trying just at the moment?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeding him what he was gobbling up, before the Vet visit and before the Steroid fiasco..

His stool is getting a bit harder, from all the dry he is eating.. He does drink water, also the juice from the food.

I am just so darned confused.

He seemed like he wanted to play a bit this morning, but as soon as I turned the heat on--just to get the chill out-- the blowing air, spooked him, back under my bed. The vents are located up high on the walls, near ceiling.
The air coming out, spooked him.

That was the end of any type of playing.

I fed him under my bed this morning. I could not take it anymore.
He ate 1/2 of a small can. He came out later for a bit more; after smelling it, he just covered it up, and went back under my bed..

I put some rags in the washer, with bleach. After the washer began running, he came out, to smell it, walked over to my outstretched hand on the way back to under my bed...

I am staying home more than I used to. I am planing on being home most of today.

I am thinking if he can get accustomed to my noises, even cleaning noises, then he will know that I am not going to leave him.. and that this is his home.

Tomorrow, I will be out early for a couple of hours, then the window guys are coming in to measure for new windows.. That is really going to set G back, quite a bit..

I wonder if/how I can get some zyklene or Valium in him.. he seems as if he needs some.. but if I cannot mix it in his food---food aversion, and he refuses it in any form with pill pockets, cheese, butter, yogurt, mayo, ... I do not know what to do...

Perhaps try the bacon pill mask.. or a bit of peanut butter. I think I may try a bit on my finger first~~~ if and when he comes out.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid that Geoffrey is one of those cats that could never get accostumed with a house life.
My suspicious nature makes me think that when they put him in the adoption list, they kept some details of his life undisclosed in order to make an adoption for him easier.
Maybe it is just me, but there might be more than we will ever be able to know his past, something that made him so untrustful towards humans.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
My suspicious nature makes me think that when they put him in the adoption list, they kept some details of his life undisclosed in order to make an adoption for him easier.
Maybe it is just me, but there might be more than we will ever be able to know his past, something that made him so untrustful towards humans.
It is very obvious that there is more to the story than what was told to the rescue person. I contacted the rescue/adoption person and asked him to find out more information. That is when we discovered the telephone number was either disconnected or a fake number. So there is a ton about G that we do not know. poor thing.

I do not think G is an outdoor cat. He is too frightened of noises, sunlight, fresh air, sudden movements, etc... yet, he desperately wants love. You can see it.. he craves it..but he is frightened by it also.. he wants love.

I wonder if he was physically abused, at a young age.
And kept in a closet, bathroom, or an small dark room or a cage.... it would make sense because of his behavior.

Again, in a short amount of time.. less than 2 months, as of this date, he has been subjected to: taken to the rescue, placed in a foster home (short time) had an initial vet appointment, got his shots, back to foster, just getting comfortable, taken to isolation room in PetSmart, then back to the Vet for another exam, placed in the adoption room, where it is in the open to people /kids banging on the plexiglass, dogs barking, noises from the workers when they stock.. and then home to me... new circumstances, and then back to the vet, or an injection... home, and then me trying to give him some meds...

As far as I can tell, all of this began around October 20th... so... he has been through so much, in such a short period of time..

I just do not want him to 'shut down' from fright.. that happened recently to one of our adopted cats.. did not eat for 2 weeks, once adopted, stayed under bed.. returned and shut down.. no matter what our foster did for him.. eventually he died.