Frightened Adopted Cat- Help...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my... sorry guys... It has been a busy, tiring time..

Geoffrey is making slow strides. Being under my bed or dresser are his safe spots; especially during daylight hours or when there is any noise.

I am able to play with him twice a day: as soon as I get up/he wakes me.. before coffee and then again around 6pm. We play anywhere from 20-40 minutes. The wand toys.. Sometimes he reminds me of the Temptations Cat (advertisement).

I am also trying to get him used to jumping on the bed, while I am there. I lie down and play with him, using the wand toy--da bird or the mouse.. sometimes I keep it on the bed, so he can jump up and know that it is safe to be there with me..

He is using his cat tree--at night. He likes to look at the nighttime lights. He is now feeling comfortable enough to curl up on there, at night--while I watch TV.

I was looking at Jackson Galaxy's site. I was chatting, on line with a rep. He suggested an essence to spray in the rooms, 3-4 times a day. It is called Scardey Cat. He also sent me links to holistic vets and a link about acne.

They advised not to put it in his food or drink or to try to wipe him with it. He is too frightened and we do not want food aversion.

Darn it... Wouldn't you know: about 10 minutes after I go around spraying, he comes out from under the bed!!!! even in the sunlight.. and walks around. It is either the smell he does not like or is trying to find out where it is coming from.

I am also allowing him to come to me, on his terms. I have not been picking him up.

When I do pick him up, it is for only seconds.. and if I feel he is ready for it. As soon as he tries to shimmy down, I let him go.

He is still sleeping with me at night..and is continually waking me up at around 3am..

For some reason, I do not know how; G is now telling me/waking me up each time he poops. His litter box needs to be scooped!! Where the heck did he get that from?? I had to train Artie to do that.. man..

G is now jumping on the back of the sofa, near me, walking on the arm: closest piece to me, who is sitting in the recliner wanting pets... on his head, face.

Wednesday night he shocked me. He did his 'thing' on the sofa, then curled up on the seat, closest to me (in recliner). G was hesitant at first, watching me, but I turned my head... I was watching out of the corner of my eye... he fell asleep there...

Last night, He curled up again on the couch. I was so tired from him waking me, that I had to lie down. It was too early for bed. I took the throw, covering myself before lying down. I gently lied down, putting my feet on the corner of the sofa. Geoffrey watched, and debated whether or not to bolt.. Again, to my surprise, he stayed!!! I was shocked.

When I had to move, he jumped off.
I even caught him curled up on a scatter rug which is in front of another chair.

Very slow..

He is very vocal about his food; and fussy.. refuses beef and turkey; wanting variety during the day. He is getting spoiled with food. He has dry food out, so he eats that in place of the wet.

Last night was a killer. My back, hip, and knee were aching because of the impending storm. I was sleeping halfway between my side and back..It was around 3AM. He comes over, puts his face in my left ear, and MEOWS...right in the ear... I ignored him.

Then he started HEAVY BREATHING/SNIFFING my ear canal.. It was horrible.. I had to stay still.. It was like someone blowing air in my ear!! What a weird cat. Where did he get that from??

Then, at around 5:00am.. I looked at the clock... I was on my stomach. He wanted me up.. he did not like the food I left out for him. He proceeded to jump on the bed, walking all over my back. Then he proceeded to curl up on my back to rest...
Twelve pounds of cat on my upper back!!!

Now I know why he was named Goofy..

I did order another spray from JG. It is called Nervous Nelly. I got it this afternoon. I sprayed it around the great room, and on a box, and a new tunnel.. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, he came out to sniff around. He was out for a while; even venturing into the tunnel and into the box.. these are firsts...
But someone is moving in, so there was some noise. He went back under my bed. This time the spray did not get him out.

The Vet has been great.. calling me weekly for an update.. advising me to take it slowly with him. Let him come to me.. and on his time and terms. She is concerned about both of us.. and wants to help..so nice of her.

Geoffrey gained some weight. He looks almost on the borderline of being too heavy. I do not want him to gain anymore weight.

Right now, G is back under my bed..we played, he does not like his food.. so he is hiding.

G is also testing his limits.. always on the dining room table, on the kitchen counters, on top of the refrigerator. When I know he is on top of the counter or refrigerator, I call out, gently-- NO, Get Down, DOWN... usually he listens, but he is testing me.

This morning he was on the table. I went over, saying, NO, Get Down, Down, while pointing down with my hand. HE ignored me the first 2 times. Then I pointed down with my hand again.. Geoffrey got the message, and jumped down. He is very smart..

I am finding litter everywhere.. I swear he carries it with him, on purpose... just to annoy me.. that and the cardboard scratcher pieces--everywhere. Like Hansel and Gretel..

I noticed last night that when I take the throw to fold it, he runs.... It dawned on me that the one time I took him to the Vet, I had to grab him with a towel. He is associating that experience with any open large rectangular item.. smart cat...

He does not play with sponge balls, just a bit of batting around.. but how the heck did he manage to lose 4 balls in 3 days???? I found 2 of them today.. Where the others are, I do not know... have to look under the other furniture. He does not how to play with me and the ball.. bouncing them, he just stares.. me lobbing them, he looks at it.. but he does push one around, when I am asleep.

Just trying to slowly find his challenge lines and push them a bit...

Very slowly making progress..very slow.. still my vampire cat. Noises are a major issue.

Geoffrey's favorite toy is a Yeow catnip, tiny, Sardine Fish. This was Artie's favorite toy also, so I had a few new ones that I held on to.

It would take about a month or longer before Artie would poke holes in it, and the catnip would come out...
It has been 2 weeks and Geoffrey is on his SECOND fish... There was a huge hole in the head of the fish. Catnip was pouring out of it... man.. goofy is right...

That is the entire update from the last time I wrote..

tiny steps..

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my... sorry guys... It has been a busy, tiring time..

Geoffrey is making slow strides. Being under my bed or dresser are his safe spots; especially during daylight hours or when there is any noise.

I am able to play with him twice a day: as soon as I get up/he wakes me.. before coffee and then again around 6pm. We play anywhere from 20-40 minutes. The wand toys.. Sometimes he reminds me of the Temptations Cat (advertisement).

I am also trying to get him used to jumping on the bed, while I am there. I lie down and play with him, using the wand toy--da bird or the mouse.. sometimes I keep it on the bed, so he can jump up and know that it is safe to be there with me..

He is using his cat tree--at night. He likes to look at the nighttime lights. He is now feeling comfortable enough to curl up on there, at night--while I watch TV.

I was looking at Jackson Galaxy's site. I was chatting, on line with a rep. He suggested an essence to spray in the rooms, 3-4 times a day. It is called Scardey Cat. He also sent me links to holistic vets and a link about acne.

They advised not to put it in his food or drink or to try to wipe him with it. He is too frightened and we do not want food aversion.

Darn it... Wouldn't you know: about 10 minutes after I go around spraying, he comes out from under the bed!!!! even in the sunlight.. and walks around. It is either the smell he does not like or is trying to find out where it is coming from.

I am also allowing him to come to me, on his terms. I have not been picking him up.

When I do pick him up, it is for only seconds.. and if I feel he is ready for it. As soon as he tries to shimmy down, I let him go.

He is still sleeping with me at night..and is continually waking me up at around 3am..

For some reason, I do not know how; G is now telling me/waking me.. that he pooped and his litter box needs to be scooped!! Where the heck did he get that from?? I had to train Artie to do that.. man..

G is now jumping on the back of the sofa, near me, walking on the arm: over to me in the recliner, wanting pets... on his head, face.

Wednesday night he shocked me. He did his 'thing' on the sofa, then curled up on the seat, closest to me--in the recliner. G was hesitant at first, watching me, but I turned my head... I was watching out of the corner of my eye... he fell asleep there...

Last night, He curled up again on the couch. I was so tired from him waking me, that I had to lie down. It was too early for bed. I took the throw, covering myself before lying down. I gently lied down, putting my feet on the corner of the sofa. Geoffrey watched, and debated whether or not to bolt.. Again, to my surprise, he stayed!!! I was shocked.

When I had to move, he jumped off.
I even caught him curled up on a scatter rug which is in front of another chair.

Very slow..

He is very vocal about his food; and fussy.. refuses beef and turkey; wanting variety during the day. He is getting spoiled with food. He has dry food out, so he eats that in place of the wet.

Last night was a killer. My back, hip, and knee were aching because of the impending storm. I was sleeping on my semi on the side and back..It was around 3AM. He comes over, puts his face in my left ear, and MEOWS...right in the ear... I ignored him.

Then he started HEAVY BREATHING/SNIFFING my ear canal.. It was horrible.. I had to stay still.. It was like someone blowing air in my ear!! What a weird cat. Where did he get that from??

Then, at around 5:00am.. I looked at the clock... I was on my stomach. He wanted me up.. he did not like the food I left out for him. He proceeded to jump on the bed, walking all over my back. Then he proceeded to curl up on my back to rest...
Twelve pounds of cat on my upper back!!!

Now I know why he was named Goofy..

I did order another spray from JG. It is called Nervous Nelly. I got it this afternoon. I sprayed it around the great room, and on a box, and a new tunnel.. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, he came out to sniff around. He was out for a while; even venturing into the tunnel and into the box.. these are firsts...
But someone is moving in, so there was some noise. He went back under my bed. This time the spray did not get him out.

The Vet has been great.. calling me weekly for an update.. advising me to take it slowly with him. Let him come to me.. and on his time and terms.

He did put on some weight. He looks almost on the borderline of being too heavy. I do not want him to gain anymore weight.

Right now, G is back under my bed..we played, he does not like his food.. so he is hiding.

G is also testing his limits.. always on the dining room table, on the kitchen counters, on top of the refrigerator. When I know he is on top of the counter or refrigerator, I call out, gently-- NO, Get Down, DOWN... usually he listens, but he is testing me.

This morning he was on the table. I went over, saying, NO, Get Down, Down, while pointing down with my hand. HE ignored me the first 2 times. Then I pointed down with my hand again.. Geoffrey got the message, and jumped down. He is very smart..

I noticed last night that when I take the throw to fold it, he runs.... It dawned on me that the one time I took him to the Vet, I had to use a towel. He is associating that experience with any open large rectangular item.. smart cat...

He does not play with sponge balls, just a bit of batting around.. but how the heck did he manage to lose 4 balls in 3 days???? I found 2 of them today.. Where the others are, I do not know... have to look under the other furniture. He does not how to play with me and the ball.. bouncing them, he just stares.. me lobbing them, he looks at it.. but he does push one around, when I am asleep.

Just trying to slowly find his challenge lines and push them a bit...

Very slowly making progress..very slow.. still my vampire cat. Noises are a major issue.

Geoffrey's favorite toy is a Yeow catnip, tiny, Sardine Fish. This was Artie's favorite toy also, so I had a few new ones that I held on to.

It would take about a month or longer before Artie would poke holes in it, and the catnip would come out...
It has been 2 weeks and Geoffrey is on his SECOND fish... There was a huge hole in the head of the fish. Catnip was pouring out of it... man.. goofy is right...

That is the entire update from the last time I wrote..

tiny steps..
Excellent UPdate, Cindy! He is making such good progress all the way around. And you know Artie is watching over you both, giving Geoffrey pointers on important things to do. :vibes::redcat: Which is undoubtedly why he is doing those things like Artie did them. :winkcat::lovecat2: As for the "heavy breathing in the ear at night" episode, yeah, that would be a little bit weird -- but I'd be laughing at this amorous catman! :lovecat2::winkcat:
Keep up the GREAT work, you two. :goldstar:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Really great update! :clap2: And I think his progress is bigger than "tiny steps". I mean, playing with you for 20-40 minutes! That's a long time! For cat, and human. ;)

Love seeing that he's getting his own quirks. Funny about the "mom clean the litter box" announcements. The 3 AM wakeup call maybe needs to be a bit later though. :)

All and all, it sounds like things are going well.

Do you put up a Christmas tree? If so, wonder what he'll think of that.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Geoffrey is learning to be a CAT....

Yesterday, he ventured to lie down with me, on top of the bed, while I napped..

Then he was refusing all the food I gave him. I have no idea what he wants to eat!!
Finally gave him some salmon pate. He ate it!!!

He was crying all day. I mean all day!! about the food. He was getting to me. My patience was wearing thin. I dod not know what he wants to eat.. I tried several cans.. all foods he loved before. I think he wants the Dr Elsey's Dry Chicken. I gave him the wet version, but he was covering that up..

Honestly, I was ready to tell him to shut up.. If this is how he was acting in his last home, I can see why they called him Goofy, and closed him in a closet or bathroom.. just to shut him up.. man.. He does not meow.. He EEKS>>> squeaks...so high pitched.

Last night around 9;45, he was a WILD CAT..He pooped, proceeding to throw a huge amount of litter outside the box.. then, got his version of the zoomies... OMGosh. NEVER saw such a fast cat.. I thought Artie was Fast, but Geoffrey is like the RoadRunner~~~ beep Beep....

All over place.. at 10pm!!! leaping over toys, jumping on the table, the kitchen counter, the refrigerator. With his ears back, he was flying!!! This was in circuits, each circuit ending under my bed.

I tried to play 'chase' with him, but he just ran under the bed.

And he had 3 play sessions yesterday. The last one was 'wild' cat..

Today, he tried to wake me at 4am.. We played a bit when I got up..but not much.

I was trying to pick up around her today, and wash a lot of clothes. I did wipe down the kitchen floor. Surprisingly, Geoffrey was checking me out, while I was doing the first dry wipe down.

Washed my bed sheets, he was watching me..

He ate about 1/2 can of his herring, tuna, etc pate ... now it is afternoon and he wants a different food.

This afternoon: He has been coming out, refusing the food, but coming up to me, meowing; even putting his left paw up for love/attention. He came over to the sofa also.. wanting attention. and new food

I have some Chewy Boxes, piled up in the other bedroom. I was sitting on my chair, heard a crash.. boxes falling... Geoffrey came running out--ears back.. to under my bed... Yup, sure enough, he was investigating the boxes.. and they all fell down!!!

He just jumped onto the arm of the recliner.. a first.. he was looking at the laptop.. then jumped on the sofa.. weird cat.. late in day.. 3pm and he is walking around.. Hungry.. waiting for new food; wanting attention...But looking outside.. and now on his Cat tree, as I type.. wow.. what happened to this cat?

And I picked him up a few times today.. and a couple yesterday.. Not happy about it, but I picked him up...

Intensely looking out...siting non one of the levels of his tree, looking outside.. and it is daylight!!! not in the dark..

I am afraid of moving.. for fear of bothering him.. or having his cry for food..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWWW, Geoffrey! It's hard to learn how to cat after not catting for so long. :winkcat:
I don't baby my cats food-wise, because I've usually had such a large furmily. I buy them high quality foods that they have shown a liking for, and vary the menu -- three different meals, three different foods per day, plus the dry they always have, and treats. If they're feeling picky, they can always come back later to their food. I very seldom have to throw any away. As long as it's fresh, it's there for them to return to. And covering up is what cats do in the wild to save their prey for later, and hide it from others who might take it. So I wouldn't necessarily believe Geoffrey hates his food when he does this.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps the dry chicken food in addition to the wet foods? He's a very healthy boy, and both isn't going to cause the issues that you had with Artie, you know.
Oh, I know.. but too much of anything is not good.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent. I've cut my little addict's consumption way down, but not that far...yet. I have to sneak it in on her. And while cats probably can't count, she definitely knows the difference between "one" and "more than one."

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Geoffrey is finding his cat legs. Just be sure to duck if you find you're in the zoomie path. Sweet Gum won't eat wet food, period. We offered everything and it was bury bury bury. You could always try again in a couple of months. In the meantime, your boy is playing like no one ever thought he would!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we did. I forgot to post on here. We had a nice day together: cuddling, brushing, playing, talking to each other.

Geoffrey got a new wand toy. He had one, a year ago, demolishing it in short time. This time, I have less room for him to run around in. He likes it, but not wild. Kind of settling down.

We have to have our daily cuddle time on top of the bed. We play as soon as I get up, before breakfast.

I try to play late afternoon, depending on how we both feel.

He loves his dry food, tolerates the wet during the day.

Geoffrey has to cuddle with me when I go to sleep. When I lie down on the sofa, Geoffrey will eventually lie down by my feet.

Not a lap cat. Probably never will be. I still cannot touch his paws; he goes crazy—-panicking. I still think something happened to him. I have to take him to the Vet Techs for nail trims. The old people in her, just love to see him, in his carrier..

When a worker or a visitor rings my doorbell or knocks on the door, Geoffrey will run under my bed. Or under the quilt.

He is tolerating the workers and the work. He stays under my quilt, hiding. I had to tell the workmen that the “lump” is a cat, so be careful. They laugh.

When I return from being out, at night, Geoffrey greets me at the door. Sometimes, he gets adventurous—-wanting to walk out the door. He did that once, getting only 2 feet away, running right back in.

He is still on Prozac. I am going to see if we can decrease or eliminate it.

G does not have any more diarrhea. It is hard stool. Sigh—-shads of Artie. I am giving him some miralax. I swear, I do not know what NORMAL cat poop looks like.

He is a really good boy. Gentle. He grooms my face.

I love my little boy. And I think he loves me, also.

084E03B5-AF4B-4BE9-A8B5-315B78B625EF.jpeg
782844F7-0165-4D56-B2EE-3CC02C9285FF.jpeg
F4D8F6A8-E79C-4267-B2A7-DF9E8F5055AA.jpeg
115D2EB4-EA6F-4C0D-97E5-34197A3B78F6.jpeg
F8A1470F-9E82-48FE-AB19-661936C3C40A.jpeg
ADD38574-E39E-4D31-8678-DCC8A58791AA.jpeg

Geoffrey will be needing a dental. He has two very bad upper back molars. One on each side. I can see them when he yawns. Both are grey. Poor guy. He is seeing the regular Vet next week for his yearly. He is only about 4 years old. Poor thing.

Anyway, we have been through so much, this past year. He has thrived in this new apartment. Geoffrey loves potato chips and chocolate, especially the wrappers of both.

Thanks for asking. ❤❤❤

Last edited by a moderator: