Foster Kitty With 9 Newborn Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, are you unable to keep mom or a kitten?

They come to know and trust you too! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I am not going to keep one. We have a kitty and a dog, that's enough for us right now.

How old to start litter training?

Kittens are doing fantastic. Getting bigger everyday, playing and starting to get nosy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Litter training begins at the same time as the transition to soft foods.

Start putting them in kitten-sized litter pans with non-clumping litter before and after meals once they start eating solids.

Kittens usually catch on quickly. Happy to hear they are doing so well.

We would love to see pictures! :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are a few pictures. They are doing amazing. They come running and climb all over me. I started with a little box yesterday and at least half of them used it no problem. 1 month old yesterday. 1 or 2 started to eat a little soft food yesterday. Still supplementing them 3 times a day. They are all about 1 lb.

Names in order are:
Muffin
Phantom
Spot
Midnight
Clementine

Attachments

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the mom, her name is Charlie. I should have named the babies after angels!

Attachments

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes all 9 are great. I'm just not fast enough to get all 9 with a full face shot. The other kitties are Sunny ( yellow), stripes (black) Dora (black and the explorer) and Buttercup (yellow). The mom is very funny. She calls them with a high pitched sound, and they listen. She rotates feeding them on her own. She's very smart and an excellent mom.

Thank you for all your good advice in the very beginning because I don't think they would've all made it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've worked very hard to get them to this point! The fact they are all about one pound is excellent.

Your reward will come in the next couple of weeks as they all begin to eat wet food and then learn to use the litter box, and you will be able to stop supplementing.

Thank you for all of your efforts!

Keep us posted on their progress. :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You've worked very hard to get them to this point! The fact they are all about one pound is excellent.

Your reward will come in the next couple of weeks as they all begin to eat wet food and then learn to use the litter box, and you will be able to stop supplementing.

Thank you for all of your efforts!

Keep us posted on their progress. :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Quick update, all 9 kitties are doing very well. They are six weeks old I think the mom is getting a little tired though. I'm taking all 10 cats to the vet tomorrow for their shots. I've had a lot of people ask about adoption and I know it's going to be very very difficult. They are so cute and I'm so very attached.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'll bet mom is tired! And you too!

It's so wonderful they have all survived and done well.

Vaccines are usually at 8, 10, and 12 weeks. Is there a reason they want to start them early?

They do need to stay with mom at least until they are 8 weeks old, preferably 10-12.

They look so cute!

You have done a brilliant job. It is always tough to let go. It's good they may have homes though!

Will you be keeping any? :)

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  1. Hi- I dont know, I am just doing what they told me to do. I do not plan on keeping any, although as each day passes I cant imagine all of them leaving. I love the mom the best and she has been living with me for 3 months, but dont think my kitty and her will get along so well, plus we have a dog. Its just more than I want to handle. We are good with 1 dog and 1 cat for now. Its kind of sad to think that they are all leaving and I am so in love with them all. They are all very nice and social kittys. Its a ton of work and Ive done my good deed! Thanks for all of your advice, there was a time I wasnt sure we would all make it, but once they got the hang of feeding from the syringe, they started to grow. They wouldnt have all made it without your advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You're putting tears in my eyes! I remember those early days. I was worried, but you totally stepped up to the plate.

Are they coming back home with you tomorrow?

More pictures please before they leave you for good! :lovecat2:

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they are coming home and they will be with me until they find their forever homes. They should be going to get fixed in a few weeks I think, then off to new homes a few days later. Wish me luck!

kittymom527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-

5 of my 10 kitties are getting fixed this week and the next week the remaining 5 will be going in. I dont really know what to expect afterward. I have always gotten pets that have already been fixed so wondering if it will be stressful for the kittens and the mom on Thursday night. Will they be in pain, will they be on meds? Also do I have to keep the ones who go in for the procedure separated from the other 5. Since they are 9 weeks old they are all quite crazy playing all the time. I dont want the kittens to hurt each other.
I need some help on what to expect the night of the surgery.
Also- I need to call the vet to ask if there are restrictions on food intake prior to the surgery. I am out of my element here (not the first time) and looking for support! Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens will be fine without pain meds. Most kittens return immediately to playing. They heal very quickly at this young age, and will not need separating.

Most vets use internal dissolving stitches for female spays which do not need removing.

Mama kitty will need 3 days of pain meds, and she may feel a bit tired for a few days. Mama can return to nursing immediately, however, if she is interested. She should have internal stitches as well, and will not need to wear a cone. She will let the kittens know if she wants to be left alone.

I took my kittens in two groups one week apart too!

Everyone should be fine! :)

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any surgery should be no food or water after midnight. Don't want anything in the stomach to aspirate. Just breathe, you are doing great!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My vet said my kittens could have an early morning meal before 7:30am. He said they need it being so little, whereas adult cats are not to eat after midnight.

The kittens can easily dehydrate if they go 16 hours without food.