First-time Cat Owner! Advice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I stayed up most of the night and slept on and off because I was so worried, but he just urinated after 24 hours and pooped after 48 hours. (5am CA) I am so relieved! He also drank a good amount of water, but only ate like around 5 pieces of his food (which is not a lot, but is something!)AND he meowed a little bit at me this morning for those few bites of food which is what he would normally do! :p

I am still going to be taking him to the vet later today just in case there is any underlying medical problems, but I am still extremely happy he finally went to the bathroom! :angelcat:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I stayed up most of the night and slept on and off because I was so worried, but he just urinated after 24 hours and pooped after 48 hours. (5am CA) I am so relieved! He also drank a good amount of water, but only ate like around 5 pieces of his food (which is not a lot, but is something!)AND he meowed a little bit at me this morning for those few bites of food which is what he would normally do! :p

I am still going to be taking him to the vet later today just in case there is any underlying medical problems, but I am still extremely happy he finally went to the bathroom! :angelcat:
:yess: :poop: :bliss::bunnydance::woohoo::jive:

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Here is an update on the vet:

Dexter had a fever of 105.6, the technician had to check twice to make sure because it was sooo high for my poor boy. The doctor then came and asked about him, if there was any changes, but the only thing we're his vaccines given to him the week before.

The x-rays and bloodwork were out of my budget so I am holding off. We gave him IV, two injections, one for antibiotics and the other for nausea I believe. He also has mortazapine

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Here is an update on the vet:

Dexter had a fever of 105.6, the technician had to check twice to make sure because it was sooo high for my poor boy. The doctor then came and asked about him, if there was any changes, but the only thing we're his vaccines given to him the week before.

The x-rays and bloodwork were out of my budget so I am holding off. We gave him IV, two injections, one for antibiotics and the other for nausea I believe. He also has mortazapine
Mirtazapine* and Laxatone.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wonder he was drinking so much, poor boy. :sickcat: I'm very glad you found a vet who was willing to take it seriously! What do you want to bet that Dexter picked up a bug at the vet's office when he got his vaccinations?

Please see this article; it may help: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Also, if you have to choose between blood work and X-rays, in this situation I'd go with the blood work.

Margret

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was another cat that they let roam around the vet that was owned by the clinic. And when he got his vaccines they never even checked his temperature or heart beat so they were very neglectful.

They said if he isn't better in two days I should take him back for lab work. And I will definitely choose the blood work first! Thank you so much!

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Wanted to chime in because I was in a real similar situation (being a first time cat owner with a sudden change in appetite and lack of pooping). I'm really glad you got your guy in right away to get checked out. I didn't know about the liver problems that cats got when they don't eat (everyone was telling me that she'll eat when she's hungry but MAN cats will starve themselves) and went a week without her eating much (as in only ate something, very little, one day that week) and it ended up with my kitty having some real liver issues that we're still fighting off.

My cat Mika didn't run a fever but I would recommend as soon as you're able to, get the blood work! They can tell a lot from that and it was what really helped in monitoring my kitty while she's been sick.

I would suggest that if he doesn't eat much to try and give him some calories through KRM (kitten replacement milk) which will also help his hydration. When my girl was real sick I syringe fed her that. It at least will give him more calories.

Best of luck with this and keep us updated on him!

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Wanted to chime in because I was in a real similar situation (being a first time cat owner with a sudden change in appetite and lack of pooping). I'm really glad you got your guy in right away to get checked out. I didn't know about the liver problems that cats got when they don't eat (everyone was telling me that she'll eat when she's hungry but MAN cats will starve themselves) and went a week without her eating much (as in only ate something, very little, one day that week) and it ended up with my kitty having some real liver issues that we're still fighting off.

My cat Mika didn't run a fever but I would recommend as soon as you're able to, get the blood work! They can tell a lot from that and it was what really helped in monitoring my kitty while she's been sick.

I would suggest that if he doesn't eat much to try and give him some calories through KRM (kitten replacement milk) which will also help his hydration. When my girl was real sick I syringe fed her that. It at least will give him more calories.

Best of luck with this and keep us updated on him!
Wow thank you! He ate a bit this morning and I just gave him the pill to increase his appetite so I'm hoping he will eat a little bit later today.

I'm planning to get the blood work done if he isn't himself tomorrow night. The new vet I went to were very thorough and made sure that if I didn't have the budget that I could just call in at any time without an appointment in case the worse came. They also let me know they would call a couple times to check up on him as well which was very sweet.

I'm just hoping he is a little better tomorrow so he can have some food and water and use the litter box!:lovecat::sickcat:

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you! He ate a bit this morning and I just gave him the pill to increase his appetite so I'm hoping he will eat a little bit later today.

I'm planning to get the blood work done if he isn't himself tomorrow night. The new vet I went to were very thorough and made sure that if I didn't have the budget that I could just call in at any time without an appointment in case the worse came. They also let me know they would call a couple times to check up on him as well which was very sweet.

I'm just hoping he is a little better tomorrow so he can have some food and water and use the litter box!:lovecat::sickcat:
My girl was given a liquid appetite enhancer called Entyce which never worked for her. I've heard good things about the Mirtazapine as an appetite enhancer.

That's very sweet of them! I'm super glad that you've found someone that will really take care of him. I know I definitely felt at one time that my vet was just running me in circles for the money.

A side note, though, I've read that cats have a low thirst drive. I don't know how real it is, because I have seen cats go for drinks when they want and beg for it (my roommate's cat will jump into sinks and scream till you turn on the facet for him-- as terrible as that sounds he was a huge part in me getting my kitty) but it stuck for me. I would definitely keep the water near and changed regularly, have wet foods available because that will also help hydration and calories, and get the KRM.

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl was given a liquid appetite enhancer called Entyce which never worked for her. I've heard good things about the Mirtazapine as an appetite enhancer.

That's very sweet of them! I'm super glad that you've found someone that will really take care of him. I know I definitely felt at one time that my vet was just running me in circles for the money.

A side note, though, I've read that cats have a low thirst drive. I don't know how real it is, because I have seen cats go for drinks when they want and beg for it (my roommate's cat will jump into sinks and scream till you turn on the facet for him-- as terrible as that sounds he was a huge part in me getting my kitty) but it stuck for me. I would definitely keep the water near and changed regularly, have wet foods available because that will also help hydration and calories, and get the KRM.
Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know that someone has gone through this and is willing to help. I really appreciate it so much! :touched:

Hopefully the medicine kicks in, but I'm letting him rest and I'm keeping a watch on him.

IMG_20180619_153936_576.jpg

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know that someone has gone through this and is willing to help. I really appreciate it so much! :touched:

Hopefully the medicine kicks in, but I'm letting him rest and I'm keeping a watch on him.

View attachment 238103
No problem!!

It's hard not to want to help with a cute face like his! :loveeyes::hearthrob:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
:heartshape:You found a fantastic Vet! :cheerleader:
I hope Dexter continues to improve, definitely post more photos of your beautiful boy. Keep us updated :touched:
:hangin: :vibes::vibes::vibes::sickcat::poop::poop:

Last edited:

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning (6am) Dexter has eaten around 3 small handfuls straight from my hand because he refuses to eat his food by himself. :confused2: He seems interested but sniffs and walks away so I have been hand feeding him little by little too get something in him.

He also peed a ton this morning and he's walking around and exploring on his own! And he's meowing to get into rooms and I think that's very Dexter-like :lol:

Now I'm just waiting for the poop!!! :poop:
And for him to eat on his own! Also he has not drank any water, he had an IV yesterday, should I be concerned about that?

To be honest, I'm just very happy he is walking around and exploring. Im hoping that's a sign his fever is gone! :crossfingers:

IMG_20180306_132637_266.jpg

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
This morning (6am) Dexter has eaten around 3 small handfuls straight from my hand because he refuses to eat his food by himself. :confused2: He seems interested but sniffs and walks away so I have been hand feeding him little by little too get something in him.

He also peed a ton this morning and he's walking around and exploring on his own! And he's meowing to get into rooms and I think that's very Dexter-like :lol:

And for him to eat on his own! Also he has not drank any water, he had an IV yesterday, should I be concerned about that?

To be honest, I'm just very happy he is walking around and exploring. Im hoping that's a sign his fever is gone! :crossfingers:

View attachment 238173
He has such a sweet face :hearthrob: I don't have any input about the IV, so far we haven't dealt with any. Peeing is good. We wasted a LOT of wet food until Gypsy finally decided on Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers. It is the only wet she will eat. Her vet Dr. Kate said it was acceptable.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and ask about him drinking less water. My cat was hospitalized for 3 days for a different medical issue and I was told that he may eat and drink less for 24 hours. My vet may have told me that because he was on an IV for 3 days so I am not sure if the same thing would apply to a single treatment.

One thing you can try to get him to eat more would be plain cooked bonless chicken in tiny pieces. I did this with my Starbuck to re-start her appetite after she was treated for kitty stomach flu years ago. I gave this to her for 24 hours and then was able to get her back on her dry food. If your baby is not on a prescription food from the vet this may be something to try. If your baby is on a prescription food then please call and check with your vet first.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and ask about him drinking less water. My cat was hospitalized for 3 days for a different medical issue and I was told that he may eat and drink less for 24 hours. My vet may have told me that because he was on an IV for 3 days so I am not sure if the same thing would apply to a single treatment.

One thing you can try to get him to eat more would be plain cooked bonless chicken in tiny pieces. I did this with my Starbuck to re-start her appetite after she was treated for kitty stomach flu years ago. I gave this to her for 24 hours and then was able to get her back on her dry food. If your baby is not on a prescription food from the vet this may be something to try. If your baby is on a prescription food then please call and check with your vet first.
Yes call your wonderful vet and ask.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

View attachment 238173
Peeing is really good! Hydration is super important! I would agree with the others that the best thing to do is call your vet to make sure his lack of water intake is okay because of the IV. Mika got IV fluids a few times and I don't recall her having a huge thirst drive during that time but I was also feeding her wet food so I wasn't super concerned.

Mika didn't poop for a really long time. If you're still doing dry food, it might just be because there hasn't been enough for him to poop.

Dexter is SUCH a pretty baby. I'm glad he's acting a little bit more like himself again! :yess:

Chicken is a great idea and so is tuna! Tuna is a little tricky though because I've read that cats will get addicted and won't eat anything else. I went through that sort of with Mika but it was fixed by getting her really smelly tuna food.

ampreyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I called the vet and the doctor was thinking about prescribing some antihistamine or pain killer but I first elected to have a blood test done before hand so tomorrow around 12-1pm we will be going in for that and hopefully we have a better answer to what is wrong and if it is worrisome or not. I'm hoping it's not something severe. :bawling:

I had a can of chicken with pumpkin gravy and he actually took a couple seconds to try it and drink up a tiny bit of the gravy soup before he went to rest again.

I'm also trying to give him maple maple flavored Laxatone and he absolutely hates it! He will not lick it off of his paws and when I just quickly stick my finger to put it in his mouth he gives me little baby meows like he hates it so there's that! :frustrated:

And thank you everyone for your support. Dexter does not realize how loved he is. :touched::redheartpump:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I called the vet and the doctor was thinking about prescribing some antihistamine or pain killer but I first elected to have a blood test done before hand so tomorrow around 12-1pm we will be going in for that and hopefully we have a better answer to what is wrong and if it is worrisome or not. I'm hoping it's not something severe. :bawling:

I had a can of chicken with pumpkin gravy and he actually took a couple seconds to try it and drink up a tiny bit of the gravy soup before he went to rest again.

I'm also trying to give him maple maple flavored Laxatone and he absolutely hates it! He will not lick it off of his paws and when I just quickly stick my finger to put it in his mouth he gives me little baby meows like he hates it so there's that! :frustrated:

And thank you everyone for your support. Dexter does not realize how loved he is. :touched::redheartpump:
:catrub: