Foster Kitty With 9 Newborn Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My own kitty is a yellow girl, and the mom I am fostering is a yellow girl, so its possible to have yellow girls. I haven't even looked as I have been so busy trying to keep them fed. Its a much bigger task than I had anticipated. I don't really care if they are male or female. I only care that they grow and thrive. Its going to be a bit crazy when they start to run around. Fun!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
www, so cute! Well, at least it will be easy to tell which ones are boys and which are girls ;) (in case you don't know: the red ones are boys, the torties are girls).
Every orange cat I've owned has been female. Right now, the 3 fosters I have are 2 orange and a tortie. All female.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound like red cats can't be girls, but all red females need to have a red daddy (and a red or tortie/calico mom) so since there was clearly a dark male involved I thought that it's probably pretty straightforward in this case :D.

Keep up the good work! You'll have a lot of fun when they're about 5/6 weeks old. As much fun as a barrel of kittens! :crazy:

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My own kitty is a yellow girl, and the mom I am fostering is a yellow girl, so its possible to have yellow girls. I haven't even looked as I have been so busy trying to keep them fed. Its a much bigger task than I had anticipated. I don't really care if they are male or female. I only care that they grow and thrive. Its going to be a bit crazy when they start to run around. Fun!
Oh, we know you only want them healthy, that's a given! I just can't pass up a genetic lesson, given the opportunity. ;)

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I didn't mean for it to sound like red cats can't be girls, but all red females need to have a red daddy (and a red or tortie/calico mom) so since there was clearly a dark male involved I thought that it's probably pretty straightforward in this case :D.

Keep up the good work! You'll have a lot of fun when they're about 5/6 weeks old. As much fun as a barrel of kittens! :crazy:
Does the depth of red make any difference? If red is a recessive gene, requiring one from each parent, I guess that wouldn't factor in. The litter I referred to had a calico mom. I do have 3 red boys now, including the boy you see here. Oh, and a regular visitor, that I need to trap. Now I will go to the appropriate area for genetics.:blush:
Sorry for the hijack. Back to those gorgeous babies! You are doing such a wonderful job!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the depth of red make any difference?
Nope! Basic color in cats is pretty straightforward---it's attached to the X chromosome, so boys get only one, from their mother---males are always the same color as their mom (a calico/tortie could pass on either color). Females have 2 X chromosomes, so they get one color gene from each parent.

Now, once you get into pointed, dilute, tabby, etc. then it gets more complicated with recessive/dominant and all that. But basic color is simple.

I think we need more pictures of the kittens! If you have time, that is ;). Must be busy with so many little mouths.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pictures! Please, when you have time. :) I haven't had kittens in this house in eight years, I'm getting my "fix" from you!:biggrin:

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never knew all of that. I will work on some close up baby photos. There ears are stating to come out and their eyes are open. Personalities are staying to show. I have a favorite, the littlest one, very feisty

Attachments

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are getting such great pics! Love seeing mom get some well deserved sleep. Little noses and toes I want to kiss! <3

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - Here is tonights weigh in: 11 days old. They are growing everyday.
8.1 oz

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are awesome for 11 days old. Keep an eye on the one who weighs only 6 ounces.

You are doing a fantastic job!

:rock:

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am trying. The littlest one (my favorite, I nicknamed her stripes because she has a stripe down her head) eats more from me than any other the others. I feel her at least twice in a sitting. She is always trying to nurse. She has gained 2 oz since I started to supplement. My heart will break if I lose any. My family tells me I am getting a little obsessed, haha.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nah, you are getting in the groove! You have the right attitude too!

Are you able to feed them more often on the weekend?

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. All the kitties are doing great and are growing and starting to explore. Question for you. Each night I weigh them before I go to bed. They are all gaining. There are about 4 out of the 9 that flatly refuse to drink the supplement. The little ones drink varying amounts, but the bigger ones refuse. Do you think I should just feed the smaller ones and let the little ones nurse. The problem is that the bigger ones dont let the smaller kittens in or push them out of the way of the mother. I try to feed them 3 times a day.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you mean feed the ones who will take the supplement, and let the ones who refuse it just nurse from mom only?

If so, you can do this as long as everyone continues to gain, but you will need to take the big ones away for an hour or two twice a day to let the little ones also nurse mom in addition to getting the supplemental feedings.

This is why we separate, rotate, and supplement - because the bigger kittens always bully the smaller ones off the nipples.

How much are they gaining each day?

What do the kittens weigh now?

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes- I am so tight on time and doing the best I can. I feel like I feed them for about 4 hours a day. I cannot make them drink it, they scream and push away.

I am at work but will post the weights later tonight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we will make sure all of their weights are where they should be for their age.

If they won't take it, and don't need it, it will be fine. No sense going through that.

I do think that all of them need time on mom though.

I'll look for the weights from you this evening. :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are tonights weights: All up from yesterday

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Compared to the last weights you posted on Saturday, they are gaining well.

For 15 days old, they are all in the right weight range of 8 ounces as well.

You are doing a very nice job! :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its a lot of work. They seem to know me now, and when I have the milk, they come meowing towards me. Lately I have 4-5 kittens on my lap at once, and I love it. Its going to be hard to give them up. The mom is totally fine with me handling them. She knows I am helping her. Not threatened at all. She is so sweet- I need to find her a good home, a better home than she came from. Getting attached to her and will cry when she leaves.