What's The Latest Tip You Learned ?

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Fighting fleas that grew resistant to Advantage flea killer.

Thank goodness Advantage II still works here, but Frontline, etc., don't. Did you try Siphotrol spray? It goes on the floor/carpet, not the cat but it's good for months because it kills pre-emergent fleas, too. Many kennels and rescue groups use it, and sos does my vet.

Now you have another tip.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A thread about cats that don't meow and the discussion turned to the fact that (in a lot of cases) a cat that doesn't meow at their owner has an owner who knows what they need before they feel the need to meow.
Really cool because the cats are usually silent until it's time to eat. This explains it because their dinner time feeding time is very varied, they don't get fed at the exact same time every night. So when they think we might be late or have forgotten, the meows, singing, screaming, shouting, wailing and things begin and I put ear plugs on the shopping list.
Then I worry we'll get an OSHA fine because of the noise level.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness Advantage II still works here, but Frontline, etc., don't. Did you try Siphotrol spray? It goes on the floor/carpet, not the cat but it's good for months because it kills pre-emergent fleas, too. Many kennels and rescue groups use it, and sos does my vet.

Now you have another tip.
It turns out that the same growth inhibitor that stops cockroaches from maturing (and reproducing) also does that to fleas. Hallelujia!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Richard2121

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently learned a solution to a common scenario: You have a young kitten who needs to eat more frequently and other cats that may or may not be piggies. If you have to leave them alone while at work all day and cannot leave dry food out for the young one to snack on because the older cats will steal it all, then you can take a sturdy cardboard box or large plastic storage container and cut a hole that is only large enough for the small kitten to fit inside. Then leave a bowl of food in there for the kitten to eat! You can make the hole bigger as the kitten grows :)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I recently learned a solution to a common scenario: You have a young kitten who needs to eat more frequently and other cats that may or may not be piggies. If you have to leave them alone while at work all day and cannot leave dry food out for the young one to snack on because the older cats will steal it all, then you can take a sturdy cardboard box or large plastic storage container and cut a hole that is only large enough for the small kitten to fit inside. Then leave a bowl of food in there for the kitten to eat! You can make the hole bigger as the kitten grows :)
In my case we fed the young cat up on the counter. The older cats couldn't climb up onto the counter so that worked for me. But I do like the box with the cutout hole.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my case we fed the young cat up on the counter. The older cats couldn't climb up onto the counter so that worked for me. But I do like the box with the cutout hole.
My new kitten, Conan the Destroyer, is the big piggy now. He eats about four times what the mature adults do. Oink oink oink!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A big lesson/reminder these last few days about living with a semi feral. For the last couple days Willow was going into hiding instead of eating her wet food dinner and has been very very skittish the rest of the time. The first day I assumed it was because I was in the kitchen at the same time as her dinner and was making her nervous. When the same behavior occurred yesterday, I was stumped. But today I figured it out (slapping forehead). Usually she is waiting and begging me for her dinner but yesterday and the day before she was off sleeping when I set her food out. Even after seven years with me, she is still deeply distrustful and frightened by food being offered that she didn’t expect but I just didn’t realize this applied to her dinner. Today I waited until she begged and then she was just fine. All future meals will only be provided when she is present and asking for food.

Last edited:

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
~ Every time I visit The Cat Site I learn something - mostly about my kitty cats. :petcat:What's the most recent tip you have learned here ?
Colloidal Silver, colostrum, lactoferrin, l-lysine for herpes outbreak. Also great for tear stains, colloidal silver. When the herpes is under control; I can use eye envy to decrease the tear staining. And, how to know when herpes infection is present? Good thing to look up: https://pets.webmd.com/cats/feline-herpes-symptoms-treatment#1
jackson galaxy has the best cat kickers! How to prepare a kitty tube for the winter with a heating pad for a ferrel cat (Fully Insulated Outdoor Cat House | The Kitty Tube). How to groom a perisan (still learning, Grooming). How to get to adult females to eventually sleep with me at the same time (still learning). Facebook Persian Health page has snarky people that will give you wrong advice.

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise