Foster Kitty With 9 Newborn Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens will be fine without pain meds. Most kittens return immediately to playing. They heal very quickly at this young age, and will not need separating.

Most vets use internal dissolving stitches for female spays which do not need removing.

Mama kitty will need 3 days of pain meds, and she may feel a bit tired for a few days. Mama can return to nursing immediately, however, if she is interested. She should have internal stitches as well, and will not need to wear a cone. She will let the kittens know if she wants to be left alone.

I took my kittens in two groups one week apart too!

Everyone should be fine! :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi- I just saw these last replys. I tried to feed them all around 10, they all ate a little, then removed their food at 11:15 last night. I was stressed bringing them there, and they were nervous, probably because I was nervous. I am sure they will be starving, the vet called me yesterday and said no food or water after 12 so I followed their instructions.

Thanks all and I will let you know how they made out. Keep your fingers crossed that they all do well.

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are done, and should be home around 5. Someone is picking them up for me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awesome! Offer them wet food as soon as you get them back. They will not have eaten since last night before midnight. That's a long time for young kittens.

Was mom spayed today?

Let us know how they are doing later!

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boy. They are pissy. I have all 5 in the bathroom with food and water and also a lot of blankets that smell familiar. They are hissing and growling at each other. I hope they realize they are siblings and calm down. The other 5 are anxiously waiting at the door. They want in to that room. Poor kitty's.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They can be together. They do not need to be separated.

They are hissing because they smell the unfamiliar vet smell on each other.

They will get over it soon enough!

Have they eaten?

Was mom spayed today?

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes mom and 4 babies. They smell awful, like anticeptic. I will let them be for a few hours then open the door. I just want them to rest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They wil be fine! Do not be over
Cautious. They will work it out.

How's mama kitty doing?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that this is momma kittys last litter! I just think that is the best feeling! How is everyone doing today?

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are still pretty mad, spitting and growling. Even the ones who did not go to the vet were spitting at each other. I think it tension and stress. I took a washcloth and washed them down just a little so they would give themselves a bath. They are slightly better, but still mad.

The mom is ok but she just wants to be left alone. She will not tolerate any of the kittens coming close to her. I feel bad because her stomach looks awful and her nipples are full of milk. I hope it doesnt pop the stitches. They look like they will burst.
Im at work now so will check again around 6. Just think I have to do this all over again on Thursday with the other 5 kittens, ugh.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's for their own good!

See if she will let you put the babies to her nipples. Try to sit with her while doing so. She'll feel better releasing some of that milk, and the kittens will begin to relax more too.

It is stressful when their little world gets disrupted. :(

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As of today 8 of my kitties have gone to their new homes (5 left today). The last 2 are with me for another week or so until their new family is ready to take them. It's very quiet here. I miss my babies.

Attachments

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
9 Kitten and mom update
As of last night all 10 kitties have been fixed and are in their new homes. The last 2 went last night together. They were an awesome litter. I was totally over my head but keep trudging along every day. I am blessed to have this wonderful experience. Its a sad day that my kitties are all gone, but I truly loved every second. Thanks to all on this site who answered my questions and gave me encouragement. Now for some down time. Thank you all for your input.