Found very young kitten - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten weighs how much? 19 grams is impossible. Did you zero out the scale? Try this again please and post the weight again.

catminionjess catminionjess

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I mistook the g below the digits as a decimal point. Tried again and it's 202, but it's hard to get an accurate number because he's so wiggly. I did weigh a 3 oz can of my senior cats' food and it was 96 something which is 85 for the food plus the can so the scale is probably accurate aside from the wiggling kitty.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whew! That’s more like it! :)

So if he is eating around 60mLs each 24 hours that is right on target until he grows and needs more.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But it's not pooping. And just now climbed out of the box. I have to find a taller one.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be able to buy glycerin depositories until after work tomorrow. I'm just going to call the vet when they open tomorrow like I was going to and see what they think I should do for it.

stitch&luna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if you've already got a heating pad or what not, but i highly recommend the snuggle safe pet bed heating pad!!
I used it a couple years ago with kittens i found and it worked great!!

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@stich&Luna - I saw that one on Amazon. But the microwavable bean or rice bag that I have freaked the kitten out when I tried it at the lowest temperature so I think it would do the same.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten HAS to poop! It is getting to the point where it is really scary! Review the Kitten Lady's video on how to make them go, make sure the wash cloth is wet and warm, and maybe rub circles for a little longer, the kitten may need more stimulation now that it is so full! Glycerin or a vet visit is needed right away......
No, those electric beds are readily accepted and even fought over by ALL my cats. The heat is from underneath and is greatly needed by a young kitten. They only use about as much electricity as a 40 watt regular light bulb a day, so are very economical, and safe. I have 4 of them going right now and have had them for years. Just make sure they have some kind of cover on them.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob - Please read my response #34 about what the vet said about the heated bed. I'm concerned too and as I've stated several times, I'm calling the vet again when they open this morning. I've also watched the Kitten Lady's video the day after I got the kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your vet treat very young kittens? Normal house temp. is 70-75 degrees, kittens cannot regulate their body temperature and need 85 degrees (around 30 celcius) for up to two weeks, then from two to three weeks need around 80. unless it is summertime where you are at and you have no airconditioning, normal house temp. is not enough for them to thrive.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, normally only 6 weeks and up. I live in Texas, it's hot most of the year. My house has been at 78. Kitten has several blankets in it's box.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would the poop at this age look like a little brown pellet? I found some of those in the blankets when I fluffed them around this morning. It kinda looks like dirty old pine litter pellets my senior cats used to use so I wasn't sure.

Attachments

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep it can be solid like that. It also looks like poop!

Kitten poop can be liquidy or solid like that at this age. It just depends on the formula you use.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I booked an appointment for 4:20 pm today to get the poop situation checked out. Do you think I should keep the appointment or cancel it since it has pooped? I'm using the GNC Pet kitten milk replacer. That's the only brand they had at PetSmart Tuesday night. The shelf was pretty wiped out.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I booked an appointment for 4:20 pm today to get the poop situation checked out. Do you think I should keep the appointment or cancel it since it has pooped? I'm using the GNC Pet kitten milk replacer. That's the only brand they had at PetSmart Tuesday night. The shelf was pretty wiped out.

I think you need to keep the appointment if you can because the kitten needs to be looked at by a vet to make sure everything is going smoothly for him.

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like Jeffered said you should definitely get the little one seen by the vet just to make sure that nothing is wrong with the little one.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got it to the vet. Kitten was really constipated so the vet tech had to probe the bottom. Finally it pooped and it was brownish/yellow and soft. The vet checked it over and said it looked good. He thinks it's a girl from from the distance of it's stuff and there appears to be a slit like a girl. I need to feed her again soon and was thinking of adding pureed pumpkin to the milk. I'm not sure how much to add though. I have been adding drops of olive oil since Saturday. Yes, I do have pics and videos.
20191026_145829.jpg 20191024_202150.jpg

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the Soulistic pureed pumpkin (in the pouch) for cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.