Mousse-texture, Reasonably Priced Wet Food?

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Radish is a licker, and the only wet food texture he doesn't fling around with every "bite" seems to be airy, mousse-like textures. Discovered this by accident when bringing a treat of Trader Joe's turkey & giblet cat food, which does not advertise a mousse texture, but is much airier than the typical paté. We don't have Trader Joe's anywhere near us, or else I'd keep buying it--he absolutely loved it and the price for a 5.5 oz can is a great deal. Any recommendations for a similar textured food, at a reasonable price? The only candidate I've found so far is Tiki cat (which is a bit on the pricey side). I can't seem to search for texture on the cat food database!

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Radish is a licker, and the only wet food texture he doesn't fling around with every "bite" seems to be airy, mousse-like textures. Discovered this by accident when bringing a treat of Trader Joe's turkey & giblet cat food, which does not advertise a mousse texture, but is much airier than the typical paté. We don't have Trader Joe's anywhere near us, or else I'd keep buying it--he absolutely loved it and the price for a 5.5 oz can is a great deal. Any recommendations for a similar textured food, at a reasonable price? The only candidate I've found so far is Tiki cat (which is a bit on the pricey side). I can't seem to search for texture on the cat food database!
Try Sheba. Mixed with a bit of warm water it has a very smooth texture.
Also Nutro Soft Loaf.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try and mix it in a blender. I have a mini chopper I put it in to make them smooth.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Weruva Slide N Serve Pate pouches are pretty smooth too.

I also have a cat that loves the Mousse texture. I have the best luck using warmed KMR to thin it for her and that seems to go over well, particularly with Wellness Complete Chicken Pate!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some of BFF's new pates yesterday and fed one (chicken/lamb) last night. It's very soft, a lot like Sheba. And our pickier cat especially loved it. I haven't tried the other ones out on the cats yet but it looks like at lest the plain chicken food also claims to be "creamy."

Soulistic also has a new line of pates that describe themselves as "creamy." (And "delicious," always a plus!) When I compared ingredients in Petco, they looked exactly the same. (Soulistic was a little cheaper but there was a special on buying some certain number of BFFs.)

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought some of BFF's new pates yesterday and fed one (chicken/lamb) last night. It's very soft, a lot like Sheba. And our pickier cat especially loved it. I haven't tried the other ones out on the cats yet but it looks like at lest the plain chicken food also claims to be "creamy."

Soulistic also has a new line of pates that describe themselves as "creamy." (And "delicious," always a plus!) When I compared ingredients in Petco, they looked exactly the same. (Soulistic was a little cheaper but there was a special on buying some certain number of BFFs.)
Thank you!! I will keep my eye out for the "creamy" ones! I've been doing the mixing water in thing but he just laps up all of the water and leaves solid chunks behind still, in addition to flinging bits around :yummy: at least he's getting more water I guess!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I will keep my eye out for the "creamy" ones! I've been doing the mixing water in thing but he just laps up all of the water and leaves solid chunks behind still, in addition to flinging bits around :yummy: at least he's getting more water I guess!
Our cats liked the chicken/duck/turkey one, too. I hope they might work for your cat, too!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When was Radish's teeth last checked? My Krista does this because she's got some redness and soreness in her mouth. I have her scheduled for a dental this Monday.

Krista has a similar preference for mousse textures now. But she also has IBD. All of the foods recommended above would cause her great discomfort at best or more likely, turn her insides out.

So given a food she already likes (and treats her well), how can I mousse it for her without making it a soggy mess? (for instance, Fancy Feast Classic or Rad Cat/similar boneless raw grind. My preference is to keep her eating Rad Cat (or similar since I'm nearly out) but I also need to keep her eating until Monday's procedure.

IronHippo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When was Radish's teeth last checked? My Krista does this because she's got some redness and soreness in her mouth. I have her scheduled for a dental this Monday.

Krista has a similar preference for mousse textures now. But she also has IBD. All of the foods recommended above would cause her great discomfort at best or more likely, turn her insides out.

So given a food she already likes (and treats her well), how can I mousse it for her without making it a soggy mess? (for instance, Fancy Feast Classic or Rad Cat/similar boneless raw grind. My preference is to keep her eating Rad Cat (or similar since I'm nearly out) but I also need to keep her eating until Monday's procedure.
I don't think it's his teeth--he is only about 10 months old, and he's always licked wet food. He eats kibble and hard treats just fine. I've watched him and he opens his mouth to pick up mouthfuls of kibble...he just doesn't do it or only does it intermittently when he eats wet food. I think it's just an eating quirk for him! He is due to see the vet this weekend though and they'll check his teeth (this will be his first visit with a full set of adult teeth) so I guess we'll find out if it's a teeth issue soon!

Sorry to hear that your Krista is having problems! :( Did you try blending her normal food as suggested above?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t want to water down the nutrition so it’s been hard to blend without adding much water. I did pick up some KMR powder. I’m thinking I can get away with adding more water now because the KMR will add extra nutrition and thicken up a soggier texture into something hopefully more pudding-like.

Haven’t tried it out yet.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another thing I've heard of is using water mixed with gelatin powder. It's supposed to help people with IBS but not sure if it translates to cats.

Also maybe bone broth powder?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I've heard of is using water mixed with gelatin powder. It's supposed to help people with IBS but not sure if it translates to cats.

Also maybe bone broth powder?
I will absolutely try that. I have been stumbling over how much to use but I can math it out from the raw feed recipes. Rad Cat is a huge fan of gelatin and she was a huge fan of Rad Cat before her oral discomfort overtook her appetite.

BonneB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same!!!