Flowering Trees Where You At

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have forsythia bushes that aren't blooming the way the should. . .I had them pruned so maybe they'll be nicer next year, idk what's wrong with them. But anyway they're sort of blooming already. And my mom has some snowdrops and crocus that are blooming. That's it so far, although the grass (that doesn't have snow on it) is very green.

There are a lot of crabapple trees in the area, those are the main blooming trees. I have 2 decorative plum trees that have very nice blossoms but they don't last long at all. It seems like they bloom for one day and then the wind blows and they're gone. I also have a lot of lilacs, including a large 100-year-old stand, but they bloom fairly late and don't even have buds yet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully this will be a good year for the lilacs. Last year wasn't so good, and they seem to go in one year good, next year not so much, cycles. I forgot, I also have a weigela, though it's the last to bloom, usually not till early July. :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have forsythia bushes that aren't blooming the way the should. . .I had them pruned so maybe they'll be nicer next year, idk what's wrong with them. But anyway they're sort of blooming already. And my mom has some snowdrops and crocus that are blooming. That's it so far, although the grass (that doesn't have snow on it) is very green.

There are a lot of crabapple trees in the area, those are the main blooming trees. I have 2 decorative plum trees that have very nice blossoms but they don't last long at all. It seems like they bloom for one day and then the wind blows and they're gone. I also have a lot of lilacs, including a large 100-year-old stand, but they bloom fairly late and don't even have buds yet.
Show us. I can smell 'em already.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have forsythia bushes that aren't blooming the way the should. . .I had them pruned so maybe they'll be nicer next year, idk what's wrong with them. But anyway they're sort of blooming already.
Pruning them at the wrong time will do it. Forsythias bloom on last year's growth, so the time to shear them is right after they bloom. Then leave the new growth for next year.

How cold does it get in SD? Our winters in Illinois can be brutal, and when we have a winter like that, our forsythias bloom sparsely or not at all.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Other than magnolia trees in bloom or close to it, there isn't much yet. Maybe in a few weeks.

OBSCENITIES have been, and will continue to be, lustily and fully screamed.

Lordy lordy lordy.

The kind of response I was hoping for!

And, many more?

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
doomsdave doomsdave What is the beautiful purple tree in the back of your pic?
That's a pink or rose Tabubueia, a cousin of the yellow tree out front. They're a bit more reliable in holding onto their flowers, and they've been extensively used as street trees.

Which means I'll have to rustle up some new pictures.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that's a good forsythia! Mine are so sparse. Maybe it is the tough winters. But I've seen others in the area that bloom nicely. Bah.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave DD my phone and told her to take pictures of the flowering trees as we drove home from the store yesterday. She took them ALL with the zoom so none are clear. I did get a few once we were off the main road. I pulled over to try to get one tree and ended up having the person who lives next door pulling up behind me because I was blocking their driveway a bit. Oops.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Meanwhile in Canada...

All I have are these purple crocus's that are happily blooming in the messy garden still full of the remnants of last year's summer annuals and random dried up fall leaves.

IMG_8299.jpg

As for flowering trees, we don't even have leaves on the trees yet. But here's a preview pic of what my rhododendron will look like when it eventually blooms. FYI, last year the pics were taken on May 18, so it'll be a while yet for this year's pics.

IMG_7381.jpg