Found A Kitten And Cannot Decide What To Do

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend and I found a kitten on the side of the road and the loving part of us has become attached rather quickly. He is maybe 6-7 weeks old and very tiny. You can tell he needs to put on weight but otherwise he seems generally healthy, alert and playful! He has a loving, cuddly and affectionate personality and warmed up to us within minutes of being in our home. I am experienced with young kittens and have a great vet so I know I have the resources in place to care for him. The problem for me might be time.

He is very young and I already have 4 fully grown, young adult cats in the household. They are all males and would potentially get along great. I have all the resources he would need including cat water fountains, toys, food, cat trees and space to play and run around. Since he is so young and so little and because we want to make sure he feels comfortable in his environment whether temporary or permanent, we have isolated him on our decent sized bedroom with his own litter box, toys, water dish and food. He slept with us all through the night and was curled up on my shoulder sleeping for most of it! He also purrs like a little motor boat constantly. He is already starting to follow me around and beg for attention when I walk away from him even though we have had him for 8 hours! :)

He is ADORABLE. Like a dream kitten. The last thing we want to do is take him to the humane society where he will likely be isolated with less social interaction and stuck in a smaller kennel/cage. We are unsure if we can handle 5 cats but we are ready to try if we have to. We are very loving individuals and have learned a lot about cats over the years. How do we ensure we are making the right decision? And are there resources out there to find a home for him if we need to? Are there resources out there to make keeping him obtainable? We want to weigh all of our options. He is such a sweet kitten the last thing I want to do is expose him to unnecessary stress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that it's not really the number of cats you have but it's the vet bills they all cost you collectively. I've had 5 cats at once before and it wasn't that much more work for me, it's just the constant fear that one might get sick and when they often do, it's a lot of money to cough up.

My point is, veterinary care is kind of the make or break point for me when I'm trying to decide if I want another cat or not. Maybe it is for you too? I don't know.

Wishing you all the very best! Thank you for helping Harry out. Bless your souls. :heartshape:

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find that it's not really the number of cats you have but it's the vet bills they all cost you collectively.
That and food! If you want to feed your cats anything semi-decent it will cost you a miniature fortune. It's truly one of the reasons why I haven't picked up one or two of those sad little kittens in the shelters...I know that I can't afford to feed more than two cats unless I cut back on food quality.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to find a home for him and not keep yourself, always start with family and close friends. Someone you know will take care of him well and you will continue to be somewhat in his life. :-)

Personally I then move onto the neighborhood for a potential home before going to an adoption group or shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I certainly have a lot to think about but my heart wants to keep him!

Since he is so small what are folks’ recommendation for feeding him?! Dry kibble seems rather large and he eats wet food very slowly and in small amounts. I want him gaining weight!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My $.02---keep the little guy!!! :yess:
Haha I love him and I am dying at work thinking about handing him off to anyone else because I know I care for my cats and I trust myself! :) in today's world, not everyone else has the same intentions or capacity to love their animals (unfortunately)!

We are leaning towards keeping him because.....at this point if 4 isn't too many then how the hell is 5 too many LOL

But in all seriousness Harry seems like a very loyal kitty and it appears he is already forming a bond with us before we can decide to let him go!

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Supplement with Pedialyte and kitten milk replacer, and there's kitten glop too.

here are a couple of recipes for homemade;
Kitten-Rescue.com
I will try those things! He seems so young, he might be 6 weeks at most given his size, maybe older if he is just behind in growth....but his frame is very skinny and he fits in the palm of my hand with ease.

So would I feed him KMR in lou of actual kitten food or try to mix and match?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So would I feed him KMR in lou of actual kitten food or try to mix and match?
In addition to, and then if he's reluctant try mixing with the canned food, but in any case you wouldn't want to dilute any of the liquid additions, he needs all the nutritional value as quickly as he will consume them :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is small or thin, its never wrong to give KMR or goats milk as his drinking fluid.
If you can get raw goats milk it will be my suggestion. Otherwise some full fat processed goats milk or a good KMR...

But wet food is more energhy tight, so if you want him to grow, he must have this. You can of course use human baby food, Gerber for babies is often used.
Here in Sweden we often use minced meat from cows. (Do not use minced meat from pigs!).

Some nice vitamine paste may too be useful.

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he is small or thin, its never wrong to give KMR or goats milk as his drinking fluid.
If you can get raw goats milk it will be my suggestion. Otherwise some full fat processed goats milk or a good KMR...

But wet food is more energhy tight, so if you want him to grow, he must have this. You can of course use human baby food, Gerber for babies is often used.
Here in Sweden we often use minced meat from cows. (Do not use minced meat from pigs!).

Some nice vitamine paste may too be useful.
Okay, yes his eyes are fully developed and he looks like he is around 7-8 weeks but he feels like he is 6 weeks based on how small and skinny he is. He seems energetic and playful but also seems very hungry! I suppose this would fit the mold for using KMR?