Food Brand Suggestions For Older Cat With Early Ckd.

Felixthehousecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Mainecoon Felix is around 17. He doesnt really show it. A few months ago he had an issue peeing. After the Vet visit, the urinary infection test came back negitive, no crystals, but the blood test the vet said, should some possible early signs for lowered kidney function. They prescribed Hills Prescription C/K early support wet food and if memory serves me right, antiboitics in case he did have a urinary infection.

Anyways long story short, i found Tanya's CKD website, read, and picked out several brands from the list that i thought would work great. And they have. BUT, its been some time since things were updated and ive been looking for some brands that fell under the 0.80 percent tier for phosphates, but had higher amounts of protein and a decent calorie amount and affordable within reason. Reason being he has become skinnier and id like to see if switching to a higher protein/calorie amount would yield some changes.

His current foods has been the hills science diet cans for adults 7+ that are not fish based, the Wellness Healthy Indulgence Morsels Pouches, and a few others. He did not like the Weruva Truluxe Steak Frites (even when i bought the large can pack). His maine go-to though is Royal Canin Mainecoon cans.... I usually get about 8-10 packs per month (ugh$$$).

I've been thinking of getting " Purely Fancy Feast White Meat Chicken & Shredded Beef Trays" but at how small they are and such a small pack, i dont think its what im looking for, but its on my list still. He's been doing just fine since the vet visit other than recently noticing he could be skinnier than i would prefer. Now i would take the time and jump back and forth from CatfoodDB, Tanya's site, and chewy to try and figure something out but i really am short on time atm.

So could anyone help me in my quest with suggestions that would be a good fit for what im looking for? I generally buy like to buy in bulk too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What a beautiful cat!

I searched through a number of posts/threads, and mostly members are referring to lists and databases, and some of the brands you're mentioning.

Anything Better Than K/d Diet For Crf Cat Allergic To Poutry?

Ask your vet about a phosphorus binder, that could widen the range of foods you can feed.

Oh, by the way, tanyas site has a support group as well, in case you didn't know.

Dr elsey's might work...
New Here, Need Help With Choosing New Dry Food For Clark!!

Here is a database that may be more up to date, when you have the time available.
https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Here is another list but it's also possibly a bit outdated;

Low Carb / Low Phposphorus Canned Food List

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pricey, and actually requires a prescription from your vet, but Darwin's raw food has a line specifically for kidney issues that a lot of their customers swear by. I myself have not used this particular product, but I have used the regular Darwin's in the past and have been impressed by their delivery and customer service.

Intelligent Design™ Veterinary Meals for Cats - Darwin's Pet Food

slide95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had 4 cats over the years with kidney disease.None of them were crazy about renal pouches. Senior food is a good compromise. I used to feed mine Felix senior, which is lower in phosphorus than the adult version. I also used to add a measure of ipakitine, which works as a phosphorus binder, to reduced absoprtion of it. I think itworkedout at about 10p a dose, which still makes a meal a lot cheaper than renal food + the cats get to enjoy their favourites. Egg yolk is very high in phosphorus, so I would limit the amount given. The bottom line is any food is better than no food and quality of life needs to come into it. Chicken is also quite high in phosphorus, but Clapton had some every day - I also used to mix some ipakitine into it. Most cats will happily eat food with it mixed in as it is made from ground mollusc shells.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felixthehousecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got back from a vet appt., He had trouble peeing and some blood in the urine. same as last time, ill have the test results back on monday. But the vet said that she had some difficulty with the catheter and there was some small amounts of tissue but she food no blood. and as i had feared there has been some weight loss since the last visit. I do believe though this was all brought on by feeding him just the RC mainecoon food for the last week since his others ran low. My cats housing situation is unusual in the fact they are not able to live with me. Anyways after talking to the vet a bit more i think im just going to have to pay for the Prescription K/D food and just see how it goes.

Not feeling to great myself, I was just starting to get myself out from my other cats Diabetes Diagnosis and the cost of all that care to finally have him stable. Now another $400 bill. i guess i should start asking my employer about pet insurance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Felixthehousecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im going to be looking into the Darwin's prescription but for right now i really just dont have the extra time to website jump and number crunch so im just going with the K/D wet can food from hills that the vet offers, its actually the same cost as chewy's site offers, luckily.

slide95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had 4 cats over the years with kidney disease.None of them were crazy about renal pouches. Senior food is a good compromise. I used to feed mine Felix senior, which is lower in phosphorus than the adult version. I also used to add a measure of ipakitine, which works as a phosphorus binder, to reduced absoprtion of it. I think itworkedout at about 10p a dose, which still makes a meal a lot cheaper than renal food + the cats get to enjoy their favourites. Egg yolk is very high in phosphorus, so I would limit the amount given. The bottom line is any food is better than no food and quality of life needs to come into it. Chicken is also quite high in phosphorus, but Clapton had some every day - I also used to mix some ipakitine into it. Most cats will happily eat food with it mixed in as it is made from ground mollusc shells.
Egg yolk is very high in phosphorus, so I would limit the amount given. The bottom line is any food is better than no food and quality of life needs to come into it. Chicken is also quite high in phosphorus, but Clapton had some every day - I also used to mix some ipakitine into it. Most cats will happily eat food with it mixed in as it is made from ground mollusc shells.

Last edited by a moderator: