Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed the few ferals who are in my area.  I TNR'ed the ones I could catch.  One of them I took in two times, as the first vet I used did not clip her ear!  I adopted one of the ferals who is now a sweet, loving indoor only kitty named Seal.  Here is that story.  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311415/making-a-feral-into-a-housecat

And here he is.  He is a nuzzling, purring blessing of a cat and I love him very much!  

I have a heated water bowl and a heated four cat house for ferals,  This summer I only saw one feral cat and only once.  I think most of the cat food is being eaten by an o'possum  Maybe the cats will come back in the winter.  I really miss Molly, Seal's mom.  She never lets me anywhere near, but I enjoy seeing her around the yard.  She's the one I took in two times to be neutered.  I think she is disgusted with me!  Stupid human!  

I have helped others get their feral cats neutered, driving several hours in a day to get the cats to the clinic and then back home.  There is a neuter and spay clinic about 30 miles from my home that will take a feral cat without an appointment on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday morning.  It makes it very convenient and I like them.  They are Central Spay Neuter & Wellness Clinic in Kernersville, NC.  The prices are very reasonable.

I volunteer at an animal rescue.  We help ferals mainly by donating food to those who are feeding them.  Many with feral colonies have difficulty affording cat food after they retire.   

I have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars helping ferals.  I love animals, but cats have a special place in my heart and I love spending time making their lives better.  I really love the feral mamas I have seen.  But I hate that they are locked into a continuous cycle of kittens.  Their lives are made so much better by spaying and I love being a part of this new freedom for them.  Tom cats are locked into a cycle of fights and injuries.  It is great to help them break that cycle, too.

If I deserve it, I would be so proud to display the "Friend of Ferals" badge.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You absolutely deserve it, @Boris Diamond     Very fine 'friend of ferals' credentials.

And what a darling Seal is. I remember reading all about him when he arrived.  I think he might have had a name-change? How wonderful that he's settled in so beautifully.

Badge awarded.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
@Mani - Good memory! Seal started out as Sammy. An eighty-nine year old lady I know suggested that name, and since she does not get much say in things, I decided to use it. But the name grew to Sammy the seal. Maybe the old Disney piece,"Sammy the Way-Out Seal" had something to do with it. Plus he reminds me a little of a seal. I decided I like the name Seal, but he gets called Sammy, Seal and Seal cat. I suspect it has been confusing for him! :confuse3:

snowpawprint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i don't know if this counts but anyway:

my old cat r.i.p was a stray/feral and ran from house to house until she got trapped in a garage of my relations. she didn't seem to used to humans and was wary of us at first,but she was painfully thin and hungry. we fed her and she seemed a little less worried. eventually she became our 'pet' though i don't think we ever really owned her...she was her own cat.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @snowpawprint
  One of the really defining thing about being a friend of ferals is getting them spayed/neutered.  Otherwise they live a life of producing more kittens, producing way more ferals, and it's certainly no fun for them.  I'm hoping you were able to do that for your girl?

snowpawprint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes @Mani i did in fact. she was still a kitten when we did so, so i don't suppose she had any litters of kittens. i always thought it's good that we caught her early on ,so she wouldn't be put through any suffering.

marupon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescue feral kittens who risk being shot, tame them, get them neutered and and vaccinated then rehome them!
(Although I have kept two for myself now haha!)

marupon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My lovely once feral boy Little man :)
When I had him he'd been abandoned by his mother, on the verge of death and had a fractured paw.

He's my baby :)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

yes @Mani i did in fact. she was still a kitten when we did so, so i don't suppose she had any litters of kittens. i always thought it's good that we caught her early on ,so she wouldn't be put through any suffering.
  She was lucky to have found you!

Badge awarded

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
My lovely once feral boy Little man

When I had him he'd been abandoned by his mother, on the verge of death and had a fractured paw.

He's my baby
He looks very, very contented.

Thank you for looking after the kitties, and badge awarded.

snowpawprint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the badge, I will wear with pride and hopefully I will help more and more cats to come

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Little Man looks a lot like my Little Boy. He was dumped outside my house when he was a kitten. Local people know I have a soft spot for cats, so quite a few kittens have suddenly appeared on my doorstep that way.

littlepaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do I qualify? I don't work with outreach programs, but I've provided a 'furever' 100% indoor home for 7 previously feral cats over the years. And two weeks ago, I took in an injured mama cat and her three kits for fostering... but it looks like I will end up keeping them 'furever,' too. My basic MO is to spay/neuter right away so that no cats have reproduced while in my care.

I like this thread. After a hard day, it's nice to read about so many people who care about these animals.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Do I qualify? I don't work with outreach programs, but I've provided a 'furever' 100% indoor home for 7 previously feral cats over the years. And two weeks ago, I took in an injured mama cat and her three kits for fostering... but it looks like I will end up keeping them 'furever,' too. My basic MO is to spay/neuter right away so that no cats have reproduced while in my care.

I like this thread. After a hard day, it's nice to read about so many people who care about these animals.
  You tick all the boxes, @littlepaw

Thank you for all you do.

suadeblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always helped, cared for and fed feral and stray cats. I normally will take them in if I am able to. We recently moved into a new house in the country on 15 acres with a large shop/barn. A woman in the home next to ours left her home, and she abandoned 3 female cats and 1 male cat. They were all starving when we moved in, and they all started coming up to the house. Of course, I was NOT about to let them starve to death. I had 6 strictly indoor cats of my own.

One of the females already had a litter of young kittens. A week later, 2 starved and sick kittens showed up on the wrap-around deck from another starving female momma cat. I immediately brung them inside, and isolated them from my other cats in a bathroom. I took them to the vet where they both received an exam, dewormer, antibiotics and eye ointments for their eye infections. *They are still with me today.

*Benson, a Ginger Tabby male, is partially blind due to a serious eye infection. One eye is a hazy white/blue due to his blindness, and he may eventually become blind in the other eye as it constantly waters. He has to look sideways at you to focus and see you. He's such a sweetheart.

*Callie, a Grey Tabby female, is Benson's sister. She is the "Picture-Perfect" kitty that could be a Cover-Girl kitten/cat. She took care of his little brother, and always snuggle to him. Today, Benson is bigger and stouter than she is. :)

Needless to say, I am caring for 10 strays outside that I have built shelters for on my Wrap-Around front deck as it faces the South and partial East that is away from the North and West Winter winds. In the summer, they come around to the West deck where they can cool off under the deck away from the South summer sun.

I have nursed/bottle fed kittens and adopted them to loving homes. I am working on having them all Neutered/Spayed and Released. I hope to gain control of the colony. I've had my fair share of kittens pass away, and it tears my heart to pieces.

I've learned a great deal over the years about Cats. I hope to educate other people with the care of cats. Along with immunizations, diseases, parasites, digestive issues and behavioral problems and general overall normal behavior of Cats. [emoji]9829[/emoji]

Terri

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My lovely once feral boy Little man

He's my baby
He is gorgeous!!  He also bears a strong resemblance to @Norachan  's Little Boy. How awesome that they have almost the same name. They are both so handsome!!  

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I've always helped, cared for and fed feral and stray cats. I normally will take them in if I am able to. We recently moved into a new house in the country on 15 acres with a large shop/barn. A woman in the home next to ours left her home, and she abandoned 3 female cats and 1 male cat. They were all starving when we moved in, and they all started coming up to the house. Of course, I was NOT about to let them starve to death. I had 6 strictly indoor cats of my own.

One of the females already had a litter of young kittens. A week later, 2 starved and sick kittens showed up on the wrap-around deck from another starving female momma cat. I immediately brung them inside, and isolated them from my other cats in a bathroom. I took them to the vet where they both received an exam, dewormer, antibiotics and eye ointments for their eye infections. *They are still with me today.

*Benson, a Ginger Tabby male, is partially blind due to a serious eye infection. One eye is a hazy white/blue due to his blindness, and he may eventually become blind in the other eye as it constantly waters. He has to look sideways at you to focus and see you. He's such a sweetheart.

*Callie, a Grey Tabby female, is Benson's sister. She is the "Picture-Perfect" kitty that could be a Cover-Girl kitten/cat. She took care of his little brother, and always snuggle to him. Today, Benson is bigger and stouter than she is. :)

Needless to say, I am caring for 10 strays outside that I have built shelters for on my Wrap-Around front deck as it faces the South and partial East that is away from the North and West Winter winds. In the summer, they come around to the West deck where they can cool off under the deck away from the South summer sun.

I have nursed/bottle fed kittens and adopted them to loving homes. I am working on having them all Neutered/Spayed and Released. I hope to gain control of the colony. I've had my fair share of kittens pass away, and it tears my heart to pieces.

I've learned a great deal over the years about Cats. I hope to educate other people with the care of cats. Along with immunizations, diseases, parasites, digestive issues and behavioral problems and general overall normal behavior of Cats. [emoji]9829[/emoji]

Terri
 You obviously really care about ferals @SuadeBlue.  I hope you manage to TNR your whole colony.

kittylove14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I rescued feral momma and her kittens. Like many have found, there is very little interest in adopting them so all 6 are being spayed/neutered and socialized by me and my family. My friend is caretaker of the population by her home and I named momma after her. It is a labor of love.:blackcat::silver:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I rescued feral momma and her kittens. Like many have found, there is very little interest in adopting them so all 6 are being spayed/neutered and socialized by me and my family. My friend is caretaker of the population by her home and I named momma after her. It is a labor of love.
  It is indeed, Kittylove14.  Well done.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just checking,

I've been feeding strays around my area for a number of years, together with other cat lovers. Spending time playing with them but never ever adopting them or fostering them. These cats are not totally ferals though some are skittish around humans.

The only stray kitten I ever saved and brought home for good is January [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Do I qualify? Hehe