Found A Kitten And Cannot Decide What To Do

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be up to you whether you keep him or not, your Cats also have a say and if they vote "no" and show no inclination that they are willing to change their minds then there isn't much you can do about it. Before you do anything else or get too attached, you should take him to your vet to get him tested, vaccinated, and checked out.

Give him a day or so to recover from that then do a slow introduction with your Cats one at a time to see how they react to him, if they're fine then you can think about keeping him but before that you may just be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have 7 cats! I never picked any of them. They all picked me. I believe that when you rescue a cat it bonds to you and is grateful in a very special way. I can never let them go!

Give the little guy as much wet food as he wants. He needs frequent meals and the dry kitten chow available 24/7. You can offer a dish of kitten milk (powdered is best) 2-3 times a day. My kittens loved kitten chow soaked in KMR like a bowl of cereal almost. Fancy Feast makes wet kitten food that is excellent. Your little guy should start packing on the weight soon. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! So just as an update, he is starting to eat the wet food with a little more enthusiasm ever since dinner time last night. Maybe being comfortable with his new home is helping. I am planning to take him to the vet this evening to get checked up, dewormed, etc. :)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I found Dexter as well. We had no intent on getting a third cat, especially since we are more than likely going to be moving and selling our house within a year and most apartments don't allow more than 2 pets. Heck, I still don't know what we are going to do (Evie and Emerson look so much alike that, unless they are spotted together, no one will know they're different cats...ahh), but he has been such a joy! This little noodle chose you. I think you should keep him. :purr:

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are keeping him! :)

The big decision came last night as we were scheduled to drop him off at the humane society after work. I could not find a foster home or close friend to adopt him and I knew we needed to make a decision. But once we got home from work and spent some time with him before loading into the car, we decided to take him to the vet for an exam instead. My girlfriend was in tears and did not want him to miss us. So I made an executive decision that we will make it work as long as the other cats adjust to him and get along well!

The vet check up went SO great! He is healthy as can be and the vet said he was shocked how clean his eyes and ears are. 1.9 pounds is his weight. WOAH! His blood tests came back negative, he was given Revolution for possible small ear mites situation, and he was given his first distemper vaccine! The vet checked him over for fleas and seems to be flea free. We are keeping him isolated during the day while we slowly introduce him to the other cats in the house. In about a week I am supposed to bring in a stool sample to see if the Revolution has done its job or if we will have to give him an actual dewormer as well. The vet seemed so happy and content holding him last night. I am sure he does not see young kittens as frequently.

He is doing a better job of eating the canned food as long as I add a small amount of water and mix it in to make a slop texture. He eats the dry food okay but we still need to pick up a smaller kibble like the royal canin babycat kind.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you're keeping him! My only comment is that, given Harry is in fact a "he," he really should be eating a good bit of wet food. Male cats who eat dry food are prone to urinary blockages which are life threatening, terribly painful and also quite costly to treat. I get nervous when folks talk about feeding their male cats dry food for that simple reason. The other thing I would mention is that Revolution doesn't treat for tapeworms. But if you're going to be taking in a stool sample next week, your vet will be able to confirm if he needs any further treatment. Thanks for keeping the little guy!

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you're keeping him! My only comment is that, given Harry is in fact a "he," he really should be eating a good bit of wet food. Male cats who eat dry food are prone to urinary blockages which are life threatening, terribly painful and also quite costly to treat. I get nervous when folks talk about feeding their male cats dry food for that simple reason. The other thing I would mention is that Revolution doesn't treat for tapeworms. But if you're going to be taking in a stool sample next week, your vet will be able to confirm if he needs any further treatment. Thanks for keeping the little guy!
I feed exclusively wet food to my other cats he just needs something during the day while we are at work, etc. so I allow him to endulge in some dry food but it is only the highest quality stuff. I have my fair share of education on feline nutrition these days :)

He will be SPOILED beyond belief!

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are keeping him! :)

The big decision came last night as we were scheduled to drop him off at the humane society after work. I could not find a foster home or close friend to adopt him and I knew we needed to make a decision. But once we got home from work and spent some time with him before loading into the car, we decided to take him to the vet for an exam instead. My girlfriend was in tears and did not want him to miss us. So I made an executive decision that we will make it work as long as the other cats adjust to him and get along well!

The vet check up went SO great! He is healthy as can be and the vet said he was shocked how clean his eyes and ears are. 1.9 pounds is his weight. WOAH! His blood tests came back negative, he was given Revolution for possible small ear mites situation, and he was given his first distemper vaccine! The vet checked him over for fleas and seems to be flea free. We are keeping him isolated during the day while we slowly introduce him to the other cats in the house. In about a week I am supposed to bring in a stool sample to see if the Revolution has done its job or if we will have to give him an actual dewormer as well. The vet seemed so happy and content holding him last night. I am sure he does not see young kittens as frequently.

He is doing a better job of eating the canned food as long as I add a small amount of water and mix it in to make a slop texture. He eats the dry food okay but we still need to pick up a smaller kibble like the royal canin babycat kind.
The other cats will adjust. I've added kittens to my household of adult male cats and they act put out for a while and treat the kitten like it's infected with the plague or something and go to great lengths to avoid it but they all eventually come around.