Food with similar texture to Hill’s A/D

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Duck isn’t a huge wet food fan. She licks it a little, takes a few bites, and then walks away. The only wet food she’s ever eaten really well is the Hill’s A/D which she ate readily both while sick and she needed it and then once she was better until we ran out of cans. I think it’s a texture thing she doesn’t seem to like food with chunks that she has to chew. Obviously I can’t feed her the A/D all the time but I really want her eating wet food for at least one meal. Is there any wet food that has a similar texture to the Hill’s one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hills A/D is just pate so any pate food will hopefully work :) Fancy Feast Classic (Gourmet) is one such pate food. For a few others, see this Canned Cat food Spreadsheets
We’ve tried fancy feast as well as multiple other brands of pate food and she takes a bite or two and then walks away. I think the A/D is softer and smoother than most pates. I was looking at the Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse maybe since it seems like something she could just lick but I wasn’t sure if that was meant to be a treat or a meal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse is a complete balanced diet. Other brands you could try:

You can try pureeing or smushing pate food with a little water to make the texture a little softer.

Add toppers to make any food more appealing. FortiFlora works well but can be addicting. Switch up the toppers and go a meal or two without any toppers so the cat doesn't get used to expecting toppers with every meal.

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse is a complete balanced diet. Other brands you could try:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

You can try pureeing or smushing pate food with a little water to make the texture a little softer.

Add toppers to make any food more appealing. FortiFlora works well but can be addicting. Switch up the toppers and go a meal or two without any toppers so the cat doesn't get used to expecting toppers with every meal.
Awesome thank you so much for your help! I’ll look into some toppers and also some of those other brands since the Tiki Cat is a little pricey. I’ve bought a few pouches for now and we’ll see if she likes them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Freeze dried treats that have been crushed up is popular. Other toppers: grated Parmesan cheese (preferably a real chunk of cheese you grate and not prepackaged stuff that has fillers included), nutritional yeast, canned tuna, liquids like bone broth, a sprinkle of store bought pet food toppers like this one, etc.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Literally any brand of wet food that has an AAFCO statement ("balanced and complete food for kittens/for all life stages" or similar wording) is going to be better than every brand of dry food on a moisture and digestibility basis--not even getting into all the nonsense ingredients in dry food to make it a shelf-stable dry food. I would pick one meal a week that is "Duck Test Kitchen". Pick up a number of different pates from the store and give her a small flight. Maybe two or three different options, no more than a tablespoon of each. Anything she takes more than a couple bites, bring that one back the next time. Some cats like to do their own slow introductions where they'll eat a little bit and see how it treats them before eating more next time. It can be pricey going through a number of foods like that. But finding one or two she actually likes will be worth the effort for her long-term health. You might want to start with some supermarket brands like Friskies, Sheba, and Purina Beyond. These may not be your ideal brands. But popular brands are popular with cats. They wouldn't be on the shelves otherwise. It's a place to start. You have the rest of her life to convince her to like better brands. 😹

Just be aware that supermarkets sometimes have supplemental feeding only foods like chicken or tuna packed in water. If that's all that's on the ingredients or if the label says "supplemental feeding only" rather than the AAFCO statement, this can be used as an enticement, but not an actual meal. It should be regarded either as a treat or an emergency food to get them through a sick spell until they are back to eating balanced and complete food again.

Also please pay the unofficial kitten tax and post a picture of Duck. 😻

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Literally any brand of wet food that has an AAFCO statement ("balanced and complete food for kittens/for all life stages" or similar wording) is going to be better than every brand of dry food on a moisture and digestibility basis--not even getting into all the nonsense ingredients in dry food to make it a shelf-stable dry food. I would pick one meal a week that is "Duck Test Kitchen". Pick up a number of different pates from the store and give her a small flight. Maybe two or three different options, no more than a tablespoon of each. Anything she takes more than a couple bites, bring that one back the next time. Some cats like to do their own slow introductions where they'll eat a little bit and see how it treats them before eating more next time. It can be pricey going through a number of foods like that. But finding one or two she actually likes will be worth the effort for her long-term health. You might want to start with some supermarket brands like Friskies, Sheba, and Purina Beyond. These may not be your ideal brands. But popular brands are popular with cats. They wouldn't be on the shelves otherwise. It's a place to start. You have the rest of her life to convince her to like better brands. 😹

Just be aware that supermarkets sometimes have supplemental feeding only foods like chicken or tuna packed in water. If that's all that's on the ingredients or if the label says "supplemental feeding only" rather than the AAFCO statement, this can be used as an enticement, but not an actual meal. It should be regarded either as a treat or an emergency food to get them through a sick spell until they are back to eating balanced and complete food again.

Also please pay the unofficial kitten tax and post a picture of Duck. 😻
Thank you so much for the reply! We've definitely been doing the trial and error thing but usually only one food at a time so I'll try offering her a few different foods at a time. She also has a sensitive tummy so we've struggled to find foods that she both likes and that don't upset her stomach - trying to move to more wet food than dry since I know it'll be easier on her system but because of budget we just can't afford to feed out six cats all wet food especially because some are on prescription foods. Hopefully we'll find some stuff she likes soon!

Hopefully the pictures of her I attached actually show. She's ten months old now but I've had her since she was born - she was the only kitten of a stray cat that adopted us. 😅

Attachments

SpaceLamb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Freeze dried treats that have been crushed up is popular. Other toppers: grated Parmesan cheese (preferably a real chunk of cheese you grate and not prepackaged stuff that has fillers included), nutritional yeast, canned tuna, liquids like bone broth, a sprinkle of store bought pet food toppers like this one, etc.
Thank you again so much for the help! I've never had a picky cat, most of mine love food too much for their own good, so it's been a little frustrating trying to find something she likes. I'll definitely pick up some kind of topper and offer her a variety of things until we find what works.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Weruva's pates are very mousse-like in consistency. Delilah won't eat pate most of the time but she'll eat most of these, as long as it's the "hydrating puree". Once in a while there are some flavors with a chunk or 2 (the chicken and chicken liver had 3 or 4 pieces of liver) that would be easy to pick out.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin Babycat is very similar to A/D. I've uses it for sick cats, works great. Not sure about other formulas, it usually takes a lot of experimenting.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Royal canin babycat pate/loaf is a really similar texture. Much softer/squishier than most pates.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sheba pates are very soft. My picky eaters love them.