Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just checking,

I've been feeding strays around my area for a number of years, together with other cat lovers. Spending time playing with them but never ever adopting them or fostering them. These cats are not totally ferals though some are skittish around humans.

The only stray kitten I ever saved and brought home for good is January [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Do I qualify? Hehe
One of the really important things about looking after strays and ferals is determining whether they've been spayed or neutered.  If we simply feed them we are just perpetuating the problem as they will be just healthy enough to keep breeding, but because they are at the whims of their hormones they are either constantly (and I mean constantly) giving birth or they're a tom, brawling and getting badly injured in the process.  And then there are all those kittens.

So if you know that the cats you are looking after have been spayed or neutered, then that certainly makes you a friend of ferals, @TabbyTom

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've been on and off feeding strays around my area as there are also other cat lovers feeding them. And I do spend time playing with them.

But have not brought any
One of the really important things about looking after strays and ferals is determining whether they've been spayed or neutered.  If we simply feed them we are just perpetuating the problem as they will be just healthy enough to keep breeding, but because they are at the whims of their hormones they are either constantly (and I mean constantly) giving birth or they're a tom, brawling and getting badly injured in the process.  And then there are all those kittens.
So if you know that the cats you are looking after have been spayed or neutered, then that certainly makes you a friend of ferals, @TabbyTom
:)
Oh, of course they are spayed or neutered. So far, I've yet to see any not spayed or not neutered ones around. So far, there's no pregnant females around.

I know that spaying and neutering is important and the community here is watching and so far, everything is under control.
It's ok, just asking. :D

Have a nice day.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been on and off feeding strays around my area as there are also other cat lovers feeding them. And I do spend time playing with them.

But have not brought any
Oh, of course they are spayed or neutered. So far, I've yet to see any not spayed or not neutered ones around. So far, there's no pregnant females around.

I know that spaying and neutering is important and the community here is watching and so far, everything is under control.
It's ok, just asking.

Have a nice day.
 Well done, and badge awarded.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
 Well done, and badge awarded. :)
Oh, thank you :D

There were 2 cats, both fixed, went missing recently. They usually hang out at their regular place, the tom came later like 5-6 years later than the female. We suspected that they were poisoned.
A cleaner found them one morning. A police report has been made.

louisevn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found and homed about 60 kittens over the last 5 years. Our neighboring supermarket attracts rats and feral cats. The mothers then have their babies in our garden, and I catch them at 4 or 5 weeks  and find homes for them (some of them find their forever home with us! - currently have 5, but feeding three more on our veranda, who are tame enough now to be homed.

I make sure they all are spayed and neutered and vaccinated, and our local SPCA and vets helps me with doing that.

Cats are hugely social animals for all their reported aloofness (I think it is just dignity!), and all deserve a forever home. It is us humans who cause the problem by leaving them behind when we move or not neutering and spaying them. Thanks to all who do what they can - even one cat rescued is worthwhile!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I have found and homed about 60 kittens over the last 5 years. Our neighboring supermarket attracts rats and feral cats. The mothers then have their babies in our garden, and I catch them at 4 or 5 weeks  and find homes for them (some of them find their forever home with us! - currently have 5, but feeding three more on our veranda, who are tame enough now to be homed.

I make sure they all are spayed and neutered and vaccinated, and our local SPCA and vets helps me with doing that.

Cats are hugely social animals for all their reported aloofness (I think it is just dignity!), and all deserve a forever home. It is us humans who cause the problem by leaving them behind when we move or not neutering and spaying them. Thanks to all who do what they can - even one cat rescued is worthwhile!
Definitely a Friend of Ferals @LouiseVN, and welcome to TCS!

louisevn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like my badge - it sounds way better than "crazy cat lady" !

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think i may apply, though i have only been doing this loosely for a year and a half.
I started by rescuing a 5 week old kitten from my backyard, a daughter of a feral mama. She was very ill for a long while and would have soon died. She is now a healthy, happy, spayed, 1 1\2 year old house cat.
I had left a message at my local SPCA for info about TNRing her mother, but never got a reply. I was very busy with caring for her kitten for a few months, but i still regret not pushing further as the mama died in the following spring.
Her 4 year old brother (who was part of a litter of feral kittens when i moved in 4 years ago) started hanging around my yard alone last summer so it all just started with me feeding him whenever i saw him. Then i got him Revolution. The i spoke to someone at the SPCA and after a month of trials and errors, i finally trapped him and he was neutered, clipped, and vaccinated. Unfortunately he tested positive for FIV and that's when i decided to try and keep him inside at some point. For now, he has a winter shelter, plenty of good food and water, and treatments for internal and external parasites\infection\persistent diarrhea. He comes in twice a day, while my cat is locked in my bedroom. I am having a screen door installed in my kitchen so i can keep him longer and to finish the introductions with my cat.
I have given two neighbors large foam coolers with straw as shetlers for one other feral that popped in this spring. He never comes to my yard and only lets one person approach him, but i try to convince this person to have him TNRed. I tell anyone about TNR as i was barely aware of this option myself not long ago.
So that's about it. It took me a while to get involved but i fully am now.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've TNR'd so many cats on my street. And paid for countless more. Though I live in one of the poorest cities in America we have not a single cat shelter. Cats are everywhere and nobody gives a fig about getting them fixed.

Most recent was an all-black cat who had 7 all-black kittens, all of whom were male. One disappeared, 2 were able to be in the shelter system, & the remaining four brothers are TNR and fed and happy living in the TNR colony on my street where they were born. No clue what happened to momma cat.

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I think i may apply, though i have only been doing this loosely for a year and a half.
I started by rescuing a 5 week old kitten from my backyard, a daughter of a feral mama. She was very ill for a long while and would have soon died. She is now a healthy, happy, spayed, 1 1\2 year old house cat.
I had left a message at my local SPCA for info about TNRing her mother, but never got a reply. I was very busy with caring for her kitten for a few months, but i still regret not pushing further as the mama died in the following spring.
Her 4 year old brother (who was part of a litter of feral kittens when i moved in 4 years ago) started hanging around my yard alone last summer so it all just started with me feeding him whenever i saw him. Then i got him Revolution. The i spoke to someone at the SPCA and after a month of trials and errors, i finally trapped him and he was neutered, clipped, and vaccinated. Unfortunately he tested positive for FIV and that's when i decided to try and keep him inside at some point. For now, he has a winter shelter, plenty of good food and water, and treatments for internal and external parasites\infection\persistent diarrhea. He comes in twice a day, while my cat is locked in my bedroom. I am having a screen door installed in my kitchen so i can keep him longer and to finish the introductions with my cat.
I have given two neighbors large foam coolers with straw as shetlers for one other feral that popped in this spring. He never comes to my yard and only lets one person approach him, but i try to convince this person to have him TNRed. I tell anyone about TNR as i was barely aware of this option myself not long ago.
So that's about it. It took me a while to get involved but i fully am now.
Sounds like you're definitely  Friends of Ferals, @Pixies Ma and @Primula !!

Badges awarded.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you are doing a great job Primula, and with little help to boot.
Most of the renters on my street are government-subsidized or drug addicts or dealers. I.e., not the kind of folk who are particularly interested in helping our friends who cannot speak for themselves. So many of them get cute kittens & puppies (usually too young to leave mom) and they tire of them very quickly. Animal Control euthanizes unclaimed dogs after 9 days. Kittens are dumped on the street to fend for themselves. I have tried to do my bit as much as I can, but I have to confine it to my street only.

Last edited:

pixies ma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You must be very strong cause i would go nuts seeing all this going on. Irresponsible and selfish people anger me.
Ever wonder how many lives you saved and prevented? I bow to you :)

vallhalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok! I want to apply!

We have 4 feral cats that were part of a feral colony in my neighborhood.

Yes,there were more,but due to MY lack of knowledge of trapping/saving these cats,we were unable to save them all.

Most of the rest were trapped/poisoned/killed by my caring neighbors.

Feeding,and caring for feral cats in my area is against local laws....

We have been feeding the cats for years,and have had many wonderful encounters with the police because of this.

Every cat that we could save is inside now,well fed,well taken care of,safe and happy.

We are outcasts in our own neighborhood for showing kindness to these poor cats that I am sure ended up breeding and multiplying by the heartless folks that sought to dispose of unwanted animals by turning them loose in a field near my home.

I am really sorry that I didnt know as much as I do now,or else I could have saved them all.

And you know what?

These feral cats are AWESOME!

Out of the 4 feral cats we have,2 cats you cant even go near.or ever pet them...so what?

They deserve a home too,and I love them all..so what if they arent cuddly?

We have done what we could here,and taken in ferals,as well as cats that no one at shelters wanted...our newest addition is Erik,a big boy that has only one eye,who has fitted in quite well with our motley band of cats.

Sincerely,a crazy cat person.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
@Valhalla that is wonderful, and it must be so difficult when you have such opposition. 

When people apply for this badge we always check whether the care includes spaying and neutering.  If we're not doing that we are perpetuating the problem as more an more cats are born into a life of hardship and it becomes an impossible task.
It sounds to me like you're doing it right, Valhalla, but we always need to mention it.

vallhalla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All the cats are spayed/neutered in this house!

As soon as they come in,they get spayed/neutered.

I have to tell this story....my wife got one of our feral cats right off of our deck before his eyes were even open..!

He was that young!

Had to wait before we could neuter him,of course and boy was he hard to catch! LOL

Poor little guy was abandoned by his mommy....but..I like to think that his mommy knew we would care for her kitten.