Found very young kitten - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I have one of those kinds of microwavable bean bags, but it never stays warm for me for more than a few minutes. Looks like I need to go buy a heating pad too then. I think I can fashion a sock into a little sweater and that might help keep the kitten warm.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That has pretty much been my method. But the kitten only sips for a few seconds, releases, cries and flops around and repeat until it's gotten at least close a tablespoon mark on the bottle.
To get baby to eat more.

Turn the bottle upside down and allow a drop of formula to come out. Place the bottle nipple in the kitten's mouth and gently move it back and forth, holding the bottle at a 45-degree angle to keep air from getting into the kitten's stomach. This movement should encourage the kitten to start eating.

View attachment 304932

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That has pretty much been my method. But the kitten only sips for a few seconds, releases, cries and flops around and repeat until it's gotten at least close a tablespoon mark on the bottle.

If you don't mind, I am taking your description to a friend of mine. She is also bottle-feeding a newborn kitten with great success.

She has taken him from this........
1571956598288.png

.....to this, in two weeks.

1571956662311.png

But she is very diligent when it comes to his feedings. Let me ask her.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She just responded back to me.

They can wrap the kitten in like a burrito and help with feeding. If they were with their mother it will probably take them time to adjust.
Dario had days like that when I first got him but he started to latch pretty quickly.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She also mentioned that this is a great source for information in feeding a newborn kitten.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't mind at all. I did find the Kitten Lady's u-tube video for pottying newborn kittens. What's with all the poor lost grey tabbies? The fur on mine feels kinda curly, especially around the neck and back. Is that normal of kittens that young or is it maybe going to be a rex mix? The tummy is pretty bare right now, but super cute tabby patterns are clearly there

This is the kitten in it's box after feeding this morning.
. 20191024_080054[1].jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind at all. I did find the Kitten Lady's u-tube video for pottying newborn kittens. What's with all the poor lost grey tabbies? The fur on mine feels kinda curly, especially around the neck and back. Is that normal of kittens that young or is it maybe going to be a rex mix? The tummy is pretty bare right now, but super cute tabby patterns are clearly there

This is the kitten in it's box after feeding this morning.
.View attachment 304944

Did you read the part about wrapping him up like a burrito to help with his feedings?

He's awfully precious.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not fully burritoed, more like tacoed kitten trying to feed it. I took it to my parents to kitten-sit the last 2 days while I'm at work. I think my mom was doing a better burrito.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not fully burritoed, more like tacoed kitten trying to feed it. I took it to my parents to kitten-sit the last 2 days while I'm at work. I think my mom was doing a better burrito.

Tacos are always good.:) Mom's are great at the burrito wrap, maybe she can show you. Please remember the heating pad, Cold Kittens Can NOT EAT. thank you for taking this abandoned baby in.

Last edited:

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom said he passed gas, but still hasn't pooped. Finished close to 3 the plus a 1/2 from this morning and I'm going to do another feeding now. Will those self heating pet pads work instead of a heating pad? I don't really have a good place to plug one in even if I had one.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom said he passed gas, but still hasn't pooped. Finished close to 3 the plus a 1/2 from this morning and I'm going to do another feeding now. Will those self heating pet pads work instead of a heating pad? I don't really have a good place to plug one in even if I had one.

Thank you for the update. :)I have no idea about self heating pet pads- what does your vet say? Is he urinating okay? You also need to schedule an appointment with your vet so kitty can get an allover assessment.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Urinating okay, but no pooping yet. I just called my vet's office and spoke with the receptionist. I asked how soon I should bring it in and she said they see kittens as young as 6 weeks, but I could bring it in if something is wrong. Their computers are down because of storms we're having so I can't make an appointment until Monday anyway. I asked about the self heating pads and she didn't know so she put me on hold to ask the vet. He said it's indoors with blankets so it should be fine. I'm going to order this cheapone from Amazon anyway and see how it goes. My senior cats might like it if it doesn't work for the kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried adding 2-3 drops of oil to the formula? It helps with pooping.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried a few drops of olive oil in the milk and diluted the powder a little. But the kitten still hasn't pooped. I'm getting worried. I'm going to call the vet again Monday morning. The eyes are slightly starting to open now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not dilute the powder. Continue with the oil. You can also buy glycerin suppositories, shave off a tiny, kitten-sized piece and insert it. It will usually bring on a bowel movement in a few minutes.

What does the kitten weigh now? How many mLs does he drink each 24 hours?

catminionjess catminionjess

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some other things I read said to dilute the powder. I didn't dilute it a lot. I just made the scoop slightly under instead of capping it off as usual, if that makes sense. It's drinking close to the full bottle a day, which is 4 tbs (60 ml). I just got the scale I ordered and was going to weigh it later today.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Feeding is by weight, so please post the weight as soon as you have it so we can see if he’s drinking enough.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten weighs 19 g. The lowest suggested amount on the powder can is for 3 oz (85 g) per day is 1 the (15 g) powder to 2 tbs (30 g) water. The bottle holds 4 tbs and the kitten has been drinking about that much each day. Lots of peeing, but no pooping since Tuesday night and it's now Sunday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.