Found very young kitten - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried the microwavable bean bag thing again that she didn't like the first time. But I put it under more layers of the bottom blanket and she wasn't as fussy about it. The self heating pad I bought was a little to big to fit in the box so I put it underneath it instead for now.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You have got to get that little guy to excrete his waste. How is that going?

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't get any of the suppositories slivers to stay in. They pop out almost immediately. What is the trick to make them stay in?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should not be too big. Then just push it all the way in and hold it there for a minute to ensure it is “inside.” Make sure the tip is pointed.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get my PM? You have to keep the kitten warm enough in order for it to have it's digestion system working properly. What does the vet say about suppositories?

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did and I replied. The vet doesn't seem to care until they're at least 6 weeks old. They didn't give me any instructions besides running it under the faucet. But that didn't work for the tech without probing her bottom.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I did and I replied. The vet doesn't seem to care until they're at least 6 weeks old. They didn't give me any instructions besides running it under the faucet. But that didn't work for the tech without probing her bottom.
Thank you.
Please keep the vet updated on what you are doing with the little guy, kittens can go down very quickly when constipated. And please, if you are able, keep him warm. I can't stress that enough.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you gotten a suppository to work yet? Are you still using oil in the milk?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, don't know why this comment did not go through, but here it is again.

This is what my friend also said:

"It also could mean she is not mixing the formula thin enough. If the kitten isn't getting enough liquids it will be constipated."

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been very stressed out and frustrated about her situation and haven't had a chance to updated. I got a can of the pre-mixed liquid KMR yesterday morning to see if that would be better for her than the powder formula. It didn't bring on any poop that day, so I was still really worried so I got tiny kitten back to the vet this morning. They decided to keep her for a few hours to do an enema and observe her. She had several small firm stools that they got flushed out. They sent me and kitten home with pre-filled lactulose syringes to give every 12 hours by mouth. They want to follow up in a week. The vet suggested maybe switching to a different kmr formula and introducing a little wet kitten food (even though she's only 2-3 weeks old). She seemed really playful after all that when I got her over to my parents' to watch for the rest of the afternoon. I guess we'll see how these changes go. If they don't work, she may need x-rays to see what the problem is.

Also, last night my senior girl actually sat on the back of the couch while tiny kitten was in my lap/next to me and didn't hiss at her. My senior boy is still afraid of his own shadow so he was curled up somewhere else far away from the tiny fluff ball.

20191104_140224[1].jpg 20191104_000341[1].jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been very stressed out and frustrated about her situation and haven't had a chance to updated. I got a can of the pre-mixed liquid KMR yesterday morning to see if that would be better for her than the powder formula. It didn't bring on any poop that day, so I was still really worried so I got tiny kitten back to the vet this morning. They decided to keep her for a few hours to do an enema and observe her. She had several small firm stools that they got flushed out. They sent me and kitten home with pre-filled lactulose syringes to give every 12 hours by mouth. They want to follow up in a week. The vet suggested maybe switching to a different kmr formula and introducing a little wet kitten food (even though she's only 2-3 weeks old). She seemed really playful after all that when I got her over to my parents' to watch for the rest of the afternoon. I guess we'll see how these changes go. If they don't work, she may need x-rays to see what the problem is.

Also, last night my senior girl actually sat on the back of the couch while tiny kitten was in my lap/next to me and didn't hiss at her. My senior boy is still afraid of his own shadow so he was curled up somewhere else far away from the tiny fluff ball.

View attachment 306459View attachment 306460

Thank you for the update. Introducing a little wet food at her age is not unusual, and if it helps- all the better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would NOT recommend kitten food until she is 5-6 weeks old, but do switch to full fat goat milk and do not dilute it.

It does not sound like she has an internal issue though. Perhaps her system will respond better to the goat milk.

Thanks for the update! We were getting worried!

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think she meant a whole meal of kitten food, just a small amount and still feed the kmr as usual.
I would NOT recommend kitten food until she is 5-6 weeks old, but do switch to full fat goat milk and do not dilute it.

It does not sound like she has an internal issue though. Perhaps her system will respond better to the goat milk.

Thanks for the update! We were getting worried!

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little kitten would go days without pooping until he started eating regular food. It seemed to help to massage is tummy before I stimulated his bum to poop. I would put him on his back in my lap and gently apply a bit of pressure with my thumb across his tummy starting below his ribs and run it down towards his tail and repeat. I was actually able to feel where his intestine was full. Have a warm wet rag on hand to stimulate her right after. My little guy seemed to really enjoy this, and it seemed to calm him down. I think he was afraid to poop because it hurt to go when he had been constipated, so i would be very careful to keep him relaxed when doing all of this.
If you try this i would start by petting her and her tummy gently at first and gradually increase the pressure so she doesn't tense up her stomach muscles.
**Pay attention to her reaction and stop or reduce pressure if she squirms away or it seems like it hurts. If even light touches hurt her tummy then its time to worry and bring her to the vet asap.
Another thing to consider is that they can't digest cold milk, make sure it is warm, but has not boiled, the proteins break down when it boils and kittens can't digest it.
As for the heat issue i just used an old soda bottle with hotish water and side flattened for him to lay on and wrapped in a fuzzy blanket.

Mollkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that you could look into probiotics too. Im not sure if anyone else mentioned that

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive me if you already mentioned this, but since he is still very young, 2-3 weeks? are you still stimulating him to pee-pee and poo with a warm cloth on his bottom? I understand that he is peeing alright, but maybe the stimulation with a warm wash cloth would help stimulate his bowels along. :)

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
M Mollkat - What probiotics do you use for a kitten this young? I give my senior cats probiotic chews and several other supplement chews, but this one can't eat solid food yet so I definitely can't use those.

mazie mazie - Yes, she's probably close to 3 weeks. I've had her for 16 days now and she was a few days old when found. And I've been stimulating to potty with a soft dampened cloth since the first night.

I was given 7 doses of lactulose to give every 12 hours. I started them yesterday morning so she's had 3 doses so far. She still hasn't formed solid poop, but she has had brown squirts since starting it. It's not where we want to be, but at least something is trying to come out. I ordered a different kitten milk replacer powder formula from Chewy because my local Petsmart only seems to have the one I bought originally. Unfortunately it won't be delivered until Friday so we will have to wait a bit longer to see if formula change helps. I also ordered more cans of the pre-mixed KMR from there. They're on sale right now for $2 something a can if anyone else is in need right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.