Flowering Trees Where You At

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the northern hemisphere the fullness of spring is upon us. Or at least many of us.

And with spring comes the flowers including flowering trees.

Here’s one of my favorites a yellow tabubueia not far from my place.

Show us yours!

8416E088-7E0D-451E-8ADD-BAF79417CEE7.jpeg
1C0F04FA-E021-4A3B-BAE7-2B9C7F4AF3D1.jpeg
AA8F2819-3956-47CA-8AC7-156B75262BF2.jpeg
C0BA6C6F-467A-4EC0-9D4F-FDC7C9320B26.jpeg

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have so much snow and our trees are still naked.:( It actually snowed yesterday, and in the past week has snowed 4 out of 7 days.:argh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess I jumped the gun a bit . . . . .

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you did. Our daffs are blooming, but I woke up to heavy snow this morning. When the trees are blooming, my fave is magnolia soulangeana 'Jane'. I have one in a bed if mini daffs and grape hyacinths. They all bloom at the same time, and it's gorgeous.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem Norachan Norachan AbbysMom AbbysMom and DreamerRose DreamerRose do please share when you can.

I remember the late snows in Ohio. My late mom's birthday was in April, and one year we celebrated, it was 70 F, then overnight, it snowed. A foot. The city was semi-paralyzed since the plows were mothballed for the season. (Everyone suggested a later mothball date.)

The daffodils, muscari, crocus, siberian squills, and Lilium I planted as a kid in the 1970s are still at what's now my brother's house in Ohio. Those little flowers outlasted two big oak trees, a row of arbovitae, and my mom and dad.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love that tabubueia; it's a central American tree. The biggest one I ever saw was about 80 feet tall and when it bloomed it stopped traffic on the I 210 in Pasadena, or thereabout. It was like a tower of light radiating skyward.

Hopefully one of our members will treat us to pictures of the Japanese Cherry blossoms in Washington DC, too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cherry blossoms usually flower at the end of April, but they might be a bit later this year.
Backgrounds on the news shows are showing the cherry trees at the Tidal Basin in DC are in full flower. We used to go down there around Easter and walk around. I will never forget the smell of all the flowers - tulips, hyacinths, and so on. Since this was a few years after WWII, I couldn't understand why the Japanese gave them to us. I was young, but knew the Japanese were an enemy. Much later, I discovered they were a gift in 1912.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/assets/jb/progress/jb_progress_cherry_2_e.jpg

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing like the universe of flowers that flowering trees can seem to create. Poppies on the mountains were pretty, but the flowering trees are better.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I remember the late snows in Ohio.
Although not in Ohio, we got clobbered today. It snowed all day and by the looks of it I thought it was January instead of April. :confused2: Luckily I had no specific plans so stayed indoors and admired the snowflakes from our window. My husband said it was the 11th time in 120 years it snowed this late in April.

I'm worried the buds on our magnolia tree may not have survived. :frown:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Guess I jumped the gun a bit . . . . .
Yup, little bit, for some of us, at least. I currently have crocus blooming. Daffodils soon. Then tulips. And eventually lilacs and rhododendrons. Will post pics when they bloom. That is if this thread is still active then. Spring can be slow arriving in Canada. :sigh: But snow's all gone here now. So that's something.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will have to get a few pictures today. My redbud's are just getting open blooms and my dogwood is just starting too. :banana1: The Bradford Pears are starting to lose their petals in favor of leaves. The forsythia in the area is still gorgeous though. I love their burst of yellow!

There is a tree in our church parking lot that DD loves because of it's pink blooms. I don't know the name of it. I didn't get any pictures yesterday. I'd love to add a pink dogwood to our yard but I don't know where we would put it. I got the Red Buds for free from a home fair. They were little twigs with bare roots. Now they are taller than I am. I was thinking the other day; I didn't expect much from them so of course those are doing well. I bought my lilacs after searching out the color I wanted from a big nursery about 45 minutes away. One is doing fine; the other looks not so good. I'm going to give it some TLC; but geesh. I do like them though. I always wanted a pink flowering tree and now I have 2. :thumbsup:

That yellow tree is GORGEOUS! We don't get anything like that around here!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, little bit, for some of us, at least. I currently have crocus blooming. Daffodils soon. Then tulips. And eventually lilacs and rhododendrons. Will post pics when they bloom. That is if this thread is still active then. Spring can be slow arriving in Canada. :sigh: But snow's all gone here now. So that's something.
I hope we're just getting started! Bring on the lilacs and rhodies.

Bring on your springtime pictures, everyone. Spring's great, even if it's a little shy sometimes; heaven alone only knows I remember that well from Ohio. The Chinese have the right idea about celebrating the new year in "springtime."

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope we are too. But for now, all I can post are these pretty smilies. ;)
:daisy: :evergreen: :tree:
Been there done that.

That's why I ran screaming to California all those years ago.

Oh yeah, you'll get spring.

My brother visited me from Ohio in February; we ended up have a record-breaking cold February (never above 70 F); he was delighted, it was -17 F when he went out here a week before Valentine's day.

But, when the magnolias and dogwoods bloom, and the tulips, and heaven help us all, the lilacs, we'll be jealous out here in La Tierra D'La La. So many people wanted to grow dogwoods and lilacs out here and couldn't; it wasn't cold enough!