Flare Up Or Secondary Infected?

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 4 years old cat got herpes virus recently and I'm not an expert in this case, he started sneezing today morning, and I gave him Lysine ( it's always work ) , but now it's 8:00 at night, and he's still sneezing. And that's something that worries me because I've had a bad experience before, his breathing looks normal. 20 per minute He eats well and there's no diarrhea but also in the morning threw up all he's food but he sometimes do that from time to time so I don't know... My floor is black so it's hard to notice if there is a discharge from his nose

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again!
In case you haven't seen these already, the first thread is lengthy - it began quite a while back but has been kept current, and the second and third post links below that one are current.

Perhaps nunnc84 nunnc84 can give you more information about some of the herpes tips from the third post;

Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

Testing For Feline Herpes?

What's The Latest Tip You Learned ?

also mentioned in the link above, Cat Herpes: FVR and FHV-1 Symptoms and Treatments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again!
In case you haven't seen these already, the first thread is lengthy - it began quite a while back but has been kept current, and the second and third post links below that one are current.

Perhaps nunnc84 nunnc84 can give you more information about some of the herpes tips from the third post;

Stubborn herpes infection? Add Lactoferrin in addition to Lysine

Testing For Feline Herpes?

What's The Latest Tip You Learned ?

also mentioned in the link above, Cat Herpes: FVR and FHV-1 Symptoms and Treatments
Thank you so much:heartshape:
but i didn't find my answer i want to know the different between the normal flare up and the secondary bacterial infection he still sneezing and its broke my heart :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it's a challenging time of year with a lot of members elsewhere - let me see if there is anyone else with experience... @Wile do you have some time available to help the OP?

Would this help? Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis
Or this - I realize these aren't getting at the answer to your question, but they may provide actionable tips;
Cat Herpes Virus Flare Up

Last edited:

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my 4 years old cat got herpes virus recently and I'm not an expert in this case, he started sneezing today morning, and I gave him Lysine ( it's always work ) , but now it's 8:00 at night, and he's still sneezing. And that's something that worries me because I've had a bad experience before, his breathing looks normal. 20 per minute He eats well and there's no diarrhea but also in the morning threw up all he's food but he sometimes do that from time to time so I don't know... My floor is black so it's hard to notice if there is a discharge from his nose
Hi
thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom
I will try my best
I rescued a cat with a short nose smushed face. She had an eye infection that went away eventually after a month of antibiotics.
I did not know about herpes in cats until I put together the symptoms, and read online.
L-Lysine is a supplement that has to build up in the system to help prevent 'flare ups'. A flare up in my cat's case is reddened third eye that leads to purulent tears. No not rust, yellow snotty kind.
It is important to keep the cat calm, on a persistent schedule. Llysine, colostrum, and lactoferrin are supplements I give the cat. I switched food again, non-grain is important.
Other than sneezing, your cat is eating drinking and breathing without distress? If not take your cat to the vet immediately.
If so, give the supplements regularly. Read more online how to combat herpes. I do not know it all.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitty has herpes, he will have flare ups. Sometimes it's triggered by change...changing weather, change in the home, change of food, introduction of new kitty, or even new/different people coming and going. Other times, it's triggered by stress. Change often triggers stress in kitties. If the sneezing is non-productive or the discharge is clear, then it's most likely a herpes flare. If the sneezing is productive and you have discolored discharge, then it's most likely a secondary infection. The best way to know is to have the discolored discharge cultured by the vet's office. They can also do a sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic will best treat the infection.

If your weather is changing it could just be seasonal type allergies and you can treat with an antihistamine. I have a herpes kitty and when the weather changes her sneezing increases tremendously.

There are other treatments you can try such as changing to an all grain-free diet, running calming agents such as Feliway diffusers 24/7, adding Duralactin to help boost the immune system, using colloidal silver to boost immune system, even adding an omega-3 supplement can help reduce inflammation. Sometimes a prescription nose drop is good to clear up the lingering effects. However, the best thing I've found is to set a routine and stick to it, boost the immune system by providing the best food/diet you can afford that's grain free, and the daily antihistamine.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If your kitty has herpes, he will have flare ups. Sometimes it's triggered by change...changing weather, change in the home, change of food, introduction of new kitty, or even new/different people coming and going. Other times, it's triggered by stress. Change often triggers stress in kitties. If the sneezing is non-productive or the discharge is clear, then it's most likely a herpes flare. If the sneezing is productive and you have discolored discharge, then it's most likely a secondary infection. The best way to know is to have the discolored discharge cultured by the vet's office. They can also do a sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic will best treat the infection.

If your weather is changing it could just be seasonal type allergies and you can treat with an antihistamine. I have a herpes kitty and when the weather changes her sneezing increases tremendously.

There are other treatments you can try such as changing to an all grain-free diet, running calming agents such as Feliway diffusers 24/7, adding Duralactin to help boost the immune system, using colloidal silver to boost immune system, even adding an omega-3 supplement can help reduce inflammation. Sometimes a prescription nose drop is good to clear up the lingering effects. However, the best thing I've found is to set a routine and stick to it, boost the immune system by providing the best food/diet you can afford that's grain free, and the daily antihistamine.
I have considered a daily histamine myself. A generic kind of pill? Which one and how much do you recommend?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nunnc84 nunnc84 I give generic Claritin (Loratadine), 10 mg tablet. The dose is 1/4 to 1/2 tablet a day. I ran out a couple of weeks ago and my poor girl sneezed her head off like crazy. I felt so bad for her.

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom
I will try my best
I rescued a cat with a short nose smushed face. She had an eye infection that went away eventually after a month of antibiotics.
I did not know about herpes in cats until I put together the symptoms, and read online.
L-Lysine is a supplement that has to build up in the system to help prevent 'flare ups'. A flare up in my cat's case is reddened third eye that leads to purulent tears. No not rust, yellow snotty kind.
It is important to keep the cat calm, on a persistent schedule. Llysine, colostrum, and lactoferrin are supplements I give the cat. I switched food again, non-grain is important.
Other than sneezing, your cat is eating drinking and breathing without distress? If not take your cat to the vet immediately.
If so, give the supplements regularly. Read more online how to combat herpes. I do not know it all.
Thank you so much for the help
Yup he is eating and drinking fine
The problem is sneezing and some tears
Again thank you :hearthrob:
I have another question
How to prevent the second bectria infection??

Lilyraghdlife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My cat is also with chronic diarrhea
I tried many high quality healthy food
And nothing work, the only thing work for my cat is cutting dry food
And stick with fancy feast turkey for kitten and then his diarrhea stop

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best thing you can do to prevent a secondary infection is to get his immune system boosted and as healthy as possible. Keep to your normal routine and avoid getting him stressed out. Keep on top of his treatments, any supplements and such that you're giving, make sure you have them on hand at all times.

I give my girl a daily probiotic and several other supplements to help her stay healthy. We know she has an ongoing secondary infection, so any time we see that flaring up, we get her to the vet for meds.